• 5(current)
Release Embuary Skin
Hi
At least a skin wich is very différent.

Alpha works great on shield tv. Perhaps add a dimmer option for the background. A little big too darky for me.

Awesome job Smile
Opened an issue on GitHub for this skin in case you did not yet see it.

Regarding:

script.service.caretaker installed without consent

Quote:Have a problem with:

`    <import addon="script.service.caretaker" version="0.0.5a"/>`

While I am not personally opposed to this particular script or it's purpose - the fact that your skin triggered it to be installed as a required supporting addon for the skin when this addon actually does nothing (0% - nada) for the skin or support of the skin's in any way.

Come on man - this is just bad form  😞 - maybe a dialog asking if the user would like to have it installed?

I just have a real bad dislike when things like this happen and **especially without notification / consent** etc no matter what they are for but specifically when they are not necessary or in support of what is already installed.

I found this to be troubling and it's upset me so I had to say something and I would respectfully like to ask you just maybe reconsider the way you install a non-skin related (supporting) addon like this especially and to not force install it without consent and then make it "required" on top of that so your can't uninstall or even disable it !!!

Thanks,

Mario

PS - BTW I personally think you are a very talented Kodi skin dev and have enjoyed your work and contributions - much appreciated!  

I was enjoying the evolution of this WIP skin but for now I had to remove it out of principle... It is not personal or even that I am opposed to that script or it's function - I just am sensitive to this type of behavior be it for good / neutral / bad reasons.

Thank you again for reconsidering this particular issue and also appreciate, admire, enjoy and respect all your previous work and contributions to the Kodi community.

---
pps - saw that you had following code in your skin in a previous commit (but no longer do).

just curious since the breadcrumbs are starting to hint at a possible reason for the script's addition now maybe? - I am pretty oblivious / ignorant of that arena and it's particular politics and current going ons and doings etc.   Huh

Code:
<onload condition="System.HasAddon(script.areswizard)">UnloadSkin()</onload>
One single word: self-protection.
I do not want to be associated with all the wizard builders and they already exist WITH pointing my name and my repo in descriptions.

Nothing is going to deleted, nothing is going to be tracked or similar. It just scans for installed blacklisted addons/repos and unloads my skin. If you have a clean system -> everything is fine.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
(2017-10-26, 11:37)sualfred Wrote: One single word: self-protection.
I do not want to be associated with all the wizard builders and they already exist WITH pointing my name and my repo in descriptions.

Nothing is going to deleted, nothing is going to be tracked or similar. It just scans for installed blacklisted addons/repos and unloads my skin. If you have a clean system -> everything is fine.

I understand that - I just was upset that your skin (update) triggered the installation of an addon without my consent or notification even and that this addon is not required for your skin. 

I see your skin has code that attempts to sort of give notification:

Code:
<onload condition="!System.HasAddon(script.service.[i]caretaker[/i])">InstallAddon(script.service.[i]caretaker[/i])</onload>

Take note and understand that I was not even using your skin (but it was installed) so when the skin was updated the new required addon directive added to your addon.xml caused the addon to be installed on my system without any consent or any notification.

I am against this type of installation method/action in principal no matter the reasons - but even more so when it provides no support or function for the addon itself and most especially when it is political or emotionally motivated.

I care nothing of the politics just the way it was installed on my system - just NOTIFY & ASK and maybe don't require it be installed for a skin when it functionally is not required.

that is all I was asking - thanks!
InstallAddon gives you a YES/NO popup. It's not silent.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
also forgot to add a comment:

when you say "If you have a clean system -> everything is fine." - that just feels way out of scope for a skin and is not in the realm of expected behavior for a skin to make especially to do so arbitrarily and by installing and running a script with out notification or consent by the user even if it does not delete anything etc.

By your standards my system is "clean" and not even that I care regardless I hope you can maybe see that if a user knowingly enables "unknown sources" in Kodi Settings that this is a risk they have decided to take.

The irony is that while not malicious, this action for your addon to take especially once in the official Kodi Repo would be a demonstration of the exact type of behavior that a malicious unknown source repo/addon/script would do to a user!
(2017-10-26, 12:13)sualfred Wrote: InstallAddon gives you a YES/NO popup. It's not silent.

Well only if your skin is enabled and the current active in use skin.

I had that script addon installed without me getting a yes / no popup etc.

I just happen to catch that it was installed and when I looked for the cause it was triggered to be installed by the newly added required addon directive of your skin's addon.xml.

don't believe me try it yourself.

run estuary as your active in use skin but also have an older version of your skin installed and that script not installed and once your skin is updated it will be installed with out asking etc.
As soon as it's in the skin requirements (and yeah it's required because I've implemented a skin based check), it will be installed silently. InstallAddon is required for a manual installation of the script.

