Kodi 17 - rc3/rc4: problem in slideshow: playback of videos is stumbling
(2017-12-04, 15:24)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-12-03, 16:15)ado.1 Wrote: Unfortunately not working for RPi3
libreELEC Kodi 18 testbuild 1130 (Milhouse)

Still only audio and no video.
 Pi is a differnt story because it renders video to a separate plane. You need to poke the platform maintainer if you want to get this fixed on that platform 
I have the same issue on a pi2. Installed Kodi 18 alpha yesterday in the hope it would work but when playing videos in picture view I get a black screen and audio only. Also the thumbnails for these videos are green (full green or green lines).

Happy to put some effort in (test, post logs etc) but a little confused as this seems to have been fixed in general,  but for pi I read I need to poke the platform maintainer - who is that and how do I do that?
(2018-08-06, 11:52)kees667 Wrote:
(2017-12-04, 15:24)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2017-12-03, 16:15)ado.1 Wrote: Unfortunately not working for RPi3
libreELEC Kodi 18 testbuild 1130 (Milhouse)

Still only audio and no video.
 Pi is a differnt story because it renders video to a separate plane. You need to poke the platform maintainer if you want to get this fixed on that platform  
I have the same issue on a pi2. Installed Kodi 18 alpha yesterday in the hope it would work but when playing videos in picture view I get a black screen and audio only. Also the thumbnails for these videos are green (full green or green lines).

Happy to put some effort in (test, post logs etc) but a little confused as this seems to have been fixed in general,  but for pi I read I need to poke the platform maintainer - who is that and how do I do that? 
 post in the pi specific section of this forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166
Thanks, will do that.
Any news? The bug (that's it IMHO) is really annoying.
Thanks!
Same here with Kodi v18 Leia - Beta 1 on a Nvdidia Shield TV:

A video inside a JPG slideshow will show a black screen with audio available.
Tuner: DigitalDevices Octopus NET V2 S2 Max SAT>IP 8x
Server: DVBLogic V6 on Synology DS716+II DSM6
Client: Kodi17 on NvidiaShield AndroidTV
You have to bring this to the attention of the the platform (Android, Pi, etc) devs. This is not a generic issue.
(2018-09-08, 20:06)FernetMenta Wrote: You have to bring this to the attention of the the platform (Android, Pi, etc) devs. This is not a generic issue.
 Choosing a video for playback from the image browser directly is working fine! But playback from the slideshow does not work. And you are telling me that this is a platform issue? I wouldn't expect the video to play outside the slideshow if it is really a platform issue. This is hard to understand.
Tuner: DigitalDevices Octopus NET V2 S2 Max SAT>IP 8x
Server: DVBLogic V6 on Synology DS716+II DSM6
Client: Kodi17 on NvidiaShield AndroidTV
(2018-09-09, 12:35)ampeer Wrote:
(2018-09-08, 20:06)FernetMenta Wrote: You have to bring this to the attention of the the platform (Android, Pi, etc) devs. This is not a generic issue.
 Choosing a video for playback from the image browser directly is working fine! But playback from the slideshow does not work. And you are telling me that this is a platform issue? I wouldn't expect the video to play outside the slideshow if it is really a platform issue. This is hard to understand. 

Working fine on Linux X11/Wayland, Windows, OSX. Or in other words: on every platform that uses GUI plane for rendering video. Android and Raspberry Pi do not belong to this category.
This problem (first it was stumbling playback, then it became playback of audio only with a blank screen) of videos in the sequence of images of a slideshow has now been around for a rather significant period of time.

I last had this feature (videos playing back as part of a pictures slideshow) working correctly in Kodi 16. I *really* like this feature of Kodi slideshows, but it is no longer working.

The problem occurs on all versions of Raspberry Pis, both on OpenELEC and LibreELEC, for any MP4 video in the sequence irrespective of size.

I just configured a brand new RPi 3B+ with LibreELEC 8.90.004 (Kodi 18.0-beta-1) and even set the gpu_mem=256 in its config.txt, and tried all variations of hardware acceleration on and/or off.

The problem is persistent and not intermittent in any form or fashion.

I would be personally very grateful if the Kodi gods could have mercy on us grateful users and fix it.

If I can be of any assistance, do let me know.

I'd be happy to donate £40 for a fully fledge Raspberry Pi 3 system if that gets it resolved.

Given the variety of platforms for which this problem is reported, however, and that some knowledgeable people have even commented on the "Pictures" part of Kodi being the "unloved child of Kodi features", it may just be a generic problem in Kodi and not related to the platform at all. "Generic" in the sense that something is fundamentally wrong, it just happens to work on selected platforms, so where it is working, that is the non-generic exception, not the other way around.

Ordinary video playback of those videos works fine and always did and still does.

Sincerely, and gratefully for any attention for this problem,
pj
Quote:"Generic" in the sense that something is fundamentally wrong, it just happens to work on selected platforms, so where it is working, that is the non-generic exception, not the other way around.

You are wrong and I can just repeat myself. It works the the platforms I named and this is works as designed. I can't do anything if the responsible platform devs ignore this issue or you don't bring it to their attention.
I added it to the v18 internal release issue thread and the maintainers of the platform with issues were informed. As a short term workaround (at least for 320x240 videos) you can disable MMAL and use SW decoding. This should work fine (obviously no ponies for real h264 videos available that way on the mentioned platforms).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Any updates on this?  I am testing the Kodi 18.0-RC2 release with OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3, and the problem is still there, blank screen during video playback, only audio is heard.  This was working prior to Kodi 17.6, so is it really an issue with the Pi?
Absolutely same error on an Philips Android Smart TV with Kodi 18.0-RC3. A video in a slideshow is showing a black screen. Audio of the video is playing.
There seems to be a reported issue from two months back - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/14643, perhaps the Raspberry Pi box also needs to be checked under Environment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 - rc3/rc4: problem in slideshow: playback of videos is stumbling3