• 21(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
(2018-07-30, 13:31)docwra Wrote: Any ideas for a VESA mount so this can go on the back on the TV?
 It comes with a mount that you can screw to a wall/piece of wood or stick to the back of your TV.
(2018-07-30, 14:12)Lasborg Wrote: Does the Vero4K+ come with an external IR receiver like the old one? it does not show as "in the box" on the page.
 Yes -- the IR extender is included.
I don't think we ever listed that on the 'In your box' section before but I will amend that shortly. 

Sam
Hi, does the Vero 4K+ support automatic resolution change to the content's original material?
If not, is there a way to set a specific resolution and frame rate?
My JVC projector (RS520) only recognizes very specific resolution and frame rate combinations for 3D material.
(2018-10-29, 14:28)rylsiem Wrote: Hi, does the Vero 4K+ support automatic resolution change to the content's original material?
My JVC projector (RS520) only recognizes very specific resolution and frame rate combinations for 3D material.
 Hi,

Currently with Kodi v17: you can set the resolution to 1080p and enable Adjust Refresh Rate.
If you play 4K material; it will be output at 4K.

We looked in to outputting the native resolution in January, but this had some problematic corner cases. In Kodi v18 (of which test builds are available), you can whitelist acceptable resolutions. This will meet your requirements.

On v17 you can also fix a resolution and refresh rate, but this is not particularly recommended.
(2018-10-29, 15:28)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2018-10-29, 14:28)rylsiem Wrote: Hi, does the Vero 4K+ support automatic resolution change to the content's original material?
 Hi,

Currently with Kodi v17: you can set the resolution to 1080p and enable Adjust Refresh Rate.

We looked in to outputting the native resolution in January, but this had some problematic corner cases. In Kodi v18 (of which test builds are available), you can whitelist acceptable resolutions. This will meet your requirements.

On v17 you can also fix a resolution and refresh rate, but this is not particularly recommended. 
So, in Kodi v.17, even though you can set the resolution to 1080p, it will still automatically set the resolution to 4K if the material is 4K? That's great.
I quickly looked in the manual of the JVC RS520 for 1080p content only, for frame packing 3D, it supports 1080p/24HZ. I assume the Vero 4K+ still cannot handle this format, correct?
For SBS, it's 1080p/50Hz and 1080p/24Hz
For top and bottom, it's 1080p/24Hz.
I assume with 24Hz, they mean 23.976Hz.

You mentioned that in Kodi v18, you can whitelist certain resolutions (and frame rate combinations?). So let's say I whitelist 1080p/24Hz, 4K/24Hz and I would play a 3D movie with a 1080p/24Hz, then it would not try to upscale it to 4K/24Hz?
What would happen if the content is for example 4K/60fps, would it in that case not play?

Thanks for your reply.
If content is 3D, Vero will play it as 3D, but you are right, frame packed is problematic.

If content is 4k/60Hz it will play at that if your display can handle it.
(2018-10-29, 23:15)rylsiem Wrote:
(2018-10-29, 15:28)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
 Hi,

So, in Kodi v.17, even though you can set the resolution to 1080p, it will still automatically set the resolution to 4K if the material is 4K? That's great.
I quickly looked in the manual of the JVC RS520 for 1080p content only, for frame packing 3D, it supports 1080p/24HZ. I assume the Vero 4K+ still cannot handle this format, correct?
For SBS, it's 1080p/50Hz and 1080p/24Hz
For top and bottom, it's 1080p/24Hz.
I assume with 24Hz, they mean 23.976Hz.

You mentioned that in Kodi v18, you can whitelist certain resolutions (and frame rate combinations?). So let's say I whitelist 1080p/24Hz, 4K/24Hz and I would play a 3D movie with a 1080p/24Hz, then it would not try to upscale it to 4K/24Hz?
What would happen if the content is for example 4K/60fps, would it in that case not play?

Thanks for your reply. 
 No 3D MVC today (apart from SBS), even then experimental.
3D files need to have 3D. in their name to be appropriately flagged by Kodi.

If you play 4K60 content but don't whitelist that mode, it will simply be matched to the best possible mode. Resolution would be downgraded in the same way as if you played 4K material on OSMC currently via a 1080p display.

Hope this clears things up. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Sam
Other question. I currently have a Cinemavision addon in Kodi v17 that I use on my Shield TV/Android platform. Am I able to use that addon on the Vero 4K+ as well?
If so, I built certain movie flows with commercials in between as part of the functionality of this addon. Will I need to rebuild those with Vero 4K+?
It should work just fine. There are other users using this add-on. 

Keep in mind however that we do not develop or maintain this add-on; so it's something that might change in the future.

Cheers

Sam
(2018-07-25, 18:09)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Hi,

Heatsink is a bit bigger. We managed to introduce good thermal governing for the CPU a couple of months ago and this resolved issues for those using things like newsgroup downloaders (extracting can be CPU intensive). There were some reports of issues with the Mimic skin causing heat so we will soon introduce some GPU based governing as well as initial reports have been positive. 

