• 82(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Hi, how is working on this update auto switch from 4k(BT2020) to 1080p (REC709)? Because when i test is last time, this dont works well :-)
(2018-05-30, 05:57)Tinwarble Wrote: Here's some feature highlights, which are specific to Kodi use for the Android 8.0 update:

• Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020

There are more changes which can be found HERE, but these are probably the most important for Kodi use. 
 I really would like to know WHAT has been improved. Is it now on the same par as the ATV 4k?
(2018-05-30, 11:30)pameijer Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 05:57)Tinwarble Wrote: Here's some feature highlights, which are specific to Kodi use for the Android 8.0 update:

• Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020

There are more changes which can be found HERE, but these are probably the most important for Kodi use.  
 I really would like to know WHAT has been improved. Is it now on the same par as the ATV 4k? 

Suggestions elsewhere that to make use of the new colour space (aka gamut) conversion you need software to specifically call an API. Not sure Kodi, or MrMc, does that yet.
(2018-05-30, 10:55)riddle Wrote: Hi, how is working on this update auto switch from 4k(BT2020) to 1080p (REC709)? Because when i test is last time, this dont works well :-)
 I don't think there is any suggestion that the nVidia Shield TV will do automatic HDMI output switching between BT/Rec.709 and BT/Rec.2020 gamuts with this update, but there is a new API that allows for 709 content to be better converted to 2020 (effectively moving the gamut conversion from your display to your Shield TV - as the gamut conversion has to happen somewhere after all, as the primaries of your display don't change). However it looks like this API has to be called - so applications have to be aware of it.

It strikes me that Google - behind Android and Chromecast - are permanently wedded to either applications handling frame rate switching and gamut conversion - not the platform automatically (Android) or running devices at a fixed frame rate at all times (Chromecast - which can be manually switched between 50Hz and 60Hz in a chrome cast settings and that's about it?).
Ok, but if i use 4K projector Epson i needs somethink like "Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching". Epson is limited at hdmi cipset speed to 10,2Ghz. This works greate on my OPPO203 or Zidoo X9s...
(2018-05-30, 11:49)noggin Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 11:30)pameijer Wrote:

Suggestions elsewhere that to make use of the new colour space (aka gamut) conversion you need software to specifically call an API. Not sure Kodi, or MrMc, does that yet. 
Where were those suggestions made?  The last time it was discussed it was there was nothing for apps to implement.

That said, I'm currently hearing mixed results.  Some people are saying that it looks better (more of these, but it's a small sample), others have said it looks the same.  Until someone looks at the output to see if the colors are better or not you'll just have to go by your eyes.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Still no 7.0  update on my device...Any Help?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-09-26, 22:25)Tinwarble Wrote: You can't and it shouldn't take 15 clicks. Just press the Home button and then long press the back button.

Or if you haven't turned the sleep timer off just let it stay idle and it will go to sleep by itself.
 Should I turn the sleep timer off?  I have just set up the Nvidia Pro and run it through my theater center.  My remote is a Logitec Harmony One.  With my prior media center, I let the computer run all the time.  Should I do the same with the Nvidia.

Right now it turns off by itself after a bit and for some reason also turns off the TV when it does.

Also, should I update to Leia or wait for it to be final.  I am using 17.6 and I thought the integration from 18 might be nice.
(2018-05-30, 19:00)movie78 Wrote: Still no 7.0  update on my device...Any Help?
Are you in the Preview program?  If not then you aren't getting it right now.  If you are (or even if your aren't) then like the other 3 million people that are asking (in the Nvidia forum), you'll have to wait and stop asking.  It's a staged rollout and not everyone is getting it at the same time.

And before it's asked, no, you can't force the update and there are no images up yet.

EDIT: Also see this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...=2#5355245
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-05-30, 19:07)wdpcpa Wrote:  Should I turn the sleep timer off?  I have just set up the Nvidia Pro and run it through my theater center.  My remote is a Logitec Harmony One.  With my prior media center, I let the computer run all the time.  Should I do the same with the Nvidia.

That's up to you. If you don't want the Shield to go to sleep when idle, then yes. Or you can change the time it's in idle before it goes to sleep.

Quote:Right now it turns off by itself after a bit and for some reason also turns off the TV when it does.

Turn off CEC, if you don't want this to happen.

Quote:Also, should I update to Leia or wait for it to be final.  I am using 17.6 and I thought the integration from 18 might be nice. 

Again, up to you. I use v18 as my daily driver on all my Shields and find it pretty stable. But depending on what you use Kodi for you may find it the same or less stable. The only way to know is to install it and try it.
(2018-05-30, 19:09)Tinwarble Wrote:
Are you in the Preview program?  If not then you aren't getting it right now.  If you are (or even if your aren't) then like the other 3 million people that are asking (in the Nvidia forum), you'll have to wait and stop asking.  It's a staged rollout and not everyone is getting it at the same time.

And before it's asked, no, you can't force the update and there are no images up yet.

I was not asking for the update, thought the update was released to the general that is why I was wondering why my device is still not receiving an update.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2018-05-30, 19:29)movie78 Wrote: I was not asking for the update, thought the update was released to the general that is why I was wondering why my device is still not receiving an update. 

Didn't say you were asking for the update, but you did ask about the update and asked for "Help".
Quote:Still no 7.0 update on my device...Any Help?

The reset of that was preemptive for anyone else since I don't want this thread to become what the Nvidia forum has become, every other person asking about "where's the update".
(2018-05-30, 18:03)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 11:49)noggin Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 11:30)pameijer Wrote:  I really would like to know WHAT has been improved. Is it now on the same par as the ATV 4k?  

Where were those suggestions made?  The last time it was discussed it was there was nothing for apps to implement.

That said, I'm currently hearing mixed results.  Some people are saying that it looks better (more of these, but it's a small sample), others have said it looks the same.  Until someone looks at the output to see if the colors are better or not you'll just have to go by your eyes. 

I can't find them now - but it was in a thread elsewhere that was discussing applications needing to specifically enable the new colour space conversion API (wish we'd call it gamut conversion to distinguish from 'same primary' colour space conversion like 601<->709)  and bemoaning the fact that Android TV playback code already decodes the colour gamut etc. header in the file so 'knows' the gamut of the source and output so it should be doing it automatically?

@wesk05 should be able to tell us - I think he's done some proper analysis of the previous 709->2020 gamut conversion that the Shield TV did. (Reporting back that it wasn't perfect but that it was better than some feared ISTR)
(2018-05-30, 19:29)movie78 Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 19:09)Tinwarble Wrote:

I was not asking for the update, thought the update was released to the general that is why I was wondering why my device is still not receiving an update. 

In common with most large OS update releases, they are phased. Same thing happens with OTA updates on iOS devices, Android devices etc. AIUI. It's designed to stop update servers being swamped as everyone autoupdates at once.
I believe the roll out has been suspended while nVidia resolve some issues with the new release :-(
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188