Music videos do not show in database?
Hello!

(I wrote this in Music Support section as I have understood that music videos belong to music and not to videos Smile )

I have recently switched from my HTPC to Nvidia Shield TV user, and so my MediaPortal got switched to Kodi as well. So far I have managed to get things working pretty well, except for one major thing:

I have quite big music video collection, and for some reason only about 2/3 of my videos are showing in Kodi. And I think it's because for some reason, Kodi wants to find album for every video, before it's accepted in database. Is it so?
When I go to Videos-->Files, there I can see every music video and they also play just fine in Kodi. BUT when I try to find them in Music Videos, next I have to choose between Genres/Title/Year/Artists/Albums/Directors/Studios/Tags. Okay, I choose Artists and from there I select the artist. But when I expect to see ALL music videos by that artist that I have, I only see part of them, for example I cannot see any live music videos that I have from that artist.

Is there some hidden setting somewhere that I have missed? And/or, is there some way to edit Kodi database on my PC (as I probably cannot do that on Shield) and add missing music videos manually? I can connect to Kodi web server with my PC, and from Web interface settings I noticed this "Album artists only" -selection, that was just what I needed (that also made those "hidden" videos show on web interface), but alas, that setting was for web interface only, and Kodi still couldn't find those videos :/

Help would be much appreciated!
Music videos do seem to get placed under music. The only difficulty is that while being the main music dev (active at the moment), I know nothing about music videos, nor how handling is implemented. So you will need to wait for one of the music video using expert users comes along to help you.
Music videos are scraped and stored in the video database into the 'musicvideo' data table, as long as the source content is set to the "Music Video" type.
Thank you! Maybe this thread could be moved in Video support then instead? I have selected "music video" type as content.
It is probably best left here, as the experts on Music Videos visit this sub-forum regularly. Moving it to Videos and it may get lost.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You are probably using the music video scraper that will indeed need a match to the song and artist to show up in the database.

The scraper needs a match for the exact artist - track on TheAudioDB metadata site. Then it will get all the nice artwork, info and tags.

The other option is just to use the files view.
(2017-11-13, 16:45)docwra Wrote: You are probably using the music video scraper that will indeed need a match to the song and artist to show up in the database.

The scraper needs a match for the exact artist - track on TheAudioDB metadata site. Then it will get all the nice artwork, info and tags.

I am using the default scraper - in fact, I am not sure where I can change that Smile That's why I would love to be able to edit my Kodi databases with my PC, if there is such program and if that works in local network as well... For example, my movie library is inaccurate as well, as for example movie "Godfather 3" is now "3 Godfathers" in my library, and that seem to be a movie from 1948 Smile Would like to correct these things! If there is better scraper to use, I would like to know it!

For Mediaportal, I used Mvcentral plugin and that had separate tool for scraping and correcting the database: for every entry that the scraper did not find match, I could either manually choose a match or just leave it blank - but in any case, all my videos showed up in Mediaportal. I wish this was possible in Kodi as well :/ For what it's worth, Mvcentral seems to use last.fm as primary source, and Discorgs as secondary source for matching.
(2017-11-13, 20:17)Gilean Wrote:
(2017-11-13, 16:45)docwra Wrote: You are probably using the music video scraper that will indeed need a match to the song and artist to show up in the database.

I am using the default scraper - in fact, I am not sure where I can change that Smile That's why I would love to be able to edit my Kodi databases with my PC, if there is such program and if that works in local network as well... For example, my movie library is inaccurate as well, as for example movie "Godfather 3" is now "3 Godfathers" in my library, and that seem to be a movie from 1948 Smile Would like to correct these things! If there is better scraper to use, I would like to know it!

For Mediaportal, I used Mvcentral plugin and that had separate tool for scraping and correcting the database: for every entry that the scraper did not find match, I could either manually choose a match or just leave it blank - but in any case, all my videos showed up in Mediaportal. I wish this was possible in Kodi as well :/ For what it's worth, Mvcentral seems to use last.fm as primary source, and Discorgs as secondary source for matching.  

You can edit the database anytime with sqlite browser, but I would always try to fix things in Kodi first.

You can use NFO files to override bad matches, in the case of movies just put a text file in the movie folder with the IMDB link in it. It should then always match the correct movie. TVShows, Music videos and Music can also use NFO files to override any scraper choices.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files
(2017-11-13, 21:45)docwra Wrote:
(2017-11-13, 20:17)Gilean Wrote:

You can edit the database anytime with sqlite browser, but I would always try to fix things in Kodi first.