Cheers,

Sam
 hi,

I'm wanting to purchase and will indeed be running sabnzbd. If a download finishes and begins to unpack while a movie is playing, is this likely to impact playback? Drives are usb 3.0 but I believe 4k+ only supports 2.0.

Ta
Hello,

I recently bought a vero 4k+ and I wanted to drop a quick nice review about this box because it's really a good one.
I am using xbmc for a really long time. I ran it on the first xbox, 2 computers, a Pi, a miBox, Odroid C1 and C2.

Obviously the vero 4k+ is a bit expensive comparing to the pi, Odroid, or any Android Box, but If you have a hdr 4k TV,
this one is probably the one you need. If you need more than kodi, you can also choose a shield, but for kodi, this one is perfect.
It plays just fine all of my movies. CEC just works and no need to fiddle with nfs and/or fstab for network sources.
Of course HDR mode is automatically triggered, refresh rate switching just works as well as switching resolution up.

Beside 'it justs works' I also wanted to tell that it's obviously a product engineered with passion and attention to details.
The packaging could resist a earth shake !
It is bundled with a nice rf remote, an IR Receiver, and a mount system (I haven't used them).

Is there things to improve : of course !

The first power experience is good. But since you are asked your langage and country, having the right on screen keyboard in kodi would be nice.
Honestly, I don't like the OSMC skin and quickly switched to the default kodi skin (that's just my taste)
Using CEC, the d-pad repeat rate is slow (I would say 2hz, so scrolling through a long list is a pain, even when using the scroller or chup/dwn).
There are other small annoyances, but they are on the kodi side.

Finally, I am very happy with this box, I don't find it that expensive considering that the package is really complete and that all that I needed works.
(2018-11-13, 09:27)pinn Wrote:
(2018-07-25, 18:09)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Hi,

Heatsink is a bit bigger. We managed to introduce good thermal governing for the CPU a couple of months ago and this resolved issues for those using things like newsgroup downloaders (extracting can be CPU intensive). There were some reports of issues with the Mimic skin causing heat so we will soon introduce some GPU based governing as well as initial reports have been positive. 

Cheers,

Sam
 hi,

I'm wanting to purchase and will indeed be running sabnzbd. If a download finishes and begins to unpack while a movie is playing, is this likely to impact playback? Drives are usb 3.0 but I believe 4k+ only supports 2.0.

Ta 
USB 2.0 should give you enough throughput to do this.
I recommend avoiding the NTFS partition format as there is a lot of overhead as it has to be handled in userspace (FUSE); which can slow down performance.

Hope this helps

Sam
(2018-11-13, 15:02)miljbee Wrote: Hello,

I recently bought a vero 4k+ and I wanted to drop a quick nice review about this box because it's really a good one.
I am using xbmc for a really long time. I ran it on the first xbox, 2 computers, a Pi, a miBox, Odroid C1 and C2.

Obviously the vero 4k+ is a bit expensive comparing to the pi, Odroid, or any Android Box, but If you have a hdr 4k TV,
this one is probably the one you need. If you need more than kodi, you can also choose a shield, but for kodi, this one is perfect.
It plays just fine all of my movies. CEC just works and no need to fiddle with nfs and/or fstab for network sources.
Of course HDR mode is automatically triggered, refresh rate switching just works as well as switching resolution up.

Beside 'it justs works' I also wanted to tell that it's obviously a product engineered with passion and attention to details.
The packaging could resist a earth shake !
It is bundled with a nice rf remote, an IR Receiver, and a mount system (I haven't used them).

Is there things to improve : of course !

The first power experience is good. But since you are asked your langage and country, having the right on screen keyboard in kodi would be nice.
Honestly, I don't like the OSMC skin and quickly switched to the default kodi skin (that's just my taste)
Using CEC, the d-pad repeat rate is slow (I would say 2hz, so scrolling through a long list is a pain, even when using the scroller or chup/dwn).
There are other small annoyances, but they are on the kodi side.

Finally, I am very happy with this box, I don't find it that expensive considering that the package is really complete and that all that I needed works.
 Thanks for taking the time to post a review up.

In Kodi v18, we will add support for changing the keyboard (system wide as well) based on the language chosen.
You should be able to adjust the repeat filter of CEC to your liking under Settings -> Input -> Peripherals -> CEC. 

Hope this helps

Sam
Thanks Sam. My drives are currently NTFS - what would you suggest I convert them to?
Hi,

exFAT is a good option if you'd like to move between machines. It still uses FUSE but the overhead makes less of an impact.
You can also share these disks with other devices on the network if you don't want to keep removing it from the device and plugging it in to a machine. You can install the Samba Server via My OSMC -> App Store to achieve this.

Sam
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4