• 7(current)
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)
(2018-10-31, 07:38)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-26, 03:29)HomerJau Wrote: Kodi can do bit perfect audio...

So confirming this problem has been fixed ?

No 24bit/192kHz Audio for Sky / Apollo / Kaby Lake (click)

All good in latest LE alphas:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2787577

I’m going to buy a NUC8i3 and test
(2018-10-31, 07:38)wrxtasy Wrote: So confirming this problem has been fixed ?

No 24bit/192kHz Audio for Sky / Apollo / Kaby Lake (click)

I believe at least Kaby Lakes can not do 24 bit, only 16 and 32, but 24 to 32 bit conversion is lossless with zero padding.

Though i would not call it bit perfect after that even if there is no loss of information.
The NUC8i3 technical doc says:

LPCM, 192kHz/24 bit, 8 channel is supported on both HDMI and USB ports
Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio* (Lossless Blu-ray Disc Audio) on both HDMI and USB ports

The HDMI standard does not support 32 bit audio. Is there any commercial audio format available in 32bit?
Anything can be stated as "supported" - that is very common with cheap Chinese sellers, sprouting BS when selling cheap mediaplayers... when in reality in real world testing this sort problem can occur:

Skylake onward I believe...

NUCs not capable of 192kHz/24bit PCM audio via HDMI (click)

There are accusations in that thread of Intel now using False Advertising.

Thanks for the link wrxtasy.

My NUC8i3BEH arrives late this week. I’ll post my findings here.

Edit: The NUC arrived today. SSD and RAM tomorrow hopefully.
(2018-11-06, 21:50)HomerJau Wrote: Thanks for the link wrxtasy.

My NUC8i3BEH arrives late this week. I’ll post my findings here.

Good news. My new NUC8i3BEH plays FLAC multichannel 5.1 24/192kHz with latest LibreElec 9 alpha (Leia) using today’s Milhouse build.

Also playing by 24/96 PCM and DTS-HDMA music videos.

In both cases above by Denon AVR-X7200WA is showing the expected codec sample rates.

I’ll also post this the the Coffee Lake thread.
Cheers I will update my old NUC info then Smile

HomerJau - regarding your NUC8i3BEH - what about HDR support?
I'm using LibreElec which doesn't have full HDR support in Kodi Leia (or earlier). LibreElec uses tone mapping to display a 'correct looking' image but its not displayed in HDR.
(2018-11-12, 23:13)HomerJau Wrote: I'm using LibreElec which doesn't have full HDR support in Kodi Leia (or earlier). LibreElec uses tone mapping to display a 'correct looking' image but its not displayed in HDR.
 Do you know if there are any comparisons between 'full HDR' and 'tone mapping'?  How big of a difference is it?

I can't seem to find out if its worth getting a coffee lake NUC yet, or if I should keep struggling along with the current setup I have for playing HDR (which all have disadvantages in some way or another).
(2018-11-18, 15:05)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 23:13)HomerJau Wrote: I'm using LibreElec which doesn't have full HDR support in Kodi Leia (or earlier). LibreElec uses tone mapping to display a 'correct looking' image but its not displayed in HDR.
 Do you know if there are any comparisons between 'full HDR' and 'tone mapping'?  How big of a difference is it? 

Tone mapping is the process of mapping HDR video to SDR (and also - in some cases - mapping Rec 2020 wide colour gamut to Rec 709 HD colour gamut)

It won't be HDR - so you lose the very reason for having HDR in the first place?

UHD HDR that has been tone mapped will be SDR - and in colour and dynamic range terms probably not look as good as an original HD SDR grade (Where the colour grading has been done with an SDR destination in mind). The only benefit over HD SDR will be improved resolution.
(2018-11-18, 15:44)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-18, 15:05)Platypus2 Wrote:

Tone mapping is the process of mapping HDR video to SDR (and also - in some cases - mapping Rec 2020 wide colour gamut to Rec 709 HD colour gamut)

It won't be HDR - so you lose the very reason for having HDR in the first place?

UHD HDR that has been tone mapped will be SDR - and in colour and dynamic range terms probably not look as good as an original HD SDR grade (Where the colour grading has been done with an SDR destination in mind). The only benefit over HD SDR will be improved resolution.

Thanks for the explanation Smile
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)1