• 2(current)
Advanced MAME Launcher - MAME frontend for Kodi
Hi Wintermute0110, first I want to thank you for writing the AML add-on. I've used MAME with Kodi for years, but only using MAME's built-in UI to launch ROMs. It's much nicer to view and launch ROMs from within Kodi.

I get an error whenever trying to open any "Ball & Paddle" category. I'm pretty sure this is due to the ampersand, because all the other categories I've tried work. This issue doesn't affect ROMs with an ampersand in their name, like Cloak & Dagger.

A couple suggestions:
1. Allow choosing the ROMs default assets/artwork as AEL does. Currently I must put the snaps in the titles folder for them to display properly in Estuary.
2. Add a switch in the Display Settings to only display working (not Imperfect or Preliminary) ROMs.
(2017-01-21, 22:56)Bmn2016 Wrote: Hi Wintermute0110, first I want to thank you for writing the AML add-on. I've used MAME with Kodi for years, but only using MAME's built-in UI to launch ROMs. It's much nicer to view and launch ROMs from within Kodi.

I get an error whenever trying to open any "Ball & Paddle" category. I'm pretty sure this is due to the ampersand, because all the other categories I've tried work. This issue doesn't affect ROMs with an ampersand in their name, like Cloak & Dagger.

You are welcomed. I hope you will like AML. OK, will have a look and solve that bug ASAP.

(2017-01-21, 22:56)Bmn2016 Wrote: 1. Allow choosing the ROMs default assets/artwork as AEL does. Currently I must put the snaps in the titles folder for them to display properly in Estuary.

Currently all values are hard-coded, yes. Icon is hard-coded to Title and Fanart is hard-coded to Snap. Will add this feature ASAP.

(2017-01-21, 22:56)Bmn2016 Wrote: 2. Add a switch in the Display Settings to only display working (not Imperfect or Preliminary) ROMs.

OK, it is a very good idea yes. I have included it on the TODO list.
(2017-01-21, 22:56)Bmn2016 Wrote: I get an error whenever trying to open any "Ball & Paddle" category. I'm pretty sure this is due to the ampersand, because all the other categories I've tried work. This issue doesn't affect ROMs with an ampersand in their name, like Cloak & Dagger.

I have fixed this in Github. Problem was that the ampersand was not escaped with %20 in Kodi URLs. For ROMs bug did not manifest because the URL contains the short name of the machine which never has ampersands.

Still didn't code the 2 suggestions but I'm working on it.
New AML release 0.9.1

Release notes and upgrade

AML 0.9.1 only works on Kodi Krypton and up. Main new feature is the support for nplayers.ini. There are 2 new main filters in the addon root: "Machines by Number of players" and "Machines by Device". Also, in the addon settings you can configure whether to display non-working machines or not.

To upgrade from 0.9.0, after 0.9.1 installation you have to rebuild the databases and scan for ROMs/assets again.

Advanced MAME Launcher | version 0.9.1 | 04 February 2017

FEATURE AML only works on Krypton now. Updated addon.xml with new fields.

FEATURE Add support for nplayers.ini.

FEATURE Count machines in "Extract MAME.xml" step and not in "Build MAME database" step.

FEATURE Print the number of clones each machine has. In general, print the number of items on a submenu.

FEATURE Add catalog by Devices. This will help launching software list machines.

FEATURE In a parent list, if there is not clones, then add the ability to launch games from the parent list. Only coded for indexed machines and not for cataloged machines. See http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.p...Post108507

FEATURE Switch in settings to diplay Working machines only. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2506150

FEATURE Improved categories in "Machines by Control Type catalog".

FIX "I get an error whenever trying to open any "Ball & Paddle" category. I'm pretty sure this is due to the ampersand, because all the other categories I've tried work. This issue doesn't affect ROMs with an ampersand in their name, like Cloak & Dagger." See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2506150. Problem was that the '&' in the Kodi URL was not escaped.
With AML 0.9.1, the Ball & Paddle categories are working now. Also, MAME opens properly in full screen, so thanks for fixing this.

The Display switches for Non-working and Imperfect machines are a welcome addition.

I've now moved from AEL to AML for launching my MAME games. Great job!
@Bnm2016 Good it works well Big Grin

Some issues I've found:

1) On the Main filters and Binary filters, if a machine has no clones then you can launch from the Parent only list. If a machine has clones, the number of clones are printed and you can enter the Parent/Clone set list. This has an unintended consequence: machines with clones show first and then machines with no clones. Maybe this is a Kodi core bug because the alphabetical order is broken. Any way, I will think of a solution. If you like this I can extend also to Catalog filters.

