• 7(current)
Solved Stuttering unless OSD is on
(2018-05-09, 22:05)beeswax Wrote: Popy, I raised this issue in the Windows subforum here, as this is the Linux section you might want to try posting in that thread.  I thought it was really strange that nobody else chimed in because having experienced the problem on hardware ranging from a NUC i3 Intel GPU through to 5820k/1080Ti systems, it clearly affects a broad range of hardware.
Thx for the hint. Didn't realized that this is the Linux section. Just goggled the thread and posted [emoji56]

Will post in the windows thread tomorrow.

pOpY
I struggled this problem sometime and I believe I found the solution but it is possible it is only my case. I had stuttering unless OSD is on several days after updating Kodi to 17. I checked many parameters with no result. Deep debugging shows that Kodi uses OpenGL libraries and there was the problem. I use usual Intel videocard which uses i915 driver so OpenGL works thru MESA. glxinfo said:
Code:
direct rendering: No
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.3
I was pretty surprised. Why 1.4 and where is DRI? The answer is here. Intel driver i915  by default drops GL version to 1.4 and make it adequate is quite tricky: you have to add next lines to /etc/drirc 
Code:
<driconf>
    <device driver="i915">
        <application name="all">
            <option name="stub_occlusion_query" value="true" />
            <option name="fragment_shader" value="true" />
        </application>
    </device>
</driconf>
and reboot. The problem solved - no more stuttering.

WARNING #1: If you have Optimus and use i915 instead of nvidia make sure that while nvidia is not used OpenGL uses proper GL, GLX and DRI libraries. It could be checked by ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo. The output must not contain nvidia's GL, GLX and DRI libraries.

WARNING #2: For smooth playing some videos Kodi may require enabling of MESA VA-API MPEG4 support which is disabled by default. You could turn it on by setting environment variable VAAPI_MPEG4_ENABLED=1
Here is full list of environment variables of MESA.
This issue seams fixed for 1080p and 720p Mkv files and TV streams from my Ceton 6 tuner card via ServerWMC for the May 27th nightly! Thank you so much for resolving this bug, devs! I am running with DXVA2 on via my R9 270 graphics, windows 7 x64 HTPC.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows...er-x64.exe
i still have this problem. my dirty workaround is to display a very small FPS overlay in the right upper corner of the screen with rivatuner. -> no stuttering, same like OSD on. i hope someday a good nightly will fix this.
I've gone back to a feb nightly for now to get past this problem...
(2016-12-21, 09:06)goodton Wrote:
(2016-12-19, 22:31)goodton Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 00:01)runel Wrote: For the last couple of Betas (certainly 5&6) I have experienced video stutter (to the degree you cant watch it), UNLESS OSD is on.. Play a movie, it stutters.. display the OSD (any of them I think) and the video plays just fine.. Turn OSD off and video stutters again..

Anybody else experience this?

I'm experiencing the same issue in Windows 10 x64. So it seems that this is not Linux specific. 

As I have the GTX 1050 Ti -display adapter in my HTPC, I started to test and tweak different settings in Nvidia Control Settings to tackle this issue. As a background, in my case this problem is clearly related to specific combination of settings and video files played in Kodi Krypton, Jarvis works fine and also I have tested this in MPC-HC/BE with no problems:

- HW-acceleration is ON
- True Fullscreen in ON
- Adjust Display Refreshrate ALWAYS
- high bit rate material, especially HEVC-coded 4K

By setting from the Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D-settings -> Vertical Sync -> Fast this issue disappeared completely. As most of the settings are more or less related to 3D-acceleration, they are not relevant in Kodi-case. But Vertical Sync naturally is. As a side note, this setting seemed to have a negative impact on Live TV-picture in Kodi PVR but toggling the deinterlacing setting (DXVA/OFF) seemed to work. More testing needed in this area.

I don't know does this help at all the OP as I'm on different platform (Windows 10 x64) but nevertheless I find this interesting and hopefully helps in debugging. 

Wanted to thank you for this and say it's still relevant in 2020 - I have a GT 1030 on Windows 10 and was getting stuttering problems on older remuxes (movies from the early 00s), but more recent files were playing fine.  This solved the problem for me!
Funny. I see this thread was inactive for years already by now
But I'm having the exact same issue on my PC with Windows 10 x64. I tried playing my TV from my Hdhr tuner, it plays perfectly when the OSD screen in on, but the second it turns off, the video starts freezing up right away and stutters horribly.
I tried turning on and off the Deinterlacing method, in the video settings. But that didn't change anything.
I was so glad to find this exact issue talked about here, not alas I don't really see a clear solution here. Especially not for Windows.

If anything else is still having this issue, or if anyone could help me troubleshoot it. I'd very much appreciate why help
Thanks
(2022-02-14, 12:49)Joeyrub Wrote: Funny. I see this thread was inactive for years already by now
But I'm having the exact same issue on my PC with Windows 10 x64. I tried playing my TV from my Hdhr tuner, it plays perfectly when the OSD screen in on, but the second it turns off, the video starts freezing up right away and stutters horribly.
I tried turning on and off the Deinterlacing method, in the video settings. But that didn't change anything.
I was so glad to find this exact issue talked about here, not alas I don't really see a clear solution here. Especially not for Windows.

If anything else is still having this issue, or if anyone could help me troubleshoot it. I'd very much appreciate why help
Thanks

Ah ok. I think I solved the issue. For me it was The Render method setting, I changed to Software, and it's working perfectly now.
First I tried turning on the Sync to display setting, it made it a lot smoother, so at first I thought that was it. But then I saw that whole it might be a lot better, it still isn't playing perfectly smooth, so I kept trying other settings, finally the Render Method sweet to software did the trick. I even turned back off the Sync to display option now, and still works perfectly smooth now.
Hope this helps someone else here
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering unless OSD is on0