• 12(current)
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 1
(2019-04-12, 00:27)Kovatch Wrote: Recently got the old ATV working and it's even better now with Kinos.  The old Broadcom card (very original 1st model) is working well enough.  Hey, more chips must be better than less, right?  I just truly love the old stuff and thinking of that the build quality of the ATV1 is still quite a bit higher than the rest and looks exquisite next to the more modern plastic boxes.  The component outs along with the Toslink are nice as well.

Upon research (somewhat heavy, this was not incredibly easy to find) I somehow managed to stumble upon this and have been pleasantly surprised.  Previously it was running another version though I always longed for a streamlined version and this is it!

I must say it's a bit sad we likely won't see that 14 version to eek out that last bit of performance out of this thing though as it stands it's enough.  I'm very happy to be able to use this and thank you Soli!
Thanks! I have some time this easter so let's see if I can make a 14 version. Kodi (up to v16.1 because of CrystalHD support) does run even better with a newer kernel/OS Smile

I also intend to include Retroarch preconfigured (and emulationstation if you want) and ready to play (save bios/rom files of course). It works mostly fine with 8bit stuff, and 16bit stuff. Sega 32x is a bit sluggish (dunno about SegaCD), but Neo Geo, CPS1/2 (maybe 3? havent tried) works fine. PS1 is no go (really slow with software GFX), N64 is also too slow, and everything newer is of course no go too.
I've tried it with wired Dualshock 4 v1/2 (And I think it will work with the PS4 BT adapter for wireless DS4), wired Xbox 1 S controller.

As long as my ATV1 doesn't die anytime soon, I think you're in for a nice surprise!

What do you think would be the best way to configure options? These are the options I have in mind:
Switch between Kodi and Retroarch frontends, enable/disable Samba, configure wireless, TVHeadend, transmission, Minimserver, ATVclient (in case you use a PS3 BD Remote). 

Should I enable I a self-explanatory config file you can manually edit yourself, through a Samba share (of course if you disable Samba then this won't show up).
Or through a usb stick that is labeled ATVCONFIG (or similar) with a config file that automatically starts a scripts that reads that file and enables/disables services?
I scrapped it. I couldn’t get Final Burn Alpha to run properly (sound stutter). Seems to be a problem with ubuntu 14.04 (or maybe indirectly so, the ppa for retroarch is stuck at v.1.7.1/1.7.2 since later versions fail to build, whereas the last version is 1.7.5) I really want the ATV to function as an old-school emulator, so I went and installed Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.19 Smile.
Dunno how this will turn out regarding how Kodi will perform, but both the Nvidia and CrystalHD driver is compatible with kernel 4.19 with some patches, so my guess is that it will turn out just fine.

Support for Ubuntu 18.04 will supposedly extend to 2028, so I think this is a good idea.
Thanks for this.  I recently got ahold of a CrystalHD ATV1 and finally have a use for it.
It's definitely faster than OSMC.  PLEX was able to stream 1080p.  I had to scale back to 720p for OSMC.

Some remarks for people having problems
1. Keep trying different USB drives.  I used 5 different USB drives running the same process with ApplePi-Maker and the same image files and it finally installed.  (I was using both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives)
2. Don't update PLEX by ZIP.  It seems 0.13 is the only working edition for this.  I tried to update by ZIP to 0.16 and PLEX no longer runs even with uninstall and reinstall back to 0.13.  I had to reinstall Kinos again.
3. There's no WiFi support.  

Since my old TV is 720p I will have to revisit Kinos when usb WiFi is supported as I have no ethernet where I want to put the ATV.
I've got everything running great on 18.04. Just needs a little polishing and further optimizing. As a surprise to nobody, 18.04 uses more resources than 12.04/14.04,  but it's not too bad. I know this is non scientific etc, but after boot Kodi shows about 10/15MB less ram availabe compared to the 12.04 version. I'm using a SSD right now, and it feels great. Let's hope that's the case for the included HDDs as well. I've included drivers for all the TV tuners and USB wifi that's in the kernel. (except b/g wifi), as well as the proprietary WL driver for those that intend to use the internal Wifi card. I haven't got a lot of spare time atm, but I hope I can finish it in the not too distant future Smile
(2019-05-07, 12:31)Soli Wrote: I've got everything running great on 18.04. Just needs a little polishing and further optimizing. As a surprise to nobody, 18.04 uses more resources than 12.04/14.04,  but it's not too bad. I know this is non scientific etc, but after boot Kodi shows about 10/15MB less ram availabe compared to the 12.04 version. I'm using a SSD right now, and it feels great. Let's hope that's the case for the included HDDs as well. I've included drivers for all the TV tuners and USB wifi that's in the kernel. (except b/g wifi), as well as the proprietary WL driver for those that intend to use the internal Wifi card. I haven't got a lot of spare time atm, but I hope I can finish it in the not too distant future Smile
OHHHH! YEEES!
(2019-05-07, 12:31)Soli Wrote: I've got everything running great on 18.04. Just needs a little polishing and further optimizing. As a surprise to nobody, 18.04 uses more resources than 12.04/14.04,  but it's not too bad. I know this is non scientific etc, but after boot Kodi shows about 10/15MB less ram availabe compared to the 12.04 version. I'm using a SSD right now, and it feels great. Let's hope that's the case for the included HDDs as well. I've included drivers for all the TV tuners and USB wifi that's in the kernel. (except b/g wifi), as well as the proprietary WL driver for those that intend to use the internal Wifi card. I haven't got a lot of spare time atm, but I hope I can finish it in the not too distant future Smile

keep waiting...  Nerd
(2019-05-06, 00:33)story1234 Wrote: 3. There's no WiFi support.  