2) Scanning for samples and CHDs is not working yet.

3) Software Lists cannot be launched.

For 0.9.2 I will work on solving these (focusing on the Software Lists launching). Also, if you have some ideas or feature requests please tell me.
Hi Wintermute0110, since you asked, here are a couple more feature requests:

1. Add a Favourites section (like AEL's) where ROMs can be bookmarked.
2. In the ROM's context menu, add selections to view its MAMEINFO.DAT and HISTORY.DAT content.

Thanks!
(2017-02-06, 02:14)Bmn2016 Wrote: Hi Wintermute0110, since you asked, here are a couple more feature requests:

1. Add a Favourites section (like AEL's) where ROMs can be bookmarked.

I have plans to do that. However, MAME machines and Software List launching must be working perfectly before I can fix the format of AML Favourites.

(2017-02-06, 02:14)Bmn2016 Wrote: 2. In the ROM's context menu, add selections to view its MAMEINFO.DAT and HISTORY.DAT content.

Thanks!

Good idea. Will include MAMEINFO and HISTORY.DAT in the TODO list.
Hello,
I just installed it, configure it following the instructions but the emulator opens and closes in less than a second in all games I tried. I'm on an arch linux machine and I have sdlmame installed which works with QMC2 frontend.
(2017-02-10, 19:10)dancaer69 Wrote: Hello,
I just installed it, configure it following the instructions but the emulator opens and closes in less than a second in all games I tried. I'm on an arch linux machine and I have sdlmame installed which works with QMC2 frontend.
Have you configured paths in MAME.ini?
Thanks. This file was autoconfigured to use $HOME/.mame directory. I changed the paths to the directory I keep mame roms etc and now the emulator working fine.
New AML release 0.9.2

New Advanced MAME Launcher with a lot of new features! The most prominent improvement is the ability to launch Software Lists ROMs. A new filter "Machines with no ROMs" has been added to the main menu and some other filters have been improved. Cataloged Filters can launch machines with no clones from the main menu. Also, a new sorting method by the number of machines have been added which makes navigation more pleasant. Ever wonder what is the most used controller in MAME? What is the Software List with more machines? The information view on the context menu has been improved and you can check the standard output/input MAME prints after each execution. This is very useful when debugging problems.

Release notes and upgrade

After upgrading from 0.9.0 or 0.9.1 just rebuild the databases and scan for ROMs/assets again.

Advanced Emulator Launcher | version 0.9.2 | 12 February 2017

FEATURE Ability to sort cataloged filters by number of machines.

FEATURE New Main Filter "Machines with no ROMs".

FEATURE Launch parents with no clones from the parents list in Catalogued filters.

FEATURE Use a fancy name for well-known MAME drivers.

FEATURE On filter `Machines by Software List`, substitute short SL name by the proper SL name.

FEATURE Display MAME stdout/stderr.

FEATURE Scan Software Lists.

FEATURE Launch machines with software lists.

FIX Use SORT_METHOD_LABEL_IGNORE_FOLDERS insead of SORT_METHOD_LABEL. This avoids folders to be rendered first when sorting listitems alpahbetically.
"Open AML settings, in the tab Paths configure the MAME executable"

Is that the Launcher Asset directory?

"In AML root select any item, open the context menu, select "Setup plugin". Execute, in consecutive order:"

I'm not seeing that in the context menu.

You're using confusing language in your tutorial by using Launcher when you mean emulator.
(2017-02-14, 03:51)UKVaper Wrote: "Open AML settings, in the tab Paths configure the MAME executable"

Is that the Launcher Asset directory?

"In AML root select any item, open the context menu, select "Setup plugin". Execute, in consecutive order:"

I'm not seeing that in the context menu.

You're using confusing language in your tutorial by using Launcher when you mean emulator.
There are no Launchers in AML. Well... There is only one launcher which is MAME. In the add-on settings you configure MAME executable (MAME.exe in Windows) and the dirs with your ROMs and artwork.

The add-on root is the list window you see when you enter the add-on first. The window where you see "Machines (with coin slot)", etc. Bring the context menu on any of these filters and you must see the Setup plugin menu. The documentation on the first and second post is for 0.9.0 and is now somewhat obsolete for 0.9.2 but you just execute the menus in consecutive order.

If you are not capable of configuring AML I will put more screenshots.
Great work on the add-on. Just thought I'd let you know that the fanart (snaps) don't appear for me when using the Estuary skin on Kodi 17 (Ubuntu). They appear fine if I use Confluence.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced MAME Launcher - MAME frontend for Kodi2