XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V1: an USB disk image
Are you logged in as local administrator?
Yeah I am im the only user on my computer
any news on an ATi/NV compatible build of this? fascinated to try it out personally.
Any work on LiveXBMC is currently on hold waiting for the new EnvyNG package (1.1.x) for hardy. This will allow building packages on a development PC and integrate the ATI/nVidia drivers onto a LiveXBMC USB/CD image without additional build packages.
Cheers
Luigi
cool, great to hear it'll be possible some day, right now I have it booting as far as loading the intel xorg.conf and then my graphics freak out (ATi) , I think when I eventually build a dedicated machine for XBMC i'll probably want to boot it off of flash like this just to save on power and noise from a hdd.
What will be the difference between that and installing Ubuntu with minimum features checked on a 4 gig stick along with XBMC? I tried this 1st before installing linux, but didn't work because of my Geforce card. So i installed ubuntu on my USB 300gig i had extra sitting around, but also messed around and bought and installed ubuntu on my 4 gig USB stick, and also XBMC, and works fine. I only have about 870megs left, and can remove a bunch of unneeded stuff, but i don't know enough yet about ubuntu to know what NOT to remove. Knowing me i would remove the wrong thing and have no GUI left. But for now, 870megs free is plenty for me for my USB Ubuntu install w/xbmc.
Looking forward to the 3-4 level of linux xbmc that would be selt contained and ran as a kernel. That will be perfect and small for USB sticks (I know, it's the direction the team is wanting to head for that purposde.)
But for all the people out there just messing around with ubuntu for the 1st time, give it a try, it's not anything scary, and makes linux SO easy for a newbie. I've tried linux 3-4 times over the past 10 years, and i'm using Ubuntu about 35% of time now, and L-O-V-E it!!!! After playing and using it for a few weeks now a lot, i'm already pretty comfortable using anything i need to do with it. And using most of the 3d desktop stuff, knowing a lot of the shortcuts already even. Very nice OS!!!
i was looking at the xbmc live usb version, i tried it but due to my nforce based mainboard and nvidia gfx it wouldnt boot, but i got to thinking about putting one together myself.

so my first consideration is although the readme says ubuntu is needed is there the possibility that it could be compiled on a more light weight distro, for ease probably something debian based, but slackware would be nice due to its size

and my second question is the minimal size requirements, my usb stick is only 2gb is it actually feasible that i could fit an os on and compile it within this space. or better yet can i compile xbmc on another system and transfer the finished result to the os on the stick? or is there a reason it has to be run on the os it compiled on?
profspudhed Wrote:my first consideration is although the readme says ubuntu is needed is there the possibility that it could be compiled on a more light weight distro, for ease probably something debian based, but slackware would be nice due to its size
I would recommend using Ubuntu Mobile as the base, see:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded

profspudhed Wrote:my second question is the minimal size requirements, my usb stick is only 2gb is it actually feasible that i could fit an os on and compile it within this space.
well l.capriotti managed to fit his Ubuntu Mobile based 'LiveXBMC' on a 512MB USB-memory-stick so I do not think 2GB will be a problem, (I actually think a 1GB USB-memory-stick would be a good compromise, and making the full image fir on a 650MB CD-R for easy distrobutiuon and installation). See:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30857

profspudhed Wrote:better yet can i compile xbmc on another system and transfer the finished result to the os on the stick?
I honestly do not know, though I asume that l.capriotti installed Ubuntu Mobile from a CD directly onto the USB-memory-stick on the machine he intended his image to work on and compiled XBMC in that OS, then he took that USB-memory-stick to a other computer which already had an operating-system and created the image from there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:I honestly do not know, though I asume that l.capriotti installed Ubuntu Mobile from a CD directly onto the USB-memory-stick on the machine he intended his image to work on and compiled XBMC in that OS, then he took that USB-memory-stick to a other computer which already had an operating-system and created the image from there.
Close Laugh

One of the Ubuntu Mobile creatures is an image creator, that builds a chrooted environment where packages can be installed and the result file system can be put into a CD image, or a Live USB image, or an USB image that can be used to install the custom ubuntu system onto an hard disk.

Typically you don't want to have development packages in an embedded system, so you create two similar environments, one with the basic system and the other wil all the tools and libraries to be used to build a package, XBMC as an example. Once compiled, the resulting application can be transferred in the "lighter" chrooted environment and the resulting image can be built.

Cheers

Luigi
thanks guys, havent had much chance to work on it the past day or two due to being on nights at the mo, but hopefully i should have the time after the weekend
Hi,

I had some problems with booting the USB-stick.
1. formatting with HP-USB format program
2. Copying the files to the USB-stick
3. using Syslinux using -ma option in syslinux.exe (instead of -f)

C:\syslinux\win32\syslinux -ma I:

-m = install bootable MBR sector
-a = mark the partition used active
I: is my USB-stick

best regards
jarwha Wrote:Hi,

I had some problems with booting the USB-stick.
1. formatting with HP-USB format program
2. Copying the files to the USB-stick
3. using Syslinux using -ma option in syslinux.exe (instead of -f)

C:\syslinux\win32\syslinux -ma I:

-m = install bootable MBR sector
-a = mark the partition used active
I: is my USB-stick

best regards

I used syslinux in linux, which I've used to make dozens of bootable usb sticks... however I had a problem this time... after trying everything I could think of and then trying again with windows syslinux I started to think I had a bad usb stick... here's the thing, after formatting and reformatting and making a usb stick bootable many times, you can get a corrupt mbr..

I installed lilo and ran lilo -M at the device level /dev/sd* and it fixed it.
I'm new to Ubuntu but I was wondering if there was/could be a plan to include Unichrome drivers in the image? If not I suppose I could always put them there on my own...

http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,
Devan
No point in including VIA (unichrome) drivers. They don't have the 3d support required for XBMC.
althekiller Wrote:No point in including VIA (unichrome) drivers. They don't have the 3d support required for XBMC.

Am I incorrect in assuming that all 3d access is done through openGL? If that is the case I though that Xorg supported unichrome 3d after 6.9.

It would be nice to get XBMC running on one of VIAs embedded application boards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V1: an USB disk image0