Proposal - Google Photos integration
Google Photos Addon

Name: Google Photos Addon
forum/e-mail:
Summary: Bring Google Photos support to our beloved media center of choice
How will I achieve this: I hope somebody catches this ball ;-)

best regards
Anthrax

PS: Lots of Google folks around - so API stuff should be easy ;-)
An excellent idea, especially if it also includes showing captions. I find myself using google photos for my phone/computer, but then having to create all new albums to copy pictures to my NAS to view in Kodi.

Carl.
CoreELEC 9.03
Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO
Minix Neo U9-H, Logitech Harmony Elite
This would be a cool pictures python addon.
Could we also have integration of Nextcloud? Would be quite cool, I think.
No offence but IMHO creating a Google Photos python addon for Kodi is a large enough task to be a GSoC project.

If you read the list of proposed ideas from Team Kodi you see that that are are suggestion for core features.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Google_Summer_of_C...discussion

Addons are not core features. At least not unless your idea is to extend the Addons API for a new type of addon.
We're open to addon ideas, so long as they are enough work for a full summer. They have the added benefit of potentially being easier for students and not subject to the difficult requirements of merging into the core code base while still being usable. The big question, of course, is whether there are addons out there that would be a full summer's work.
If google photos alone wasn't enough to for a full summer maybe add other parts of Google's suite?
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
(2017-03-07, 09:53)smitchell6879 Wrote: If google photos alone wasn't enough to for a full summer maybe add other parts of Google's suite?

Or be designed in such a way that it's basically a generic provider for the image capability already in place?

I.e. under "Add Source" add Google Photos as a source. Or even take it one step further and just add "Online Service" and then in the configuration part have Google Photos.
That way it could be extended with onedrive/pinterest/imgur/instagram/whatever next big thing is by simply adding more providers.

May not be possible of course, but I just imagine it working akin to how e.g. the movie information parsers work.
(2017-03-07, 12:54)Shadowsoul Wrote:
(2017-03-07, 09:53)smitchell6879 Wrote: If google photos alone wasn't enough to for a full summer maybe add other parts of Google's suite?

Or be designed in such a way that it's basically a generic provider for the image capability already in place?

I.e. under "Add Source" add Google Photos as a source. Or even take it one step further and just add "Online Service" and then in the configuration part have Google Photos.
That way it could be extended with onedrive/pinterest/imgur/instagram/whatever next big thing is by simply adding more providers.

May not be possible of course, but I just imagine it working akin to how e.g. the movie information parsers work.

That would be fantastatic!!!
(2017-03-07, 12:54)Shadowsoul Wrote:

I would much rather see that someone lay the ground work and added database based Pictures Library with picture database VFS (Virtual File System) to Kodi as per this proposal from GSoC 2012 from Garrett Brown (a.k.a. garbear):

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=127816

garbear started coding this but never finished the project as he began worked on many other projects for Kodi

https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/photolibrary

Now if Kodi had a database based Pictures Library with picture database VFS then you have the potential of making the pictures node just as awersome as the Movies, TV Shows, and Music nodes are in Kodi.

Again, this would be a core feature for Kodi, and not an Python addon.

If you first did that groundwork by adding a database based Pictures Library with picture database VFS to Kodi, then you can look into making an VFS addon each for Google Photos, Flickr, Pinterest, imgur, instagram, etc. as addons for that photo library.

PS: As you probaably already know, Kodi already have a database based Video Library and a database based Music Library, and it is these libraries with databases that make Kodi into a real media center.
I think this might be quiet a task. I struggle to find a google photos api client (or picasa from my understanding) that is maintained.
(2017-03-09, 23:56)Razze Wrote: I think this might be quiet a task. I struggle to find a google photos api client (or picasa from my understanding) that is maintained.

That is exactly why I proposed this project - I just hope someone at Google will have a change heart when they are looking in the sad students eyes ;-)
I never understood why there is no API for such a core service.

Google's Photo strategy seems to be mobile only at the moment - but my guess is they haven't even figured it out themselves.
Hey there young devs,

Google finally released the API for Google Photos: https://developers.google.com/photos/
Anybody up for the task?! 

Wink

That would be the icing on the cake - at least for me...

regards,
Anthrax
It would be great if you can integrate your google photos into KODI Pictures .  \/
I would also like to have a plugin for Kodi for viewing google photos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal - Google Photos integration3