• 58(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
I can not confirm anything because I do not have intel kaby lake yet. I wrote that I want to build a new based on intel kaby lake. So I'm asking if this will work?
Please drink some coffee and then read this post carefully again: Wink

(2017-09-01, 13:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 13:18)kowalmisiek Wrote: Can I count on 4k 60hz movies and Dolby truehd and DTS HD on this motherboard and this processor?
If you run Windows only.

Otherwise when using Linux/LibreELEC - Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Audio has to be decoded to lossless Multichannel PCM for no loss in Audio quality.

NO HD Audio Passthrough when using LibreELEC on Apollo / Kaby Lake Intel Hardware that has the Display Port > HDMI 2.0 adapter.
Forget about Dolby Atmos and DTS:X all together with Linux/LibreELEC.

A dirt cheap $35 AMLogic S905X running LibreELEC Kodi can do a better job than what Intel Apollo / Kaby are currently offering for Linux users !

(2017-09-02, 09:22)wrxtasy Wrote: A dirt cheap $35 AMLogic S905X running LibreELEC Kodi can do a better job than what Intel Apollo / Kaby are currently offering for Linux users !

If you judge on HD-Audio output, this is true. But in general it's wrong. Lanczos3 Scaler available? Sync Playback to Display available? Multi-Channel PCM output fixed yet?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-09-03, 08:45)fritsch Wrote:
(2017-09-02, 09:22)wrxtasy Wrote: A dirt cheap $35 AMLogic S905X running LibreELEC Kodi can do a better job than what Intel Apollo / Kaby are currently offering for Linux users !

If you judge on HD-Audio output, this is true. But in general it's wrong. Lanczos3 Scaler available? Sync Playback to Display available? Multi-Channel PCM output fixed yet?
LibreELEC only - because that is where Intel HD Passthrough Audio is not working.

Lanczos3 Scaler available ? - No - never needed to use it due to reliable LE 1080p / 4K Auto resolution switching. Let the 4K TV upscale everything.
Plus personally... stuff all SD/DVD/720p content these days anyway - no scaler is going to improve low bitrate 480/720p content.

Sync Playback to Display available ? - Yes that is working.
No need to use anyway as Adjust Display refresh rate works reliably for smooth Fractional video playback since Kodi Jarvis.

Multi-Channel PCM output fixed yet ? - Yes been working for maybe a year now.

Plus $35 AML S905X device with LE @kszaq builds (RC testing) will give you 10bit 4K HDR & VP9 video playback/output as well - for what little HDR content there is.

(2017-09-03, 10:27)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-03, 08:45)fritsch Wrote:

LibreELEC only - because that is where Intel HD Passthrough Audio is not working.

Lanczos3 Scaler available ? - No - never needed to use it due to reliable LE 1080p / 4K Auto resolution switching. Let the 4K TV upscale everything.

Plus personally stuff all 720p content these days anyway - no scaler is going to improve low bitrate 480/720p content.

Ah - for those of us who watch DVDs and SD Live/Recorded TV - decent upscaling (like Lanczos3) is definitely worth having. This has been an area that Intel has usually been significantly better than many ARM solutions.
I just care about live tv. And are you working on intel kaby lake and DTS HD / Dolby TrueHD? As you can see at this point LibreELEC does not support NVIDIA and AMD, and for INTEL there is poor support. Are you able to recommend hardware that will work well and without problems and with LIVE TV?
(2017-09-03, 22:37)kowalmisiek Wrote: I just care about live tv. And are you working on intel kaby lake and DTS HD / Dolby TrueHD? As you can see at this point LibreELEC does not support NVIDIA and AMD, and for INTEL there is poor support. Are you able to recommend hardware that will work well and without problems and with LIVE TV?

What do you mean about no support for nVidia ? There may be issues around recent cards and drivers - but nVidia VDPAU support has historically been good in LibreElec in the generic builds (they stopped doing nVidia specific builds once it was possible to do a single build for Intel and nVidia). (The bigger issue is that nVidia don't currently support 10bit HEVC decode under Linux - but that's not a LibreElec-specific issue)
(2017-09-03, 22:37)kowalmisiek Wrote: I just care about live tv. And are you working on intel kaby lake and DTS HD / Dolby TrueHD? As you can see at this point LibreELEC does not support NVIDIA and AMD, and for INTEL there is poor support.
You have it backwards, it's NVIDIA, AMD and Intel that first have to provide the Bug Busted Linux driver support for their own hardware before LE developers can even have a hope of adding new Audio and Video features to their releases.

Quote:Are you able to recommend hardware that will work well and without problems and with LIVE TV ?
An ASUS Chromebox running LibreELEC if high quality Live TV is your Only requirement. (Also does LibreELEC HD Audio)

OR

Any Intel i series Hardware that does NOT have the problematic Linux/LibreELEC Display Port > HDMI 2.0 adapter driver issues (meaning avoid Apollo / Kaby Lake Intel). LibreELEC HD Audio will then work BUT you will have to Software decode 10bit HEVC video and 4K 10bit Software decoded HEVC may be problematic.

