• 24(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
(2018-09-25, 08:03)dragmore Wrote: Soo, im a bit confused. My Minix U9 is connected to my samsung 7005 which supports HDR10, and on FW08 stock, playing demo clips with hdr10 i can clearly see the hdr colours in kodi as well as HDR10 flagging on the tv side.. But most of the HDR downloads from torrent sites is grey and washed out. 
Tried Solo yesterday in HDR mode and it looks crap.. Almost like a black and grey movie.. TV is still saying HDR10 is on, yupp!!
Will this get better in Android 7.x version ?
No idea, ask MINIX if they can ever be bothered getting their damn forum up and running again !

...or use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, the special 1000nits version may work for you.

Quote:This is all I set in LibreELEC Kodi Audio Settings:

- Channels 5.1 or 7.1
- Best Match
- And I can leave all passthrough audio options on. 
5.1 / 7.1 AAC audio get's decoded to 5.1 / 7.1 PCM as confirmed by my Yamaha AVR and all Passthrough audio works. 
So LibreELEC will output PCM to the receiver?
I have my Minix U9H (kodi 17.6) linked directly to my TV via HDMI and then the optical directly to my Yamaha AVR 550 Receiver. 

After spending about 3 hours trying to get 5.1 on my receiver from AAC sources, I have just discovered that the Minix box only outputs AAC as stereo over SPDIF! I assume its the same for HDMI?

Will LibreELEC solve this problem? 

Thanks
(2018-11-01, 06:34)jonbennison Wrote: I have my Minix U9H (kodi 17.6) linked directly to my TV via HDMI and then the optical directly to my Yamaha AVR 550 Receiver. 

Not recommended, your TV will very likely introduce all sort of complications and mangle SPDIF output audio.
You would be looking in TV audio Settings for passthrough or RAW audio output to even try and get it to work.

Quote:After spending about 3 hours trying to get 5.1 on my receiver from AAC sources, I have just discovered that the Minix box only outputs AAC as stereo over SPDIF! I assume its the same for HDMI?

No it's the HDMI > TV > Optical that is interfering with the audio and resulting in 2.0 audio only.

Try this first: MINIX U9 > HDMI or U9 > Optical > direct to the Yamaha.
(then even HDMI ARC from the Yamaha to TV would be preferrable)

If you insist on using SPDIF..
Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > SPDIF

Kodi Audio settings > Reset above settings to default (down the bottom), then...

Kodi Audio Settings > Number of Channels > 2.0 (this with SPDIF is the number of audio data - transport channels Not the number of speakers)
Allow Passthrough > Enable
Dolby Digital AC3 > Enable
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding > Enable
DTS > Enable

That way 5.1 AAC will be transcoded into 5.1 AC3/DD to be compatible with SPDIF.
SPDIF is limited to 2 channels of lossless PCM audio or 5.1/7.1 of lossy AC3/DTS

Sorry I should have been clearer....My Minix is connected directly by optical cable directly to the receiver.

I'm sure I have tried the settings you have stated below, but I will double check later. 

It seems that Kodi is failing to transcode AAC before sending onto the receiver? DD and DTS source material are playing fine. 

I also briefly tried to use MINIX>HDMI>RECEIVER and this output Pro Logic Audio only, even for DD5.1 encodes.
(2018-11-01, 06:31)jonbennison Wrote:
Quote:This is all I set in LibreELEC Kodi Audio Settings:

- Channels 5.1 or 7.1
- Best Match
- And I can leave all passthrough audio options on. 
5.1 / 7.1 AAC audio get's decoded to 5.1 / 7.1 PCM as confirmed by my Yamaha AVR and all Passthrough audio works. 
So LibreELEC will output PCM to the receiver?  
 Yes - multichannel PCM is supported on (some/all?) AMLogic platforms - and so AAC can be decoded to PCM multichannel, rather than requiring a transcode to Dolby Digital 5.1.  The same approach is used for WMA and FLAC multichannel audio (and possibly multichannel DSD SACD stuff?)

AIUI there may be an AAC bit streaming protocol defined for HDMI audio now - but it's not supported by mainstream amps (at least not yet)
Hi, have downloaded the LibreElec SD creator for my Minix U-9H and used a Samsung Evo card, but when I boot from the card I just get stuck at the LibreElec with text in the top left had of the screen that says: LibreELEC (wrxtasy-kszaq): 8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit and then nothing else happens. 

is it something to do with the device tree? How do I find out what device tree I need?

Thanks and sorry for posting this here but as I live in China I cannot post in the libreelec forum as it's blocked and even using a vpn won't let me sign in.
(2018-11-08, 17:46)jonbennison Wrote: Hi, have downloaded the LibreElec SD creator for my Minix U-9H and used a Samsung Evo card, but when I boot from the card I just get stuck at the LibreElec with text in the top left had of the screen that says: LibreELEC (wrxtasy-kszaq): 8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit and then nothing else happens. 

is it something to do with the device tree? How do I find out what device tree I need?

Thanks and sorry for posting this here but as I live in China I cannot post in the libreelec forum as it's blocked and even using a vpn won't let me sign in.
Hi, no problems...

Download the following U9 device tree and rename to dtb.img and save that to the SD card, overwriting the already existing one:

Google Drive - gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb
or
Mega - gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb

The LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5.1-444-1000nits.tar found in THIS Google Drive Folder is the current up to date release.

Ok thanks, that has worked. Now though my only few of my movies begginign with 'A' are showing in the library and none of my TV shows. I've added the NFS sources of course but every time it scans it finds the titles but doesn't show them in the library. 

Any ideas?
Hello my friends
I just signed up for the forum because I saw this thread about minix. I'm thinking of buying it to replace WD TV 1st Gen. But I have a question. Many files that i can find are .mkv in x265 1080p.. Can these files be played by minix?
Thank you very much in advance.
(2018-11-21, 16:21)costis Wrote: Hello my friends
I just signed up for the forum because I saw this thread about minix. I'm thinking of buying it to replace WD TV 1st Gen. But I have a question. Many files that i can find are .mkv in x265 1080p.. Can these files be played by minix?
Thank you very much in advance.
 Those files will play just fine on the Minix. I have many 4k HEVC (x265) movies and not a hiccup yet.
They will play fine. Do you plan to use DD or DTS? If you do then I highly recommend you use LibreElec on a USB drive that is plugged into your Minix as this plays audio without sound dropouts. The androind system that runs kodi on the stock Minix currently has problems playing DD and DTS via both optical and HDMI.
Well, thank you for tolding me that. This is very important to me. Most of my movies include audio in dd and a few dts.
Can't sound be transferred from another program other than kodi? 
And why they haven't fix this problem yet with a new version of firmware?
(2018-11-22, 14:43)costis Wrote: Well, thank you for tolding me that. This is very important to me. Most of my movies include audio in dd and a few dts.
Can't sound be transferred from another program other than kodi? 
And why they haven't fix this problem yet with a new version of firmware?
 Do you need Android?  Most of us with the U9-H are booting into LibreElec where all DD/DTS/HD Audio formats are bitstreamed fine.
It may be fixed in version 18 of Kodi, I posted a thread asking, but no one replied so I downloaded the LibreELEC softward to make a bootable TF card that has kodi pre installed and this works perfectly. You can then either boot into the android OS on the box if you want android features, but if you're just using it as a media player over a network you'll probably always boot into LibreELEC.

Kodi is playing the video and the sound so i'm not sure what youmean when you say 'Can't sound be transferred from another program other than kodi? '
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6