Wired Xbox 360 PC Controller ring LEDs flash constantly
I am using the latest alpha of Kodi 18 via OSMC on a Pi2. My wired XBox (PC version) controller ring LEDs flash constantly as if it is trying to find the controller. When I SSH into the box and run `sudo xboxdrv` (after `sudo rmmod xpad`) the flashing immediately stops and a single quarter ring is continuously lit as normal but I have to keep `xboxdrv` running over SSH.

Is this an issue with Kodi or OSMC?

Also, I noticed that browsing any menus with the gamepad buttons is silent whilst using the keyboard arrow keys give the normal navigation sounds.
This is an issue with older versions of the xpad kernel driver. Update your Linux kernel to 4.4 (I think that's when the new xpad fixes from Valve came in), and then xpad should be able to display the correct controller LED without xboxdrv.
thanks for the report! I'm showing off RetroPlayer at the embedded Linux conference this week, so I'll be able to address your report when I get a chance
(2017-02-23, 21:25)mwaterbu Wrote: This is an issue with older versions of the xpad kernel driver. Update your Linux kernel to 4.4 (I think that's when the new xpad fixes from Valve came in), and then xpad should be able to display the correct controller LED without xboxdrv.
`uname -a` reads
Linux osmc 4.4.27-7-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 24 03:38:31 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

(2017-02-23, 21:27)garbear Wrote: thanks for the report! I'm showing off RetroPlayer at the embedded Linux conference this week, so I'll be able to address your report when I get a chance
Thank you, hope it goes well.
I have been trying out some distros a couple of month ago(ones with kernel 4.4 and up), and some made my wireless 360 pad LED light to be constantly flashing. Those that I tried with that issue were Ubuntu Mate 16.04 & 16.10, Manjaro Mate, and Antergos with Gnome3. If you unplug/plug it, the blinking stops until you reset or turn the pc on again. I didn't have this problem with Xubuntu 16.04.
(2017-02-23, 22:57)Heat Wrote: I have been trying out some distros a couple of month ago(ones with kernel 4.4 and up), and some made my wireless 360 pad LED light to be constantly flashing. Those that I tried with that issue were Ubuntu Mate 16.04 & 16.10, Manjaro Mate, and Antergos with Gnome3. If you unplug/plug it, the blinking stops until you reset or turn the pc on again. I didn't have this problem with Xubuntu 16.04.
It seems OCMC / Kodi is built on top of Debian from what I can see. `lsb_release -a` says Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)

Tried reconnecting the controller, continues to blink. I am using the second USB port on the Pi rather than the first, I will try to see if that is causing any weird issues. EDIT: Removed all other peripherals and moved the controller to the primary USB port; no difference.
You could try updating from this GitHub repo:
https://github.com/paroj/xpad/blob/master/README.md
(2017-02-23, 19:41)myol Wrote: I am using the latest alpha of Kodi 18 via OSMC on a Pi2. My wired XBox (PC version) controller ring LEDs flash constantly as if it is trying to find the controller. When I SSH into the box and run `sudo xboxdrv` (after `sudo rmmod xpad`) the flashing immediately stops and a single quarter ring is continuously lit as normal but I have to keep `xboxdrv` running over SSH.

Is this an issue with Kodi or OSMC?

This is a kernel issue, so OSMC. However, this can be solved in Kodi, because xboxdrv is a userspace driver and can be ported to a Kodi add-on. I'll have a look at improving the xpad kernel driver, and if I don't have any luck then I'll create an xboxdrv peripheral add-on.

(2017-02-23, 21:25)mwaterbu Wrote: Linux kernel to 4.4 (...when the new xpad fixes from Valve came in)

(2017-02-24, 14:43)mwaterbu Wrote: You could try updating from this GitHub repo:
https://github.com/paroj/xpad/blob/master/README.md

I'll go through and extract the xpad fixes to kernel patches for LibreELEC/OSMC. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I'll proceed with the xboxdrv solution.

(2017-02-23, 19:41)myol Wrote: Also, I noticed that browsing any menus with the gamepad buttons is silent whilst using the keyboard arrow keys give the normal navigation sounds.

This is a known bug. Navigation sounds are actually tied to the keyboard... not navigation! That's why holding a key emits a headache-inducing barrage of noise.

The solution is to completely remove navigation sounds, and re-add them properly. This is a lot of work, and I don't particularly like the sounds anyway, so it'll be some time before this happens.
Just to say the flashing ring of lights seem to be fixed in the latest alpha of Kodi 18 via OSMC. Plugged in my controller and the correct led is lit up straight away. Thank you all for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wired Xbox 360 PC Controller ring LEDs flash constantly0