Is there anyway to stop MusicBrainz from being a complete Fail?
in comparison to many I only have a small library of MP3 files
I have had most of them for a while and they have gone through a couple different apps

Right now none of the files have meta embeded in them
but they are stored in the Artist/Band folder and are descriptive

/boston/Boston - Rock and Roll band.mp3

and MusicBrainz comes back with

Artist: Boston
Album: We Found It in the Trashcan, Honest!
Date: 2002

AllMusic.com says of this:

Most of the Boston bootlegs that surfaced in the late '70s contained live recordings, but We Found It in the Trash Can, Honest! is an exception. Released in 1977, this rare bootleg LP offers demos that Boston recorded in Tom Scholz's home studio in 1975

I mean that is pretty much a failure to me and there doesn't seem to be a way within MusicBrainz to select the right album and when I visit their website and search to find the Meta Data it just brings back so much garbage its impossible to pick through... dozens and dozens of unrelated listings

This is their first album and one of their most popular songs.

is there anything even worth trying or should I just delete the Music Menu and figure out another way to listen to music off my Android TV Box.

Not trying to be really sarcastic but with just a couple hundred songs I can imagine this taking me weeks to do and every spare minute of my time.

Should I just give up and go with a File View?

Thank You I appreciate it.
File names mean ABSOLUTELY nothing when it comes to Kodi. The files themselves need to be tagged.

Off the top of my head, you could use something like MP3Tag to take the filename and create at least some rudimentary tags in your files.
At least you need some rudimentary tagging within the files for Picard to find something. So I would go like helta says:
Use a tagging tool to create rudimentary tags (artist, album, title) from the filename. That one is done within a flick of the eyes as long as the filenames (foldernames are usable, too) are in a distinct way
After that first tagging use Picard and see what it finds. There's the possibility to choose a specific album if MB has more than one.
If Picard doesn't come up with good results, it's very easy to add missing albums to MB, so anyone has a profit.

I found many missing albums on discogs. There's a Greasemonkey script for discogs (possible for other sites, too) that allows adding albums to MB with a single click.
@ZippyTheChicken So your issue is, that you downloaded a Boston song, that was ripped from a bootleg, and this is what MusicBrianz Picard is picking up on. So if you ripped your own CD of Boston, you wouldn't have this issue with MusicBrianz Picard.

However, there is a way to force MusicBrainz Picard to pick a different album.
1. Move the song back to the middle pane in Picard. Delete the Album it found on the right pane.
2. Then in the Info listed about the Song in the bottom section, put in the album you think it should be, leave the artist name as Boston, and delete every other item listed below. So it is completely blank, except the Artist being Boston, and the name of the Album that song is from.
3. Finally do a Lookup, or Scan (I forget which one), and it should bring up different CD's for the Artist. You may have to do this several times to get the right Album (as it might find best of CD's etc.).
(2017-03-21, 20:28)Powerhouse Wrote: @ZippyTheChicken So your issue is, that you downloaded a Boston song, that was ripped from a bootleg, and this is what MusicBrianz Picard is picking up on.

No I did not download this song from a bootleg CD
This was ripped from a CD that I had back in probably 2001

The problem is that there are no meta tags in the file

Some other songs I have come back with much worse results..
they point to artists and songs completely unrelated to the original

thank you helta and Uatschitchun I was able to view the file in windows explorer and at the bottom of the window it displays some of the Meta Options for the file.. I inserted Boston for the Album Meta and 1976 for the year and then musicbrainz did return the correct album for this file.

I am not sure how I can do this quicker / automated but at least I can edit the file properties and add album this way.

I will work on this a bit more before giving up heh
Like the others have explained some basic tags are essential, but you do not have to use musicbrainz tags, or only music in the mb database.
(2017-03-21, 22:01)ZippyTheChicken Wrote: I am not sure how I can do this quicker / automated but at least I can edit the file properties and add album this way.

I will work on this a bit more before giving up heh
Have a look at Mp3Tag, free tagging software that will convert filenames of a given format into tags, that may help you.

About half my music has been through Picard and got musicbrainz IDs, and that does make the scraping of additional album and artist info and art more accurate and efficient. But if all you want is to play the music, then you do not need to worry about that. Just get some basic tagging done, the stuff in the folder and file names into metadata.
(2017-03-21, 22:01)ZippyTheChicken Wrote: No I did not download this song from a bootleg CD
This was ripped from a CD that I had back in probably 2001

The problem is that there are no meta tags in the file

Some other songs I have come back with much worse results..
they point to artists and songs completely unrelated to the original

Think of it this way: imagine a song like "More Than a Feeling". How many releases do you think that has been featured on? Well I'll show you: https://musicbrainz.org/recording/8ac7f9...6adb8aada1

Given that, how would the software know which album to tag (remember "album" means "release")?

If you have all the tracks from the album, that makes it easier, because the software can just take the intersection of all releases suggested.

I suppose you could argue for better heuristics to go from the artist name, to official releases, to the original release, but that's more code...
This is pretty much why I looked into a hashing feature. Hash a couple of files and you have a perfect way of finding a specific album.

One day all this tagging work will go out the window, but its not quite there yet Smile
You probably want to hash the audio, not the file as a whole?

You could also use existing fingerprint libs, like Acoustid.
(2017-03-24, 15:21)Dan Gravell Wrote: You probably want to hash the audio, not the file as a whole?

You could also use existing fingerprint libs, like Acoustid.

Yeh I looked into it a lot but Acoustid is terribly slow and resource intensive and they charge commercial companies so it was a non starter.

We went with 2 tiny file hashes at the start end end of the file that are independent of the tagging and embedded covers.

Initial results are promising but of course it needs clients to write the logic. Zoomplayer has introduced it I think due to a lot of their users missing good tags and feedback has been pretty nice Smile

I don't want to derail this thread, so for more info see here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306073

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there anyway to stop MusicBrainz from being a complete Fail?0