Just saw this article about Kodi/DRM
https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-wants-to-b...rm-170409/

I have been using xbmc and kodi for a relatively long time. Much longer than this account has been active.
I paid/contributed a small amount for the program.
I don't think I have ever loaded an add on.
I don't think I have ever even changed the default skin.
I used and liked xbmc/kodi because it, along with a few other tools, let me utilize and consume the media I _PURCHASED_ in a reasonable way, time and manner I chose.

I didn't say anything when the frothing started about the sale of the preloaded units on ebay and Amazon, because even though you have to be blindingly stupid not to understand what you are buying when you purchase those, I get it it. Sometimes people are just stupid. I just stayed out of that conversation. It made me very uncomfortable to see the attitude creep in that "You can only use this in ways we like." It made me uncomfortable enough I just used the latest stable version and didn't interact here anymore.

Now you want to add and legitimize Digital Restrictions?

I'm nobody - just one of the silent group of users who contributed - probably not enough, but still, some, and I did because freedom is still something I believe is good.
I really doubt one voice, one post will make any difference, but please don't legitimize the effort to extend DRM. There is no good to be had there.

I have a four letter word I'd like to say here and it doesn't start with K, it ends with k.
DRM integration will not prevent you to use kodi exactly as you use it right now

It will just allow you to play DRM protected content (netflix, amazon prime, ...) directly in kodi
It will also need that that these content provider allow it

So, as I see it, really no need to worry or to use "the words that ends with k"
Moanbag is in da place!
Please see the (somewhat heated) replies/answers already given regarding this questions in this other thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2566956

@Dalej, what you and other who did not read and understand the point of this implementation is that adding DRM support to Kodi does not restrict any existing functions or features in Kodi.

Kodi will still be able to play all your existing files and streams exactly the same way as it does today, no matter if they are from a legal source or not.

That is, adding DRM support only gives users the option of also playing DRM protected streams as well if you choose, and that is not mandatory or restricting in any way at all. Adding DRM support gives legal content providers such as example Netflix the option of writing addons for Kodi and have the streams for their specific addon be protected by a DRM chain.

Adding DRM support to Kodi does not give the XBMC Foundation / Team-Kodi or content providers the ability to prevent or stop you from playing your existing local files or stream from the internet using addons from other developers.

The "R" in DRM (Digital Rights Management really do stand for "Rights", and not "Restrictions" as you might think. Having DRM support will give us the right to legally play DRM protected stream in Kodi if we want. Not having DRM support in Kodi restrict us from legally playing DRM protected stream in Kodi, even if we wanted to.

As Nathan Betzen wrote in the comments of the article on TorrentFreak:

NathanBetzen Wrote:I get the sense that a lot of people think this DRM discussion is about somehow locking down the non-drmed stuff, like people's libraries or addons that don't make use of drm. We have no interest in doing that, and even if we did, we couldn't. It's one of the many great reasons that Kodi is licensed under the GPL. Doing something like that is impossible.

Anyway, point being, the term "DRM" is a blanket that can mean "plays Netflix" and can also mean "locks down the entire application and installs malware." I'm having a hard time figuring out if the outrage is about the first of those, or a misunderstanding about the second of them.

And as I wrote in that other thread:
(2017-04-11, 11:17)RockerC Wrote: Netflix streaming playback without breaking DRM is a great example of what having support for OS underlying DRM could add to Kodi, as reported here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...ix-Support
https://liliputing.com/2017/03/plugin-br...g-drm.html

You would still be able to play all your existing offline/streaming conteant and still possibly get legal access to premium subscription services. That is, we who pay for Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, etc. will get the possibilty of legally accessing streams from those services inside Kodi. All the while Kodi will act no different att all for users accessing content in whatever other ways they do today.

It's like adding a towbar to your car; you will not really notice it unless you hook up a carriage that you want to pull, and you as a user of the car don't have to use the towbar unless you actually want to pull a carriage, that is optional. Only downsides to adding a towbar to a car is that it will maybe make your car look less 'sporty' to some who currently don't care at all about the cars capability of pulling a carriage as they right now think/know that they will never ever buy a carriage.
Now don't be an asshat by complain that the next-generation of your favorite (free) car model is getting a towbar mounted by default. YOU don't have to hook up a carriage and YOU can still put whatever YOU like in its trunk and invite whever shady friends you want for a ride. Having the towbar mounted there will not restrict YOU in any way at all! The towbar will only be there to allow those like myself who want to buy or rent a carriage to hook it up to the same car model.
(2017-04-12, 12:56)Dalej Wrote: I paid/contributed a small amount for the program.

First off, you didn't pay for anything. If you did then you did not get Kodi from here and were ripped off.

As well, you may have contributed, but you did that of your own free will. Your contribution was not "for Kodi", with or without your contribution Kodi would have still been completely free.

(2017-04-12, 12:56)Dalej Wrote: I didn't say anything when the frothing started about the sale of the preloaded units on ebay and Amazon, because even though you have to be blindingly stupid not to understand what you are buying when you purchase those, I get it it. Sometimes people are just stupid. I just stayed out of that conversation. It made me very uncomfortable to see the attitude creep in that "You can only use this in ways we like." It made me uncomfortable enough I just used the latest stable version and didn't interact here anymore.

