Registration Process & Banned Add-Ons
Firstly, let me say that my favourite forum is.... Garbage Bin. There are some real gems in there.

Having said that, I must admit I do feel some level of compassion/empathy for a lot of the first time posters that end up in Garbage Bin. Some just don't have a clue and others... well English may not be their primary language.

With all the publicity out there in the general media and internet, it does become difficult for the average consumer to distinguish between the KODI as represented by the XBMC Foundation, and the Kodi as advertised by profit motivated individuals/organisation.

It has been over three years since I registered, so I cannot remember what warnings are shown during the registration process. So I logged out and commenced a new registration. The only warning I saw prior to hitting Register was the below. (I don't know what comes after as I never completed the process)

Current Agreement Wrote:Kodi Community Forum - Registration Agreement

Whilst we attempt to edit or remove any messages containing inappropriate, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, slanderous, or threatening material that could be considered invasive of a persons privacy, or which otherwise violate any kind of law, it is impossible for us to review every message posted on this discussion system. For this reason you acknowledge that all messages posted on this discussion system express the views and opinions of the original message author and not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Therefore we take no responsibility and cannot be held liable for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy and completeness of every message.

By registering on this discussion system you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, sexually orientated, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy, or any other material which may violate any applicable laws.

Failure to comply with these rules may result in the termination of your account, account suspension, or permanent ban of access to these forums. Your IP Address is recorded with each post you make on this discussion system and is retrievable by the forum staff if need-be. You agree that we have the ability and right to remove, edit, or lock any account or message at any time should it be seen fit. You also agree that any information you enter on this discussion system is stored in a database, and that "cookies" are stored on your computer to save your login information. Any information you provide on these forums will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised.

Read the Forum Rules, especially the part concerning piracy. The most common reason for posts from newly signed up users to be removed is a request for support involving add-on's and/or add-on repositories on which discussion is banned. A list of banned add-ons is included in the Forum rules. This is not a comprehensive list, so even though a add-on may not be listed it may still be in violation of our Piracy Policy. Do not ask how to obtain copyrighted video on our forums.

By continuing with the sign up process you agree to have read both the Forum Rules and the rules specified above.

So I had a go at reading it. It is dry, bland and just like a big wall of words. For a lot of people, I can see the difficulty in reaching the end of the warning... and comprehending it. Especially those people with English as a second language. Even the Forum Rules link is not visible at first glance, and blends into the "wall of words".

I believe the Registration Agreement should be amended. And there could be a two prong approach to further educate. There are no new requirements, so it would not affect existing users.

1. Amend the Registration Agreement
2. When a new user creates their first post and prior to submitting... a reminder page pops up that the user needs to accept. This reminder can be dedicated to Banned Add-ons.

The amended Registration Agreement could look something like this.

Proposed Registration Agreement...
Wrote:
Kodi Community Forum - Registration Agreement

By continuing with the sign up process you agree to have to the following

1. You are responsibe to ensure that your post is civil and respectful to other individuals and societies.
2. Your post does not violate any kind of law
3. You have read, understood and will abide by the Forum Rules (link)
4. You have read, understood and will abide by our stance on Piracy and Banned Add-ons (link)
5. Your post expresses your views and opinions and not necessarily the views of this bulletin board.

You also agree
6. we take no responsibility and cannot be held liable for any message posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy and completeness of every message
7. that we have the ability and right to remove, edit, or lock any account or message at any time should it be seen fit
8. that any information you enter on this discussion system is stored in a database, and that "cookies" are stored on your computer to save your login information
9. that your IP Address is recorded with each post you make on this discussion system and is retrievable by the forum staff if need-be
10.any information you provide on these forums will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent. We cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised

If you did not download Kodi from this site or the Windows Store or Google Play, most likely you are at the wrong forum to obtain help, and your post may be ignored or deleted.

Failure to comply with these rules may result in the termination of your account, account suspension, or permanent ban of access to these forums.
The second prong would be used on the first post by the user. When the user clicks Create Thread... it could be re-directed to a notice specifically on Pirated Content... such as this...

Quote:Notice
As this is your first post, we remind you of the Registration Agreement. In particular the following...

1. If your post includes mention of banned add-ons, or alludes to the use of such, then your post will be binned
2. If your post includes request for assistance to obtain pirated content, your post will be binned
3. If an add-on provides an easy means of accessing content that would need to be paid for, then you are in violation of the forum rules

Any thoughts?
Seems like a pretty good idea to me.
I agree, sometimes the posts in the Garbage forum are the most entertaining to read. And I also do feel bad for some of the first time posters who end up there though.