You can discuss as much as you like, I will not remove it.
Anything that unloads on detection of any of these garbage wizards is a positive for me, it's certainly not something I would be getting upset about Smile I trust the Kodi developers to install whatever dependencies they want, I don't need a Yes/No Dialog for each and every one, and I'm sure most other people don't see this as necessary either. You have to ask yourself, do you trust the developers to act in your best interests or not?
Yep, and don't forget one of the biggest benefit of it:
You will be notified if you have garbage addons installed. It's a security plus. (remember the DDOS, crypto mining news recently)
you know what - I give up, don't think you see where I am coming from etc.

I took issue with the principal of any addon installed without notification/consent and while apparently not intended it did happen to me.

Couple that with a required addon not providing a functional use to the skin.

Personally I believe politics should not be a part of code especially something that is so subjective / arbitrary but I guess you can code how you want, etc - just know that in it's current form your skin update triggered the installation of an addon with out notification or consent on my system when I was using another skin.

I also think the unknown sources Kodi settings once enabled by the user means that they have assumed the risks and it is very doubtful a vigilante addons installed like this one will deter the group you seem to be targeting.

sorry just had to take issue with this in principal and have my say and now that I have I'm out.

take care.
one last comment...

while I am not defending or that I even care about the group of folks you are targeting, etc  (it was always how you installed the addon)

you do realize that for all the effort and work you put in that this cat and mouse act is a futile zero sum game.

create dummy script - give it version number 99999999999.99999.99999 and this was all for not. 

10 RINSE
20 REPEAT
30 DEFEAT
40 ESCALATE
50 GOTO 10

Remember "the only winning move is not to play." --WOPR   Big Grin

Regardless - have fun! Rolleyes
(2017-10-26, 11:37)sualfred Wrote: One single word: self-protection.

I approuve and I will integrate it in my MOD too.
I do not agree with the fact that some people promote my skin with banned/illegal addons on their blogs/websites, youtube video etc...
 Estuary MOD V2 
Installing a script / program like this "caretaker" script may be a legal issue in itself for you.

You have already committed a crime against me based on Oregon State Law.

US Federal and State Laws pertaining to what you are doing once you take matters in your own hands so to speak.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommuni...-laws.aspx

A person commits an offense if the person knowingly accesses a computer, computer network or computer system without the effective consent of the owner." The penalty grade ranges from misdemeanor to first degree felony (which is the same grade as murder), depending on whether the person obtains benefit, harms or defrauds someone, or alters, damages, or deletes files.

In the United States you can get tripped up with States Law and when you cross States lines (basically anything via the Internet) you enter Federal legal territory as well.

Even though I was not actively using your skin the updated/added requirement of this script to your addon installed without my consent or notification an program that accessed my system, data and invaded my privacy for the purpose of monitoring and reporting.  

Ethically wrong, Illegal and just well - just not your job and certainly not what a user would expect of an app like Kodi and well beyond the scope of a "skin" - especially one hosted from the "official" repo.

This all is essentially the very definition of computer trespass and the actions of malware and/or spyware.

Once you start to take vigilante actions like this you are heading down a very slippery slope.

This is a job best left to law enforcement and the legal system - they are the ones tasked with this role.

They can interpret and enforce the laws and ultimately decide the accountability and action if the laws are broken.

Some guidelines you may wish to consider:

https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/wiki/8-...stallation

Hey I get that you and others are all wrapped up in all this political and socially charged drama regarding piracy / banned addons etc - personally I don't care either way.  

This is not about any of that for me I don't care about 3rd party unofficial addons etc

It is the principal of it all, the way it was done without consent and notification.

It is out of scope for a SKIN or well even Kodi to make and take action on.

Most importantly it is not legal and once you become an "actor" you then have liability and accountability issues.

Bottom line - this is not a "solution" so unless you like wasting your time focused on all this shit and are looking to create problems for yourself you may want to reconsider your methods at the very least.

The script is quickly and very easily defeated with a dummy script using an addon with the same name hosted at another repo using a version number above yours.

Naturally escalation then would be maybe some active scripted counter-measures like an anti-caretaker scripts, network filters, host file entries, etc. etc. etc.

Hopefully you get the idea here.

It is a Zero Sum Game - just futile cat and mouse play.

Skinners should make skins and those skins should not attempt to be a net nanny, judge, police or a wild west vigilante.

Remember "the only winning move is not to play." --WOPR

The Admins may want to give some input on all this as well - scripts hosted and installed like this from an official Kodi Repo could open them up to legal issues and liability as well.

Anyway I am now so over all this.

I just hope better judgements prevails before this all gets out of hand and turns into a shit storm.

-M
His skin his rules. If you dont want the caretaker just dont use the skin.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Embuary Skin20