Lock down the HDHomeRun
I was thinking about using the HDHomeRun CONNECT hardware for its dual tuners since I couldn't find any other dual-tuner device that was as cheap and worked with the Raspberry Pi. My plan was to run a Tvheadend backed on a raspberry pi 3 with an external USB HDD for storage (I don't want to tax my NAS with PVR duties). I already have 2 Pi3/Kodi appliances in the house which would act as the front-ends.

Since I don't need the HDHomeRun to actually stream anything itself to devices, I wanted to lock it down as much as possible. Can I disable the WiFi? How about the DLNA?

Alternately if someone knows of a dual-tuner device that works with the Pi (the lists I found were unhelpful or out of date), then I could use that instead. It does seem like I'd be disabling much of the functionality for the HDHeomeRun.
No HDHR device has WiFi, so no worries on that front. If you truly want to lock it down, connect the HDHR to a USB Ethernet adapter on the Pi, setting the IP address in the adapter to 169.254.1.1/16. In this case, the HDHR will assign itself an IP address from 169.254.0.0/16, and in this manner it can only access from the Pi and otherwise inaccessible from the rest of the network; similarly, the HDHR cannot see anything other than the Pi. The only disadvantage in this setup is the HDHR cannot get a DeviceAuth token since it cannot talk to the internet, but this only matters if you need SiliconDust's guide.
(2017-01-11, 23:27)rpcameron Wrote: No HDHR device has WiFi, so no worries on that front.

I believe you, but then why make a distinction in the product comparison of the CONNECT/PRIME using 802.11ac WiFi and the EXTEND using 802.11n?

(2017-01-11, 23:27)rpcameron Wrote: If you truly want to lock it down, connect the HDHR to a USB Ethernet adapter on the Pi, setting the IP address in the adapter to 169.254.1.1/16.

This would cost me the ability to manage the HDHR remotely, but it's a sound option.

Thanks for the input.
Then set it up with a proper ip address but a different subnet. The pi should route between networks.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-01-11, 23:42)tribunal88 Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 23:27)rpcameron Wrote: No HDHR device has WiFi, so no worries on that front.

I believe you, but then why make a distinction in the product comparison of the CONNECT/PRIME using 802.11ac WiFi and the EXTEND using 802.11n?

(2017-01-11, 23:27)rpcameron Wrote: If you truly want to lock it down, connect the HDHR to a USB Ethernet adapter on the Pi, setting the IP address in the adapter to 169.254.1.1/16.

This would cost me the ability to manage the HDHR remotely, but it's a sound option.

Thanks for the input.
The WiFi distinction is because the Extend transcodes, and the Connect does not. Previously the website used to say WiFi only for the Extend.

Personally, I use Primes over WiFi to stream HD MPEG2 (~12-18Mbps) over .11n to a couple Pus in my house without problem. But, my wifi channels are set statically so I get little interference from neighbors; your mileage will definitely vary. In general, if your are recording/streaming raw HD streams, wired is always better.
(2017-01-11, 23:42)tribunal88 Wrote:
In the comparison, SD is saying that the CONNECT/PRIME requires 802.11ac to work over WiFi because it is MPEG-2 only while the EXTEND can transcode to h.264 so that stream can be done over 802.11n.

MPEG-2 has a much higher bitrate and therefore would require much more bandwidth if you attempt to stream over WiFi.

They don't make that clear in their marketing AT ALL.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lock down the HDHomeRun0