• 2(current)
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
Would be nice to have lossless bitstreaming, but agree that Neural:X is terrific! I use it for everything (DD, DD+, TrueHD, DTS, HRA, MA). I only listen to actual ATMOS & X straight w/o any processing.
Does anyone have a quick setup guide for video/audio settings.  I am going to buy an Apple TV 4k and switch from my current Nvidia Shield setup.  I will be using MrMC kodi fork.  Thanks for all the info and help!
ATV 4K - Settings > 4K SDR, Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching on.

MrMC - Settings > Video > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop

Premium Certified HDMI cable

That's it for a QuickStart !

I find it very hard to watch 24p Netflix & other streaming Apps on any other device now the ATV 4K has system wide, auto Frame Rate matching for smooth video playback. Smile

The three problems I have with the 4k, although it's a really good product:

- There is no resolution switching. If the box is set to 4k everything will be upscaled to 4k. The scaler is very good but IMHO the scaler in the new Sony TVs is better.
- Deinterlacing is fine, but not very good. Live TV looks better on other devices. Especially news-crawlers make the 4k sweat
- "real" 24fps is played out as 23.976. Which results in a dropped frame every 40 seconds or so. That's not really problem, but it gets annoying while watching a show like "DARK" in Netflix. After you've noticed it, you can't help but wait for the next dropped frame (Luckily there is not too much 24fps content around)

BUT - if you are watching a lot on Netflix you'll love it.

And about MrMC: It works fine, but the skin is incredibly ugly IMHO and I miss some addons.
Vero 4k+ - Apple TV 4k - Odroid N2 | Yamaha RX-V483 | Sony 55XE9305 | Synology DS916+
(2017-12-18, 03:45)mozomo Wrote: The three problems I have with the 4k, although it's a really good product:
- Deinterlacing is fine, but not very good. Live TV looks better on other devices. Especially news-crawlers make the 4k sweat
Go into MrMC Video Settings, when TV is playing. And select Deinterlace Method > Deinterlace to get YADIF2X full motion deinterlacing.
It will be very nice then Wink
Then "Set as default for all Videos" down the bottom.

Quote:- "real" 24fps is played out as 23.976. Which results in a dropped frame every 40 seconds or so. That's not really problem, but it gets annoying while watching a show like "DARK" in Netflix. After you've noticed it, you can't help but wait for the next dropped frame (Luckily there is not too much 24fps content around)
Not seeing this at all - everything is silky smooth for me using all Apps.
Watched "Dark" last week on Netflix and did not see any skips at all. The best test is the Subtitles at the end when they are scrolling on the screen.
Sounds like a settings issue. (possibly even TV interpolation settings)

Quote:And about MrMC: It works fine, but the skin is incredibly ugly IMHO and I miss some addons.
I use Amber Skin with the Vertical Menu on the Left. I'm hoping for a Krypton type Skin backport - yes I do miss Krypton's Estuary Skin.

(2017-12-18, 04:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 03:45)mozomo Wrote: The three problems I have with the 4k, although it's a really good product:
Go into MrMC Video Settings, when TV is playing. And select Deinterlace Method > Deinterlace to get YADIF2X full motion deinterlacing.
It will be very nice then Wink
Then "Set as default for all Videos" down the bottom.   
I'll have to try again in MrMc. Maybe I just tried Yadifx2 only in TvhClient, where it makes the BBC-news crawler jump and I did not bother in MrMc
(2017-12-18, 04:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 03:45)mozomo Wrote: - "real" 24fps is played out as 23.976. Which results in a dropped frame every 40 seconds or so. That's not really problem, but it gets annoying while watching a show like "DARK" in Netflix. After you've noticed it, you can't help but wait for the next dropped frame (Luckily there is not too much 24fps content around)
Not seeing this at all - everything is silky smooth for me using all Apps.
Watched "Dark" last week on Netflix and did not see any skips at all. The best test is the Subtitles at the end when they are scrolling on the screen.
Sounds like a settings issue. (possibly even TV interpolation settings)  

Strange. I am sure that I saw it and I am not the only one. It reminded me of one of my old intel htpcs with it's 24fps bug.

