Android Cannot access SMB shares on Windows 10
(2018-10-13, 21:26)Milhouse Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 20:47)fredphoesh Wrote: Thanks, but I tried that and "Connection timed out" after about 1 second...
So frustrating.

Your Windows 10 PC no longer supports SMB1 - you may be able to re-enable SMB1 support in Windows 10, but there are good reasons why Microsoft are disabling SMB1 support so it's not something I'd recommend. Running an NFS server on Windows 10 is possible and would avoid the problems wth SMB.
For Gods sake listen to this man.

And the other VERY good suggestion is use Android Kodi Leia Beta with its included SMB 2/3 support, there is even an Android Installer Kodi Addon to easily upgrade the the very latest Leia nightlies, built into Kodi itself.

OR use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

(2018-10-17, 17:10)fredphoesh Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 17:03)calexicoca Wrote: I can confirm (after 3 days full time working on googling solution) THE ONLY OPTION which works is installing Leila and setting SMB client in configuration (at least on Android box). So don't waist any more time by trying finding other solutions because believe you me - THEY DON'T WORK.
By that do you mean simply setting up the SMB on kodi file manager, or somewhere else? File manager doesn't work with SMB for me. When you say ONLY OPTION, what about NFS? (which I haven't had success with either as I don't understand what I have to do other than to enable it in win10)
Tx
Mark. 
I had no problem with NFS, only SMB. When I said only option that was the only option for SMB (which is the topic of this thread, isn't it). Kodi v17 did not have option to set version of SMB and v3 was default which you could not change. In Leila you have that option, therefore no problem with connecting with SMB shares. IF you have problem seeing NFS that is not the topic of discussion in this thread.
(2018-10-18, 13:24)calexicoca Wrote: When I said only option that was the only option for SMB (which is the topic of this thread, isn't it). Kodi v17 did not have option to set version of SMB and v3 was default which you could not change.

With Kodi 17 you can add the following to .kodi/.smb/user.conf:
text:

client min protocol = SMB2
client max protocol = SMB3

However whether this will work depends entirely on the underlying OS and whether the Samba library provided with the OS supports SMB2 and/or SMB3. I've no idea what version of Samba is shipped with Android these days, but in the past it was a version that supported only SMB1. If your version of Samba doesn't recognise SMB2 or SMB3 protocols then it will just ignore the above settings (if SMB3 isn't recognised then maybe SMB2/SMB2 will work).

If you don't see the Samba client options in Kodi 17 on Android then presumably it's because at the time of the Kodi 17 release most Android installations supported only SMB1 (NT1 is the technically correct protocol name for SMB1) and providing SMB2/SMB3 options would have been pointless and/or confusing.

And unless the Android Kodi packager changed the default Kodi 17 Samba configuration, the default is to *not* configure a specific client max protocol and instead rely on the Samba library to negotiate the client max protocol (prior to Samba 4.8 this would mean only ever negotiating NT1, but with 4.8+ the Samba library will finally negotiate the highest protocol supported by both client and server, so ideally SMB3).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for this. I will try to my another machine
Just to confirm:

Had Kodi 17.6 on my htpc. Couldnt access SMB neither through browsing or adding manually computername or ip. Got Windows 10 and tried all registermod I could find any nothing helped. Removed all registermods and downgraded to Kodi 16.1. Voila! Browsing smb works directly. Dont see a point in Kodi 17 since I only gonna use it for 1080-movies and it has worked fine since Kodi 14.
(2017-02-18, 20:58)itproman Wrote: I have the same problem.

I installed Kodi 17 on my Smart TV,but cannot add shares from my Windows 10 PC'.
I have been able to set up Weather,some official addons,but that's all.

I googled the problem and looked through some of the forum discussions and even tried chaning a few settings on the Windows PC,but,it still won't work;won't even show the folders beoyond "users" in fact.

Thankfully,I access the Windows Folders using Plex,so all is not lost.
Hello,

I tried all methods that mentioned above, but the finally solution is such easy, at least for me.

I come to share my solution.

Did you use a USB Hub to connect your hard driver? Tongue LoL
(2019-05-03, 12:31)colingpt Wrote:
(2017-02-18, 20:58)itproman Wrote: I have the same problem.

I installed Kodi 17 on my Smart TV,but cannot add shares from my Windows 10 PC'.
I have been able to set up Weather,some official addons,but that's all.

I googled the problem and looked through some of the forum discussions and even tried chaning a few settings on the Windows PC,but,it still won't work;won't even show the folders beoyond "users" in fact.

Thankfully,I access the Windows Folders using Plex,so all is not lost.
Hello,

I tried all methods that mentioned above, but the finally solution is such easy, at least for me.

I come to share my solution.

Did you use a USB Hub to connect your hard driver? Tongue LoL 
Hi,

How does a USB hub make a difference?
It has more power than your shitty box, if it's powered.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I don't understand why everyone wants to use the SMB method to access the files on the PC with Kodi.
I use the FTP method and it works great. You only need to install one FTP server on your PC, like FileZilla server.
(2018-06-09, 06:40)Dejabloo Wrote: I dont have a problem with moving away from SMB1, as soon as I find something that works.

