[WIP] Quartz 5 (Krypton support)
Just got Bookmarks (Chapters) working in the VideoOSD for Jarvis. Should work the same for Krypton.
I posted an issue I'm having with the Krypton version on github, but thought I would mention it here for the non-github aware users. Tried this on 17.3 Kodi on my Odroid C2 and whenever I stop playing a video I get a blackscreen for somewhere around 45 seconds before the Kodi UI comes back up. It's only happening for me with this krypton skin is active.
(2017-06-01, 05:54)aiko Wrote: I posted an issue I'm having with the Krypton version on github, but thought I would mention it here for the non-github aware users. Tried this on 17.3 Kodi on my Odroid C2 and whenever I stop playing a video I get a blackscreen for somewhere around 45 seconds before the Kodi UI comes back up. It's only happening for me with this krypton skin is active.

I've recently noticed the same issue here.. it happens rarely though.

I'm currently still working in my new house so the new builds for this will still pend. On the bright side, the only thing that has to be done now is buying new furniture..
Yeah, it's weird one. Never expected a skin to generate that kind of issue. I need to backup my kodi and then reset to default and install the skin with nothing else and load up my library to see if it is reproducible. I'm currently using Libreelec for Odroid C2 FWIW.

Good luck with the furniture hunting Smile
I just added in the full screen info for video on my Jarvis version and it should be compatible with the krypton version (I can probably test that out on my mbp later). Used the existing OSDInfoNF.png in /Media/OSD which was from the old quartz 4 but doesn't look too tragic. I put it between the added Bookmarks icon and the current Options icon. As far as I know this makes the video osd pretty much complete with the exception of Soli's seek step indicators.

Added a few things to the existing DialogFullScreenInfo.xml like Year, MPAA Rating, Genres . Year and especially rating are nice to check out if you have kids etc.
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I'm making a couple of fixes/changes as requested in github -> https://github.com/TPX01/skin.quartz.kry...its/master
Feel free to add more requests or bug reports.. The next thing I'd like to do is to make a repository so you people do not need to download these zip files all the time Smile.. what do you think?

@Dynaflash: I can't see your commit, can you post it in PM or in this topic? I'll see how I can include those things in the Krypton skin.
(2017-07-14, 00:55)TPX001 Wrote: @Dynaflash: I can't see your commit, can you post it in PM or in this topic? I'll see how I can include those things in the Krypton skin.

Just tried it again. seems to be showing up on Pecinko Master maybe because you're a fork of it (even though I clone it originally from your fork?).

Anyway, here is the link to it. https://github.com/pecinko/quartz/pull/48
downloaded the latest Krypton nightly (19 October 2017) and the quartz master, but I cannot install it, as it says it's got an unmet dependency: xbmc.gui 5.12.0
This is the Krypton version, is it not? Anything I need to do to get it to work?
duh... it's Leia. Krypton is the current. My mistake. I guess it all starts again. Let's find out what needs to be changed for the next version (which I need because it's got a PVR in it finally that I want)
Starting to try to add PVR functionality to Quartz, I am using Jarvis as I am on ATV 1's so am working on that platform however I'd have to think it could translate to Krypton and above. THat being said I see Quartz is waaay behind on pvr as for some reason the Krypton repo includes none of the default xml files for pvr. It's kind of odd but the Jarvis version at least includes MyPvr.xml which goes to a blank screen for the most part.

Has anyone made any headway on PVR in Quartz? If so, it'd be nice to combine efforts. If not, I will plow ahead on Jarvis as that's what I use.
Since quartz is nicely minimal, how hard would it be to take the PVR part from another skin and simplifying it? If I understand correctly, it works more or less like html where you'd go to another page. That would make something like that quite feasible, but I'm not a developer. The other parts that are needed are a home menu entry with links to channels, guide, recordings. The shelf should auto populate the last watched channels.

I'd love to help, but would need someone to guide me, given my noob status. Alternatively, how difficult would it be to outsource this? I mean, pay some developers in a low wage country to work on this. Is it easy to get up to speed for someone familiar with xml?

By the way dynaflash, are you running on the ATV1 OS? I mean, something like OSMC (https://osmc.tv/) has newer versions, not? Might be something to look into.
(2017-10-20, 09:12)mediumdry Wrote: Since quartz is nicely minimal, how hard would it be to take the PVR part from another skin and simplifying it? If I understand correctly, it works more or less like html where you'd go to another page. That would make something like that quite feasible, but I'm not a developer. The other parts that are needed are a home menu entry with links to channels, guide, recordings. The shelf should auto populate the last watched channels.

I'd love to help, but would need someone to guide me, given my noob status. Alternatively, how difficult would it be to outsource this? I mean, pay some developers in a low wage country to work on this. Is it easy to get up to speed for someone familiar with xml?

By the way dynaflash, are you running on the ATV1 OS? I mean, something like OSMC (https://osmc.tv/) has newer versions, not? Might be something to look into.

I am running Soli's custom build specifically for the ATV1 with CHD. Best I have ever tried (and tried them all, including my own ground up build). OSMC afaik never did support the CHD for Krypton though they thought it did, I tried it and it was just decoding on the meager cpu, not using the chd at all. From what I understand from Sam and Soli, Krypton's player changed to much to use the chd driver that exists. So Jarvis is pretty much it, plus Jarvis vs Krypton uses less resources on the same machine from my empirical testing on an old lappy.