Then you have not understood anything. No one has ever said "You can only use this in ways we like.", as any individual can do what ever they want, WE DON"T CARE, nor do we try to stop individuals from doing what they want with Kodi.

However, we will not help or condone people who wish to stream pirated material. As well, we will not allow those that wish violate our trademark, drag our name in the mud and make money off of Kodi by selling these "fully loaded boxes", without some sort of action.

(2017-04-12, 12:56)Dalej Wrote: Now you want to add and legitimize Digital Restrictions?

I'm nobody - just one of the silent group of users who contributed - probably not enough, but still, some, and I did because freedom is still something I believe is good.
I really doubt one voice, one post will make any difference, but please don't legitimize the effort to extend DRM. There is no good to be had there.

I have a four letter word I'd like to say here and it doesn't start with K, it ends with k.

So what you're saying is that you're against having options? Adding the ability to stream DRM media does nothing to change what Kodi does, it ONLY adds another option as to how you can use Kodi.

And I don't know how you would think that the addition of DRM would "legitimize" it. Do you honestly think that if Kodi had that ability Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or any other service provider would wake up and see that and say "Hey! Look, Kodi added it so now we must really be legit with our DRM"? Do you think Kodi not adding it would make it magically go away?

So how does Kodi having the ability to handle DRM extend it, exactly? DRM is the "law of the land" as it were, and Kodi having the ability to stream that material gives users the ability to get their content without going down the pirated route.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I hope Dalej replies. I'm curious to know if the outrage is a misunderstanding or if it's genuine. I can see genuine outrage in this situation if you are a GPL zealot who thinks even working with the DRM in an OS is immoral, but I'm not yet convinced that we've run into someone who fits that description yet.
On a side note, I wonder if Michael Larrabel (or however you spell it) of Phoenix is pissed off that his article breaking this story way back on March 20th didn't get nearly the attention of these more recent posts.
Michael Larabel of Phoronix Smile
Not much better Wink
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
FWIW, I did spell the Phoronix part correctly. And then autocorrect "fixed" it for me. Smile
I like the idea. Who is the admin of this board? I have an idea I'd like to discuss.

Piracy Cop
(2017-04-13, 22:29)Piracy Cop Wrote: I like the idea. Who is the admin of this board? I have an idea I'd like to discuss.

Piracy Cop

After the last thread you started I doubt anyone is interested
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-04-12, 13:04)Gracus Wrote: It will also need that that these content provider allow it
I think there is a valid concern that that will change the project's independence. Once those who are making money from somebody have a "say", that "say" usually quickly gets to imposing their wants on others.

For DRM to work, doesn't the content provider have to have access to what is being used? What's to prevent the measures to prevent the content provider's content being played stopping free/licensed by others content being played? It wouldn't be the first time that a commercial entity has thrown its weight around inappropriately/overstepped the mark to "protect" itself.

I don't have any answers, but I can certainly understand that there are questions and reasons to be concerned. I don't think there's any reason to be rude to the OP. He/she made a contribution to the development of the program. Just because it was voluntary doesn't mean there was no contribution.

Why would accessing commercial content have to be integrated? Why couldn't it be done by add-ons? If you want to add your *whatever* account, you enable the addon and you're good to go. Frankly, if the program was all full of "google", I wouldn't use it any more, no matter how much I'm told that it makes it better. If I want all that Netflixy stuff, it's on my computer to get, I agree with the OP in that respect. I DON'T use Kodi to access content on the internet and I don't want to. You will alienate the "normal" users who have just been using Kodi as a player and not some portal to content (one might say, the ones who have been doing the right thing all along).
(2017-04-14, 01:48)bilgepump Wrote: I DON'T use Kodi to access content on the internet and I don't want to. You will alienate the "normal" users who have just been using Kodi as a player and not some portal to content (one might say, the ones who have been doing the right thing all along).

As already noted, for those people who use Kodi this way, there should be no obvious difference. Kodi won't be shipping any DRM binaries and default installed addons. It will just make it slightly easier to install addons that use DRM.
(2017-04-14, 02:10)natethomas Wrote:
(2017-04-14, 01:48)bilgepump Wrote: I DON'T use Kodi to access content on the internet and I don't want to. You will alienate the "normal" users who have just been using Kodi as a player and not some portal to content (one might say, the ones who have been doing the right thing all along).

As already noted, for those people who use Kodi this way, there should be no obvious difference. Kodi won't be shipping any DRM binaries and default installed addons. It will just make it slightly easier to install addons that use DRM.
Fair enough, thanks. Gracus used the term "integration" which I misunderstood. So, the basic answer to the OP's concern is that "digital restrictions" are not to be added to core Kodi, just potentially made available in add-ons to be installed or not as the user chooses.
(2017-04-14, 02:41)bilgepump Wrote:
(2017-04-14, 02:10)natethomas Wrote:

Fair enough, thanks. Gracus used the term "integration" which I misunderstood. So, the basic answer to the OP's concern is that "digital restrictions" are not to be added to core Kodi, just potentially made available in add-ons to be installed or not as the user chooses.

Pretty much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just saw this article about Kodi/DRM0