So now I have installed Leia, but I am still having problems. I am getting an 'operation not permitted' msg. Do I need to do anything to turn on SMB2 support in Leia?

Same here, trying to get a SMB share added on 18.4 on an Android phone. Following this thread's various steps, I get "operation not permitted". I first tried adding SMB1 to the Windows 10 box and using legacy security, but that would time out when trying to access the share with the username and password. I double checked that I'm using the right username and password (Edit: see below). Now I'm trying with SMB2/3, manually adding the share as suggested, but I get "operation not permitted". I've also tried using the server's IP address rather than the server name, but that still doesn't work. I also checked .kodi/userdata/passwords.xml to make sure the information was correct. I also tried accessing a SMB share that does not have spaces in the path, and this gave me the same error, so that is also ruled out.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like a Windows Update possibly changed the nature of the "Guest" account that I was using to login to the SMB share? That, or something related to this changed. I found that it was disabled under Computer Management, and enabling it fixed the problem. According to the following, the Guest account is now treated differently, not sure when this changed, but I should probably come up with a different account to handle this, anyway: https://www.howtogeek.com/280527/how-to-...indows-10/
(2018-01-25, 23:27)buzzard4312 Wrote: Thank you for your solution. I came to the same conclusion, that my earlier problem of the so called "invalid argument" had to do with SMB. But I only saw it on the RPi LibreElect version. This version of Kodi implements SMB using all three newer versions. However my version of Windows 10 only provides for SMBv1. So if I wanted to use SMB, I had to set Kodi to SMBv1 max. This was the only way I could connect to shares on my Local Area Network.
Adventures in PC Land should be the title of a best seller.

Thank you for your solution.
I've been banging my head against this proverbial wall for some time now. Up until very recently I was using kodi on windows 10 PC's and quite comfortable too. I bought an Amazon firestick 4k and the problems came. adding a video source via windows network (SMB) was not working for me on kodi 18.5. i tried a few methods and steps including making changes in the router settings, the local machine network adapter settings and SMB features. in the end the last step was to set the "SMB client" in kodi to max vers. as SMBv1.

now i am getting the user credentials prompt and can access network shares. 
Thank you very much. 
if more details on the steps i took are needed. i can do so in a later post if needed.
I keep getting "Invalid Argument" for SHARED folders (became visible on Kodi after being shared) on one External Drive while no issues with another Ext HDD. 
Wierd? Both NTFS and checked permissions and security etc everything. 

Will this just take a reboot or something else?

PS: Windows 8.1 x64
(2020-03-10, 10:03)wifighost Wrote:
(2018-01-25, 23:27)buzzard4312 Wrote: Thank you for your solution. I came to the same conclusion, that my earlier problem of the so called "invalid argument" had to do with SMB. But I only saw it on the RPi LibreElect version. This version of Kodi implements SMB using all three newer versions. However my version of Windows 10 only provides for SMBv1. So if I wanted to use SMB, I had to set Kodi to SMBv1 max. This was the only way I could connect to shares on my Local Area Network.
Adventures in PC Land should be the title of a best seller.

Thank you for your solution.
I've been banging my head against this proverbial wall for some time now. Up until very recently I was using kodi on windows 10 PC's and quite comfortable too. I bought an Amazon firestick 4k and the problems came. adding a video source via windows network (SMB) was not working for me on kodi 18.5. i tried a few methods and steps including making changes in the router settings, the local machine network adapter settings and SMB features.
in the end the last step was to set the "SMB client" in kodi to max vers. as SMBv1.

now i am getting the user credentials prompt and can access network shares. 
Thank you very much. 
if more details on the steps i took are needed. i can do so in a later post if needed.   
Please do share details. What version of Kodi, installed from where & how, what steps and then what setup on Network and Windows & SMB Share.

Similar issues on FireStick 4K 
18.x would show nothing. 
Got 17.6 - worked fine with Shared on one Ext HDD. 
Now another Ext HDD attached to same PC with similar security/ permissions - Can see Share, cant enter it - INVALID ARGUMENT. 

Where is this SMBv1 setting. I'd like to try it.

Update:

Found it. Installed latest Kodi 32 bit on Firestick 4K -
But cant figure out why from same PC, same powered USB HUB, all shares SEEN via SMB v1 (so IP is not an issue or reason),
but one HDD shares are accessible, while others give INVALID ARGUMENT.

If not, I wonder whats with this weird Share behavior bias on 2 diff HDD shares.
(2018-01-07, 22:32)novikorisnik Wrote: Hi guys. I've just registered to post solution regarding connecting errors with Kodi using windows 10 SMB shares. (getting timeout error after I upgraded from win7 to win10 few days ago).

In windows 10, you have to enable SMB 1.0 because kodi uses this older version of SMB.

As explained here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

Cheers.
(2020-12-13, 07:13)trentdw Wrote:
(2018-01-07, 22:32)novikorisnik Wrote: Hi guys. I've just registered to post solution regarding connecting errors with Kodi using windows 10 SMB shares. (getting timeout error after I upgraded from win7 to win10 few days ago).

In windows 10, you have to enable SMB 1.0 because kodi uses this older version of SMB.

As explained here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

Cheers. worked!!!!! thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot access SMB shares on Windows 100