Anyway, got the home screen sorted (sort of) though the animation code to move left to right is pretty foreign to me and isn't commented anywhere at all. So it's kind of fly by the seat of your pants as it were if your new to the code. Spending a lot of time trying to suss and comment the code so it can be referred back to easier.

To test I have the tv channels and guide slapped in there from confluence for now, which of course looks like a train wreck as most of the supporting code isn't there and it's 720p for jarvis but it shows up and it works. Those intermediate screens will be the slowest. Full screen broadcast video is easy as I've already been through and modified the full screen video osd for additional movie and TV Show features so did as well for Live TV while I was in there a while ago, so that works really smooth. Basically it's hammering out the home window behavior and those guide and epg screens.

As far as using other skins code, one of the reasons Quartz is so light is because it uses very few skin addons and widgets. Most of it is hard coded which is more work but very light and fast using few resources. Also makes it harder to just slap in another skins code if it relies on external skin addons.

Its like a web page in that it uses the xml language, however it's getting used to the kodi api etc which I gather changed a lot for pvr in Jarvis and apparently yet again for Krypton (hence the same skin not working in both versions of kodi).

Still if I can get it working for Jarvis first (which is my main concern) I or someone could see about porting it to >= krypton if it seems worth it. Had I not setup tvheadend on an old linux lappy for the giggles of it I wouldn't even have bothered with it. But it's pretty cool actually.

Once these Atv 1's I have die probably be a useful skin for a raspberry Pi or some other low spec cheap setup I'd replace them with.

I am moving ahead and hacking on this as I haven't seen much activity either here or on git, so I figure instead of waiting around might as well play with it and see what happens.
Hi guys! Happy new year! As you've probably seen.. there's not much activity atm. I had a troubled year behind me.. Smile I've been through all the "old" code and I came to the conclusion that the skin is VERY hard to maintain. For those activily developing on this skin: 'What's your perception?'

My personal opinion about the skin so far..

LIKE:
  • Lightweight (good for a RPi)
  • Easy to understand
  • Customizable (although limited)
  • Minimal design
DISLIKE:
  • No touch or mouse support (in a proper way)
  • A lot of functionality/skinning has to be revised and updated
  • Removed functionality (there's no Live TV anymore or menu for game controllers)
  • Numerous smaller (and bigger) bugs that need to be solved
Seen the fact that there's so much "dead" code and the skin not being well maintained for a couple of kodi versions I've decided to kick-off from a blank canvas (using the default 17.6 skin). In the upcoming weeks I hope to make some nice progress in the way you can navigate. I would like to state that my goal is to offer a similar experience with the new skin but in a more streamlined way!

You can find my repo here: https://github.com/TPX01/skin.quartzmeetsestuary

Let me know what you think..
(2018-01-01, 18:19)TPX001 Wrote: Hi guys! Happy new year! As you've probably seen.. there's not much activity atm. I had a troubled year behind me.. Smile I've been through all the "old" code and I came to the conclusion that the skin is VERY hard to maintain. For those activily developing on this skin: 'What's your perception?'

My personal opinion about the skin so far..

LIKE:
  • Lightweight (good for a RPi)
  • Easy to understand
  • Customizable (although limited)
  • Minimal design
DISLIKE:
  • No touch or mouse support (in a proper way)
  • A lot of functionality/skinning has to be revised and updated
  • Removed functionality (there's no Live TV anymore or menu for game controllers)
  • Numerous smaller (and bigger) bugs that need to be solved
Seen the fact that there's so much "dead" code and the skin not being well maintained for a couple of kodi versions I've decided to kick-off from a blank canvas (using the default 17.6 skin). In the upcoming weeks I hope to make some nice progress in the way you can navigate. I would like to state that my goal is to offer a similar experience with the new skin but in a more streamlined way!

You can find my repo here: https://github.com/TPX01/skin.quartzmeetsestuary

Let me know what you think..   
 Hey TPX001, glad to see you're still up and at it. Welp as you have probably gleaned from the Jarvis thread I have pretty much gotten PVR up and running in quartz, have implemented now playing and am currently consolidating video and audio (music) so they are one and the same. I as you was very confused by the existing code and all of the dead ends due to various maintainers taking a stab at it over several revisons as you pointed out. Still a lot of code form Quartz 4 going back as far as Frodo that I can see.

In my case, I took a different tact as I looked to pecinkos newer skin Amber (for functionality not style and design) and what do you know, many things looked familiar including function names etc (heck even down to the icons used in the osd's). So I have "borrowed" some code etc from amber especially for pvr which as you know is completely nonexistent in current Quartz 5.

Today I am hoping to slay the dragon that is the main home menu and adding another (live tv) entry to the main menu bar. That main menu bar is a bit of a black box to me (and somewhere that Amber is much simpler than Quartz) but should be doable (I don't know how much you know about that).

Anyway, I agree with all of you're assessments of current Quartz. Since I am as far as I am on the Jarvis version of Quartz (again due to the 4 + atv's I have running Soli's atv build "Kinos"), I hope to get that a bit more complete for jarvis and then see if I can get it to run on >= Krypton (in this process I am also trying to be congnizant of ridding any <= Jarvis code so it's krypton compatible). If so I'll put it on a git fork if thats ok as I don't want to mess up you're existing Quartz repo.

Would it be correct to say that any new development you're going to be doing will be on the new quartzmeetsestuary repo and that more or less the current Quartz repo is frozen? I'll check out your new version on a Krypton box I do have running here which should be cool.
Dynaflash, I have a fully functional Quartz 5 for Jarvis.  It's not in a repo but we can work something out if you're interested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Quartz 5 (Krypton support)0