Since my old TV is 720p I will have to revisit Kinos when usb WiFi is supported as I have no ethernet where I want to put the ATV.

You don't have to sacrifice the USB port. You can get an ethernet to WiFi adapter in "AP client" mode. You can buy off the shelf product, or some routers (especially with third party firmware like dd-wrt etc) can work in AP client mode. Then you can have WiFi and also the USB port for something else. This is also a universal solution as it's transparent from the ethernet side.

That's just an excellent news and thank you, Soli, again.

In the last while, I have been using LibreElec on an Atom 330 mini box with an Hauppauge 850 tuner running TVH server. It works well but I don't like the fan noise even though it isn't loud. I noticed that it might get non responsive after a month or so and needs rebooting. It also cannot do deinterlacing well on the local Nvidia Ion graphics, but works well streaming to better devices. So I can't wait to try this.
Are there any news? Wink
(2019-05-07, 12:31)Soli Wrote: AI've got everything running great on 18.04. Just needs a little polishing and further optimizing. As a surprise to nobody, 18.04 uses more resources than 12.04/14.04,  but it's not too bad. I know this is non scientific etc, but after boot Kodi shows about 10/15MB less ram availabe compared to the 12.04 version. I'm using a SSD right now, and it feels great. Let's hope that's the case for the included HDDs as well. I've included drivers for all the TV tuners and USB wifi that's in the kernel. (except b/g wifi), as well as the proprietary WL driver for those that intend to use the internal Wifi card. I haven't got a lot of spare time atm, but I hope I can finish it in the not too distant future Smile

Anything New? Soli
I'm on vacation next week.  Plan on giving this a try on my old crystalbuntu setup.
(2020-02-14, 03:50)robla64 Wrote: I'm on vacation next week.  Plan on giving this a try on my old crystalbuntu setup.

Hello everybody!

Any news?

Hi Soli

Any news on the Kinos update based on ubuntu 18.04?
I was struggling to get the crystalHD card to work with OSMC but now that I installed Kinos, everything works great and I have smooth 1080p playback.
Looking forward to this 18.04 updated version as it runs more updated code.

Great work!
(2019-04-14, 21:04)Soli Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 00:27)Kovatch Wrote: Recently got the old ATV working and it's even better now with Kinos.  The old Broadcom card (very original 1st model) is working well enough.  Hey, more chips must be better than less, right?  I just truly love the old stuff and thinking of that the build quality of the ATV1 is still quite a bit higher than the rest and looks exquisite next to the more modern plastic boxes.  The component outs along with the Toslink are nice as well.

Upon research (somewhat heavy, this was not incredibly easy to find) I somehow managed to stumble upon this and have been pleasantly surprised.  Previously it was running another version though I always longed for a streamlined version and this is it!

I must say it's a bit sad we likely won't see that 14 version to eek out that last bit of performance out of this thing though as it stands it's enough.  I'm very happy to be able to use this and thank you Soli!
Thanks! I have some time this easter so let's see if I can make a 14 version. Kodi (up to v16.1 because of CrystalHD support) does run even better with a newer kernel/OS Smile

I also intend to include Retroarch preconfigured (and emulationstation if you want) and ready to play (save bios/rom files of course). It works mostly fine with 8bit stuff, and 16bit stuff. Sega 32x is a bit sluggish (dunno about SegaCD), but Neo Geo, CPS1/2 (maybe 3? havent tried) works fine. PS1 is no go (really slow with software GFX), N64 is also too slow, and everything newer is of course no go too.
I've tried it with wired Dualshock 4 v1/2 (And I think it will work with the PS4 BT adapter for wireless DS4), wired Xbox 1 S controller.

As long as my ATV1 doesn't die anytime soon, I think you're in for a nice surprise!

What do you think would be the best way to configure options? These are the options I have in mind:
Switch between Kodi and Retroarch frontends, enable/disable Samba, configure wireless, TVHeadend, transmission, Minimserver, ATVclient (in case you use a PS3 BD Remote). 

Should I enable I a self-explanatory config file you can manually edit yourself, through a Samba share (of course if you disable Samba then this won't show up).
Or through a usb stick that is labeled ATVCONFIG (or similar) with a config file that automatically starts a scripts that reads that file and enables/disables services?
Hi, that version of kino never happend? I'm new in this and every program retroarch or emuelec i try don't work, the Tv turns black and back to Kino, someone have a version that works on kino?
Hello Soli, i have used all different distros for the atv and to be honest i had used ofcourse the old kodi time and lately as a netflix device.I can remember openelec from chiwwit, osmc and this summer i found about Kinos distro which i can admit is faster than osmc and a little faster than openelec. Unfortunately nowadays adelec netflix repository does not work anymore so our only chance is a new kodi 18 edition to use the new repository. A retroarch emulator would be a very nice aproach, imagine i am using a mac mini G4 as a qmc2 MAME platform. Soli is our only chance.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Kinos - Kodi Jarvis for Apple TV gen 15