OR if you already have an external TV / PVR networked server....

An AMLogic S905(X) box and run LibreELEC or OSMC on it, if you need Hardware decoding of 4K 10bit HEVC, HD Audio passthrough, Beta tested 4K HDR support, high quality Live TV using Advanced Motion Adaptive deinterlacing, BUT do not care about low bitrate SD TV Lancos3 software upscaling.

I've used the AML S905(X) LibreELEC option for about 1.5 years now for 1080p/4K 10bit HEVC and Live TV use. It's fast enough, reliable hardware for everyday Kodi use, especially if running from eMMC Flash storage and combined with a Wireless remote control.

(2017-09-04, 00:46)noggin Wrote:
(2017-09-03, 22:37)kowalmisiek Wrote: I just care about live tv. And are you working on intel kaby lake and DTS HD / Dolby TrueHD? As you can see at this point LibreELEC does not support NVIDIA and AMD, and for INTEL there is poor support. Are you able to recommend hardware that will work well and without problems and with LIVE TV?

What do you mean about no support for nVidia ? There may be issues around recent cards and drivers - but nVidia VDPAU support has historically been good in LibreElec in the generic builds (they stopped doing nVidia specific builds once it was possible to do a single build for Intel and nVidia). (The bigger issue is that nVidia don't currently support 10bit HEVC decode under Linux - but that's not a LibreElec-specific issue)

I was just about 10 bit hevc. Unfortunately there is no and will not support a pity Sad
(2017-09-04, 08:18)kowalmisiek Wrote:
(2017-09-04, 00:46)noggin Wrote:

I was just about 10 bit hevc. Unfortunately there is no and will not support a pity Sad

The way you phrased it was as if LibreElec chose not to support nVidia, the reality is that nVidia aren't fully supporting Linux. (Just as Intel don't with the long-standing interlaced VC-1 issue - unless that has finally been resolved...)
I was thinking of purchasing a LibreELEC satellite tuner (live tv). I wanted to have hdmi 2.0 and running DTS HD and Dolby True HD. I would like it to be fast and stable. I tested WETEK PLAY 2 and know that there were problems with it, so I do not believe in small boxes.

Tell me if you can see new Intel drivers on the horizon for DTS HD and Dolby True HD? Will they ever be?

I have ordered the motherboard, processor and memory, but now I do not know whether to give up as I read about these problems.

I've already bought an amd 460 graphics card and no sound on it. Now I have the geforce 1050 graphics card but it's not working 10 bit hevc again. In intel again will not work DTS HD and Dolby True HD. Crying wants Sad
Options now if you want to use LibreELEC and HD Audio Passthrough:

a) Cancel order immediately and wait for Intel "Coffee Lake" - that might work - who knows ?
b) See a)
c) Complain to NVIDIA, AMD & Intel about poor Linux driver support.
d) Run Windows 10 only
e) Use Kodi's 7.1 DTS HD & Dolby True HD Audio decoder to decode and output Audio as losless 7.1 Multichannel PCM - for no loss in Audio Quality.
You will just not see DTS HD or Dolby True HD lights blinking on your AVR and see 7.1 PCM instead. Smile

Thanks for the answers. I'm wondering whether to wait for the new Intel Coffee Lake processors. Maybe it will be the same with them as with kaby lake. Poor support for linux.

And which do you think box arm works best? What do you say to the odroid c2? I'll buy sat tuner separately on enigma.

Generally in the code is a weak interface as far as LIVE TV is concerned. Hard to understand In the enigma this is much better solved. As for me, pressing ESC on the keyboard should ask whether I want to stop watching TV ?, rather than showing the main menu and the TV in the background works. The same thing when watching movies should be.
The other secret option that out GURU wrxtasy didn't think about is AMD Ryzen based mini PC that should come in the next couple of months from Zotac...
I think if there will be LE development for them, they will crush Intel immediately ...
(2017-09-04, 15:45)kowalmisiek Wrote: And which do you think box arm works best? What do you say to the odroid c2? I'll buy sat tuner separately on enigma.

You need to be buying an external networked HDHome run if you want TV Tuner certainty with any ARM Amlogic device because you cannot just plug any old USB TV Tuner in and have it work. They use an old Linux Kernel and lack modern DVB tuner support.

I know of no one running a AML LibreELEC box connecting to an Enigma.

Intel and RPi's are running a modern Linux Kernel and have much better USB TV Tuner support.

BTW: Any Kodi Box can remap its remote control buttons with the Kodi Keymap editor Addon.
Which is downloaded from Kodi Repository > Program

To Stop video playback in Kodi Krypton for example is a Long press of the remote control Back button. Sounds like you need to get familiar with Kodi remotes and Short and Long remote control button pressing functionality.

• 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3