I think that maybe this paragraph should be the first one in the agreement:

Quote:Read the Forum Rules, especially the part concerning piracy. The most common reason for posts from newly signed up users to be removed is a request for support involving add-on's and/or add-on repositories on which discussion is banned. A list of banned add-ons is included in the Forum rules. This is not a comprehensive list, so even though a add-on may not be listed it may still be in violation of our Piracy Policy. Do not ask how to obtain copyrighted video on our forums.

Then again, I can see how, after years and years of people posting support requests for banned add-ons and stuff that violates copyright laws and damages the Kodi name, members of Team Kodi would be sick and tired of some of posts that seem to constantly appear.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 20.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
Yes, I think everyone just blows by the "big wall of words". I like the numbers routine, that does grab the eyeballs on a quick skim. blossom2 personal touch at the beginning draws you into engagement.

I'm not sure about the two prong approach, but a two page registration might be more applicable, with the warning regarding banned-addons, repositories, and piracy on top, to discourage 1st time posters that have come for only this purpose; then the proper registration page with a link to the big wall of words with protections in tiny light grey font Smile
I'd suggest that it be prefaced with a very basic, plain language explanation. People might not realise that the Kodi they have been given with a piece of hardware has add-ons (they might not even understand what an add-on is), nor that the add-on they have been given is unlawfully providing to them content in breach of copyright (etc).

I'd throw in the bit about Kodi being a player and that it contains no content whatsoever. Add-ons to the program might access content, but if it isn't content freely accessible without payment then it is banned.

Just a bit of explanation in very plain language as to what is meant by add-on, accessing content, blah. Many of the posts I read seem (by their wording) to come from people who are completely ignorant, not from knowledgeable people seeking to circumvent the rights of copyright holders.
(2017-03-31, 03:44)MetalChris Wrote: I agree, sometimes the posts in the Garbage forum are the most entertaining to read.

Ahahhaa, good to know I'm not the only one with fetish to read the binned posts Smile

Yes, this is a good idea, I would simplify it even more, for those non-english speaking people... and also - it is a well known fact people hate to read, i.e. most people nowdays read only headlines etc.

imho sentences like "1. If your post includes mention of banned add-ons, or alludes to the use of such, then your post will be binned
2. If your post includes request for assistance to obtain pirated content, your post will be binned" are way to complex and long for majority of the people even to bother reading!!!!

More along the lines of:

1) We do not support 3rd party PIRACY ADD ONS
2) We do not support 3rd party "KODI BOXES"

etc.

As simple as possible. Then someone might actually read it.
(2017-03-31, 08:31)DaLanik Wrote: As simple as possible. Then someone might actually read it.
yes, AND understand what they are reading.
@DaLanik

The issue, is that it's not so simple.

1) Most don't think their add-on is piracy, how could it be pirate if it's easy to download and install.

2) That would throw out some of our sponsors.
We should have a test that they have to pass. actually type an answer in
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
That would exclude 99% of those who first time post on the android forum Wink
(2017-03-31, 08:31)DaLanik Wrote: Ahahhaa, good to know I'm not the only one with fetish to read the binned posts Smile

i'm another of the team!
Hmm, does this mean we need to start thinking up some more variations on the binning posts prior to the automated one? Never knew we had quite such an audience... Wink

Some of the ideas in this thread are good though.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Can't wait for the "begins with exo and ends with dus" song and dance
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-03-31, 16:45)bry Wrote: Can't wait for the "begins with exo and ends with dus" song and dance
bry,

There you go, you just came up with a solution. Before a new user can sign up they have to watch a video featuring Ronie singing the Kodi song...

"If you brought your FULLY loaded box from an internet parasite, da, da, da.
Go back to the parasite for support, da, da, da..."

Make sure Ronie gives them the evil eye while singing the song.

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2017-03-31, 16:10)PatK Wrote: @DaLanik

The issue, is that it's not so simple.

1) Most don't think their add-on is piracy, how could it be pirate if it's easy to download and install.

2) That would throw out some of our sponsors.

I don't know about sponsors, but 1st issue is easily solvable:

1) We do not support 3rd party PIRACY ADD ONS
(exodus, phoenix, sport devil, 1channel, etc)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Registration Process & Banned Add-Ons1