Need help finding my new Kodi/Netflix hardware
Hi!

I've been a Kodi user for many years, and for the past couple of years I have been using a RPi 2 with OpenELEC/LibreELEC as my main playback hardware which has been working very well for me. However, I've recently begun using Netflix a lot, and for the moment my options to play Netflix in the living room are through a Chromecast or through my LG TV's four year old "Smart TV" interface. Neither of which is ideal - the Chromecast lacks 24p support which bugs me a lot and the "Smart TV" interface is slow and tricky to navigate, even though it does 24p.

So I'm in the market for a new device to satisfy all my needs for both Kodi and Netflix., and if it happens to support Google Cast so that it can completely replace my Chromecast as well that would be awesome.

Here is what I want:

- Ability to run both Kodi Krypton and Netflix without dual-booting
- Smooth 1080p 24p playback
- HD Audio and/or 5.1 LPCM playback
- A fast-ish interface, not slower than my RPi 2
- IR receiver that I can use with my Harmony remote

I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty setting it up, but when it's setup I want it to be stable and "just work".

Is there any device out there which satisfies my needs? I've been looking at a few Android boxes, like the Mi Box (no 24p though which is a shame) or the WeTek Hub or Play 2. The Nvidia Shield seems nice but also a little pricey to me since I won't be using it for gaming.
Solutions:

WeTek Play2 with the easy to flash Android TV ROM & your Harmony programmed as a WeTek Play2. Its in the database.
You do not even need to buy a TV Tuner with it - if not needed. 2GB RAM Play2 is better than 1GB Hub for Android use.

[ROM] [Play 2] [Marshmallow] Android TV v2.2

No proper Google casting on the unofficial Android TV ROM on Play2 because you need Google casting certificates:

Or a 2017 Shield that runs official Android TV so does some Google casting. You will also need to buy a FLIRC IR receiver.

Be aware you need a DD+ Audio Receiver with the Shield to get 5.1 DD+ Audio from Netflix.

Apart from that all your other needs are satisfied with either of them.

(2017-07-16, 21:11)wrxtasy Wrote: Solutions:

WeTek Play2 with the easy to flash Android TV ROM & your Harmony programmed as a WeTek Play2. Its in the database.
You do not even need to buy a TV Tuner with it - if not needed. 2GB RAM Play2 is better than 1GB Hub for Android use.

[ROM] [Play 2] [Marshmallow] Android TV v2.2

No proper Google casting on the unofficial Android TV ROM on Play2 because you need Google casting certificates:

Or a 2017 Shield that runs official Android TV so does some Google casting. You will also need to buy a FLIRC IR receiver.

Be aware you need a DD+ Audio Receiver with the Shield to get 5.1 DD+ Audio from Netflix.

Apart from that all your other needs are satisfied with either of them.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like the Play 2 could be for me. I don't need the TV tuner for now but it could be of use in the future.

I've never used Android TV before but I guess you can use most Android apps on there? If so, that would probably make a casting device redundant anyway.
If it helps you, I bought a Xiaomi Mi Box for my parents and the main driver was the netflix + kodi without dual booting, and the Android TV interface was the second priority.

In both cases, I can safely say that Android TV interface is awesome.

Their requirement was Netflix + Kodi and that's it. I chose Mi Box for the remote as well, but anyway just wanted to shout out Android TV interface. The apps are Android TV apps, not "Android apps". The main difference is that "Android apps" use touch interfaces, and Android TV apps use remote-control interfaces (10-foot interface)
Thanks, every bit of info helps! Smile

I had almost managed to convince myself to get a Shield anyway, when I found this in the Shield thread:

"If you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually."

Is this still the case? If so, that is a showstopper for the Shield for me since my setup is exactly like that, and refresh rate switching for smooth 24p playback for both Kodi and Netflix (and hopefully other apps as well) is at the top of my list.
Be aware there is NO Auto refresh switching for 24p Netflix or other DRM streaming Android Apps. Its only Kodi / Plex ... that has Auto refresh switching on Android TV platforms.

(2017-07-17, 09:30)Mooorgul Wrote: Thanks, every bit of info helps! Smile

I had almost managed to convince myself to get a Shield anyway, when I found this in the Shield thread:

"If you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually."

Is this still the case? If so, that is a showstopper for the Shield for me since my setup is exactly like that, and refresh rate switching for smooth 24p playback for both Kodi and Netflix (and hopefully other apps as well) is at the top of my list.
There are some user reports on nVIDIA forum that says this has been fixed in the latest update. I checked this recently and the refresh rate issue was still there for me. The second bug related to color space has been fixed.
Well I was bored and a local store with 30-day free return policy had the Shield for 10% off so I ended up buying one earlier today just to try it out.

Pros

Android TV is slick, I like it!
Very fast and responsive, easy to set up
Great remote

Cons

It absolutely won't output anything other than 60hz to my HDMI 1.4 TV through my HDMI 2.0 AVR. Not even if I try to set it manually. Thus, the playback is anything but smooth.
Tried it out for gaming via Nvidia GameStream and the input lag was unfortunately unbearable

So I'm pretty sure it's going back in a few days. Will play around with it some more though.

(2017-07-17, 10:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Be aware there is NO Auto refresh switching for 24p Netflix or other DRM streaming Android Apps. Its only Kodi / Plex ... that has Auto refresh switching on Android TV platforms.

This is disappointing. Are there no devices out there (Android or not) that can play Netflix at 24p without having to change the refresh rate manually? Come on, my LG TV from 2012 can do it!
(2017-07-17, 13:45)Mooorgul Wrote: This is disappointing. Are there no devices out there (Android or not) that can play Netflix at 24p without having to change the refresh rate manually? Come on, my LG TV from 2012 can do it!

I think LibreElec devices with the newly developed Netflix add-ons can do it - but they are sailing close to the DRM wind - so who knows how long they will last...

I use Windows 10 with Netflix Remote Controller (which includes manual short cuts for 24/50/60Hz output - press 2, 5 or 6 on the remote to switch rates.)

As for Smart TVs - my Sony appears stuck at 60Hz... 24p stuff definitely looks to have 3:2...
(2017-07-17, 17:10)noggin Wrote: I think LibreElec devices with the newly developed Netflix add-ons can do it - but they are sailing close to the DRM wind - so who knows how long they will last...
Yes, without HDCP they are sailing in rough sea Smile
(2017-07-17, 21:04)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-07-17, 17:10)noggin Wrote: I think LibreElec devices with the newly developed Netflix add-ons can do it - but they are sailing close to the DRM wind - so who knows how long they will last...
Yes, without HDCP they are sailing in rough sea Smile

Precisely.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help finding my new Kodi/Netflix hardware0