But all in all the ATV4k is really impressive Smile ...and I'm everything but an Apple fanboy
Vero 4k+ - Apple TV 4k - Odroid N2 | Yamaha RX-V483 | Sony 55XE9305 | Synology DS916+
I am not so sure that HDR10 is correctly working with Mr.MC on the ATV4K. It seems to be sending "fake" HDR10 metadata. The Sony 4K Camp HDR video has totally wrong HDR10 metadata in the SEI, if you play that clip in Mr.MC the HDMI output HDR10 metadata is completely different. I tried Infuse 5 and it doesn't look like it even passes the HDR10 metadata. There are some folks complaining about it on Infuse forum. The one issue with ATV4K is that when you select 4K HDR as the display mode, a HDR10 metadata is always sent with max display luminance of 250 nits and min luminance of 0.10 nits (I forgot the exact number, have to re-check). This means that the display is always in HDR mode, but with SDR luminance.
Auto res switching is working on the latest Kodi on the latest NVidia Shield build. If you set Kodi to output at 1080p it'll automatically go to 4k HDR Rec2020 when you play a UHD. It'll switch back to 1080p when you stop. It doesn't work vice versa.

Fantastic news!
(2017-12-18, 08:36)mozomo Wrote: Strange. I am sure that I saw it and I am not the only one. It reminded me of one of my old intel htpcs with it's 24fps bug.
Ah, I see. Weird I did not see it. Might have a look at the scrolling credits again to see if I can pick up anything.

(2017-12-18, 09:33)wesk05 Wrote: The Sony 4K Camp HDR video has totally wrong HDR10 metadata in the SEI
Is that Sony Camp 4K HDR test clip even BT.2020 ?
Mediainfo of the supposed Sony Camp 4K HDR I have is reporting BT.709 8bit - the filename looks incorrect.

EDIT: just to check I downloaded Sony Camp again from:
http://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

And sure enough 8bit BT.709 again.

Fwiw, Sony Camp 4k HDR test video has always reported 10bit BT.2020 using Mediainfo and double checked during playback with madVR OSD reporting the same as well as at GPU settings.  That's 3 confirmations.  I think the filename is correct.  I d/l it over a year ago.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@wrxtasy does ATV4k kodi support Siri to text instead of keyboard typing? Kinda like the shield does with spmc?
Nope
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-12-18, 10:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 08:36)mozomo Wrote: Strange. I am sure that I saw it and I am not the only one. It reminded me of one of my old intel htpcs with it's 24fps bug.
Ah, I see. Weird I did not see it. Might have a look at the scrolling credits again to see if I can pick up anything.
(2017-12-18, 09:33)wesk05 Wrote: The Sony 4K Camp HDR video has totally wrong HDR10 metadata in the SEI
Is that Sony Camp 4K HDR test clip even BT.2020 ?
Mediainfo of the supposed Sony Camp 4K HDR I have is reporting BT.709 8bit - the filename looks incorrect.

EDIT: just to check I downloaded Sony Camp again from:
http://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

And sure enough 8bit BT.709 again.    
  ATV4K seems to have only fractional refresh rates (59.94/23.976) support. No 60 or 24Hz. 

There are SDR and HDR versions of the Sony Camp clip.  Lot of folks have mentioned about the banding that you can see in the sky scene. This makes me think whether the original was actually 8-bit and someone reencoded it to 10-bit HDR. There is also the issue with incomplete/incorrect HDR10 metadata. The original upload has been deleted from Demo UHD3D. Google search shows a couple of other sources, but will have to verify whether the download is actually the SDR or HDR version.

The other day when I was testing, it looked like all the HDR clips played in MrMC had the same HDR10 metadata in the HDMI output. This is not the case with Netflix or Amazon Prime. With Netflix Dolby Vision you can actually see the MaxFALL and MaxCLL change between scenes.
MediaInfo from the version I have...
Quote:General
Complete name                            : Y:\AV Test Clips\4K Demos\(HDR HEVC 10-bit BT.2020 59.940fps) Camp by Sony.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom)
File size                                : 1.12 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 7 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 75.8 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-02-03 08:01:30
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-02-03 08:01:30

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 75.6 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 123 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.152
Stream size                              : 1.12 GiB (100%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-02-03 07:59:49
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-02-03 08:01:32
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : R: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, G: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, B: x=1.000000 y=1.000000, White point: x=1.000000 y=1.000000
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.1000 cd/m2, max: 0.5000 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Source duration                          : 2 min 7 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 197 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 2.91 MiB (0%)
Source stream size                       : 2.91 MiB (0%)
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-02-03 07:59:49
Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-02-03 08:01:32
(2017-12-18, 18:23)jaymillerSR Wrote: @wrxtasy does ATV4k kodi support Siri to text instead of keyboard typing? Kinda like the shield does with spmc?
I have not sideloaded Kodi - but MrMC (Kodi Jarvis) uses the standard tvOS text input screen where Siri speech to text works quickly and without fuss Smile
Quite impressed with Siri - like "Install Netflix App" and away it goes to do it, also Voice searches Netflix which I use all the time.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5