You can use NFO files to override bad matches, in the case of movies just put a text file in the movie folder with the IMDB link in it. It should then always match the correct movie. TVShows, Music videos and Music can also use NFO files to override any scraper choices.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files 

Thank you for a link and tip! I managed to fix that Godfather 3 -movie by creating .nfo file with correct IMDB link so that was easy Smile However, fixing my hundreds of music videos that way is not something I look forward to Big Grin Although I noticed there might be some kind of automatic solution to that, using media managers, so I installed Ember Media Manager... and got overwhelmed by all these settings :o I think I need to study that for quite some time before I get my music videos sorted out! Anyway, using .nfo files seems a bit complicated compared to my previous experience to fix scraper results straight within database, but maybe I need to accept that handling my databases with Kodi is not nearly as easy as it was with Mediaportal :/
Handling music is really staright forward, music videos not so much. But if you search the forum there is enough discussion from other users that you should be able to figure it out.
By design, music video in Kodi is treated as a content type of video.  So library management is done per video.  What this means is that to be added to the library, the file first must be scanned (has a file format recognized as video media) and "scrapped".  Video scraping relies on file name (primary) with the option of local "nfo" file with matching filename (less extension).  In addition art can be scraped from remote sites, or local art found using the filename-poster and filename-fanart naming convention.  Also, you can get an auto-generated thumbnail that is obtained by a frame grab from the file after it has been added to the library (happens as a background task).

Using the library for music videos in "views" is a bit more involved.  The view "nodes" are defined both to view your MV library from within the video view nodes and the music view nodes.  Because skins define different look-and-feel for music and video views, you may find it preferable to navigate from music or video (I prefer video myself).

The music video view nodes include nodes for "artist" and " album", which is different than the "actor" nodes for other videos.  Of course, it is necessary that the artist and album data is first sourced from either the scraper or nfo.  A feature of Kodi allows artist "art" obtained from the music library to be displayed in music video view nodes (assumes you have a matching artist in your music library).  It's intended to also work for album cover art, but due to a Kodi bug you just get the default album icon instead of the cover.

In addition, Kodi has the notion of "playlists" and it is possible to define playlists that include both music and music video media.  These are called "mixed" playlists.  Like music, Kodi can create a "party mode" playlist of music videos, or play an existing filtered playlist in "party mode" that queues a set of 10 random music videos (with replacement as a file is played).

Some users have concert music videos which contain multiple songs.  These are often better treated as a content type of "movie" rather than "movie video".

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I wrote a script to download all the music videos from YouTube that matched the TADB api, then saved them in mp4 with the correct naming format.

End result was 10,000 music videos named perfectly Smile
@docwra

And I thought I had a lot of Music Videos with over 4k....but 10,000....Sheesh.

Care to share your script? (I believe you had a post in the past regarding this, just can't find it).

Also...
1. How does the script name the files (Artist-Title)?
2. Does it create NFO files for each Music Video? If so what does it contain (Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Track #, etc)?
3. What about Artwork for the Artist and Album the Music Video is from?
4. Since they are MP4 videos, are you adding meta-data to the built in tags (MusicBrainz, etc)?

And just to answer any questions, because I have created .NFO files for all my Music Videos (that contain Artist, Album, Year, Genre (multiple on some songs), Track #, etc) Kodi picks everything up in both my Music Videos section, and within my Music section (so I can play either the Song, or Select the Music Video of that Song). If I have an Artists music album, and have the artwork for it, I copy this to the Music Video folder of that artist, so they show up the same with either view (in Music, or in Music Videos).
Okay, thanks to this thread, I have now figured out that instead of database of music videos that contains all the info (the way I had it in Mediaportal), it's better to use .nfo files instead. And because I was not going to edit them all by hand (lol, I have ~3500 music videos), I finally found this excellent media manager called Media Companion, that has music video support as well. So, I just got all my videos scraped and now all of them have .nfo files. It's easy to fix individual mismatches now.

But the original problem still stands: How can I set up Kodi so that it does NOT require music video to be part of an album before it shows up in Music Video list? Naturally, some live videos that I have captured from TV for example, do not get matches and log file says "Unable to scrape body with refs" for those. Still, if I just could list all videos of selected Artist, no matter if there is info or not, that would be okay. But now I just have to choose an album after I have chosen an artist when using Kodi music videos UI, and that's the problem. I tried "Library node editor" but maybe I don't get how to use it, as I thought that could be a way to maybe add an option to list all videos of selected artist.
For Music Videos, did you read the Wiki...
http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_videos

or this handy Youtube Video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kYOhiMFiI

Might want to look here at how the NFO files should look for a Music Video...
http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Music_videos

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music videos do not show in database?0