• 3(current)
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)
Reading wrxtasy's Recommended Hardware thread there's mention of the following issues with Kaby Lake:

No 3D video
No pass-through audio for HD codecs Atmos, DTS-X etc
No 192kHz 24 bit Audio (can I assume 96/24 is ok?)

Questions (specific to the Kaby Lake NUCs and LibreELEC):
Are there any other issues?
Are there fixes coming for any/all these issues (Kodi 18 or from Intel or workarounds)?

THX

Edit: Add 'and LibreELEC' to my questions above
You need to specify which exact operating system Windows 10 or Linux/LibreELEC ?

There is a difference in driver support if you read the START HERE thread carefully Wink

Looking at those so called problems, literally nothing would effect me. I have no interest in 3D or anything other than 5.1 audio.

Sometimes people nit pick too much with these things I think.
(2017-09-19, 10:05)wrxtasy Wrote: You need to specify which exact operating system Windows 10 or Linux/LibreELEC ?

There is a difference in driver support if you read the START HERE thread carefully Wink

Thanks wrxtasy. I'm a LibreELEC user. (I've edited my original post)
But no one has problems with the intel nuc (NUC7i3BNH yesterday updated drivers) under win10 and kodi 17.4 with h265 8bit video?Confused
I've been looking for fanless cases and this seems to be the only one around, I might buy it soon as the variable fan noise is getting annoying.

https://www.quietpc.com/akasa-newton-s7
Does anyone know if i5 is enough for 1080p 10-Bit H.264 ? (just kodi use)
(2017-11-08, 12:31)rooty Wrote: Does anyone know if i5 is enough for 1080p 10-Bit H.264 ? (just kodi use)

Do you have a sample anywhere that I can test with?

I think it should be powerful enough, but I have never seen any 10-bit stuff yet myself.
(2017-11-08, 12:31)rooty Wrote: Does anyone know if i5 is enough for 1080p 10-Bit H.264 ? (just kodi use)

More than enough in CPU/Software mode, i had this working on my ancient Intel G630T and now works also on my new Appollo-Lake (4-core) at ~30% CPU in Kodi for 10bit software only H.264 anime encodes.
@Andy2222, thanks for the reply. I remember there are was some artifacts on an older generation of NUC, unfortunately I don't remember exact model of a NUC. 

@docwra could you please check this sample:
Quote:https://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/[1080p][16_REF_L5.1][mp3_2.0]Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20no%20Shoushitsu%20BD%20OP.mkv
It's unwatchable for me (RPi 3) starting from the middle of the sample, too many artifacts. Thank you.
@rooty
Tried the Haruhi clip on my i5-2520M. Zero drops, zero skips.

And just for good measure, I just tried the same clip on my 2009 Core2 MacMini downstairs. Skipped some frames at the start of the KFX, but that's it. Smooth after that.

A Kaby i5 will be fine -- won't even break a sweat.
(2017-09-19, 11:30)docwra Wrote: Looking at those so called problems, literally nothing would effect me. I have no interest in 3D or anything other than 5.1 audio.

Sometimes people nit pick too much with these things I think.

Oh no. Absolutely 100%, 1000%, no. 3D is huge for many of us. But besides that - regardless, Intel promised us working features that they have not delivered on. There is a thread over on the Intel forums where we have been talking to Intel customer service and in some cases directly to the engineer. It has been ALL YEAR LONG. Intel has not fixed the issues in a driver release. And that's what should concern every single person reading this. A multi-billion dollar corporation fails to deliver on promised features and doesn't really devote the time or energy to fix what they promised. Regardless of whether you like 3D or not. Next time, the next issue that they treat so cavalier and only offer typed flatulence to us, the issue could well affect you.
My fanless Akasa case finally arrived for my NUC7I5BNH model, i'll install it tonight and see how it goes.

Are you going to run Windows on it? Am interested in seeing how PowerDVD might integrate with Kodi. Especially interested in HDR
(2017-11-14, 12:13)BBQPitMaster Wrote: Are you going to run Windows on it? Am interested in seeing how PowerDVD might integrate with Kodi. Especially interested in HDR

Hehe no way! LibreELEC works out of the box with it so no need for a bloated operating system here Wink

I've got it up and running now and the top temperature I have seen is 42 degrees after watching 4hours of HD live tv.

So far its been great!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)1