• 7(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
(2018-03-22, 07:47)direx Wrote:
(2018-03-04, 23:56)piotrasd Wrote: its looks Gemini lake will get HDR support Smile 

Guy which made PoF of HDR for linux used Gemini lake Smile
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/w...36403.html
 Hardware wise you'll need a HDR capable display obviously, and
you'll need an Intel Geminilake GPU. Older Intel platforms don't
support the HDR infoframe, so the display wouldn't know what to do
with the data you're feeding it.
We have discussed about that link back in January. And I already pointed out there that for HDR support it is still is a long way to go for Linux users. Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. But at least we now know that Gemini Lake will be HDR-capable, as it is also confirmed on the Intel forums now (finally):

https://communities.intel.com/thread/123634

So what you'll need for proper HDR support with Gemini Lake is (sadly) Windows 10 1709 or newer and Kodi DSPlayer with MadVR. Official Kodi unfortunately won't get you native HDR support yet and as it was pointed out earlier 18.x isn't going to change that (but at least Leia should be able to convert HDR to SDR). 
Promising news, tho' it only concerns Intel NUCs for sure. But what about integrated Gemini CPU boards like the ASRock J4105 and others?
I'm pretty much resigned to using Windows on my main HTPC, plus I play the odd Steam game on it so it makes sense anyway. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for HDR support is a bit annoying but not a disaster. I'll probably end up just plonking in a GPU instead of upgrading the whole rig when I get my next TV though - it mainly depends on whether GPU prices ever return to normal and also whether AMD or nVidia make their next HTPC-oriented card actually have enough VRAM for 4K video playback for Netflix, etc.
(2018-03-22, 07:47)direx Wrote: We have discussed about that link back in January. And I already pointed out there that for HDR support it is still is a long way to go for Linux users. Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. 
I read a lot of threads related to "picking the best Kodi box" and went into subforums, and not being sure if taking e.g. an AMLogic S912, waiting for better Rockchip support or going again the Intel route, I am really suprised about this comment.
So in fact, is this really also valid for all current 4K HDR boxes when running Kodi under Linux, or do they use e.g. special binary drivers and proprietary player modules?
If it really is not supported, this discussion about HDR compatible hardware looks pointless to me, at least if you want to "avoid" Windows as OS.
(2018-03-22, 22:41)JK1974 Wrote:
(2018-03-22, 07:47)direx Wrote: We have discussed about that link back in January. And I already pointed out there that for HDR support it is still is a long way to go for Linux users. Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. 
I read a lot of threads related to "picking the best Kodi box" and went into subforums, and not being sure if taking e.g. an AMLogic S912, waiting for better Rockchip support or going again the Intel route, I am really suprised about this comment.
So in fact, is this really also valid for all current 4K HDR boxes when running Kodi under Linux, or do they use e.g. special binary drivers and proprietary player modules?
If it really is not supported, this discussion about HDR compatible hardware looks pointless to me, at least if you want to "avoid" Windows as OS. 
Amlogic S905X boxes have properly working HDR with LE+KODI since a long time ago.Why would be pointless? Many Android based media Boxes also have this feature already working.
LibreElec is based on Linux, so it does not fit to the sentence:
Quote:Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. 
So talking about HDR support: Is this only valid for the Android part (although Android is also based on Linux) or also for boxes booting up Linux with Kodi (like LibreElec)?
So if it works on the ARM-based boxes, why in detail wouldn´t it work on Intel-based boxes?
Or are you talking specifically about the Intel Linux video drivers and not the whole Linux infrastructure?
(2018-03-23, 21:11)JK1974 Wrote: LibreElec is based on Linux, so it does not fit to the sentence:
Quote:Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. 
So talking about HDR support: Is this only valid for the Android part (although Android is also based on Linux) or also for boxes booting up Linux with Kodi (like LibreElec)?
So if it works on the ARM-based boxes, why in detail wouldn´t it work on Intel-based boxes?
Or are you talking specifically about the Intel Linux video drivers and not the whole Linux infrastructure? 
 As far as I know the HDR->SDR conversion is working now on Intel+LibreElec. So there's something happening.
I read about this, but if you have a HDR-ready 4K display, conversion from HDR to SDR is a less interesting option than playing it back in HDR.
It seems to me that HDR to SDR is just important as an in-between-step or as a solution for backups to "standard" BDs. Additionally, there would not be the need for the HDR feature of 4K players.
The point of the HDR->SDR conversion is mainly to have more proper colors and PQ in the case if HDR content is displayed on a an SDR TV/Projector. 

Other hand, in the case of video players that doesn't support yet HDR output, it's also useful to have at least -somewhat- proper SDR PQ on a HDR display. So if the video is 4K/HDR you can keep the 4K, loose the benefits of HDR, but have better and more appropriate SDR picture. 

Tho' it's up to ones jury to find whether the FHD and "original" SDR or the 4K and converted SDR PQ more likable (4K res vs. unconverted SDR).  Guess that's where the capabilities of the playback devices and softwares can make big differences. But conversion is conversion, so some PQ altering and difference is inevitable compared to the "native" SDR. Also count in, that -like many conversions- it can be quite a bit resource-intensive. So this could also narrow down the circle of the possible devices.  

At least that's what i can think over this for now...
Completely right, but neverthless, my initial question remains: Do we really have no HDR ouput possibilities on Linux yet, and why is it on the contrary said to be working on AMS905X/S912 devices under Linux? Is it just a HDR-to-SDR conversion an thus fake advertisment for all users having a HDR-capable display?

Or asked differently and related to this thread: Do we really have to wait so long for getting proper HDR output via HDMI on Gemini Lake etc., or was this just false information? What is the real current status?
I repeat: HDR works properly on S905X boxes with LibreElec a relatively long time ago. The developer(s) of the Amlogic LibreElec have been started to develop it quite earlier. 

Intel just recently introduced the HDR support for some of their CPUs (on Windows 10 only), but it didn't included i.e. the Gemini Lake platform. It's hard to say now if the Gemini IGPs on the integrated boards will ever get official intel driver support for HDR (my guess would be no), but it seams -somewhat- possible that it MAY could have be unofficially solved (primarily on Linux/LE). But yet that still remains just an optimistic presumption. 

On hardware level, the Intel systems and the Amlogic platform could be also technically two completely different ground for the developers to deal with and the components of relevant Linux solutions can't just be ported over that easily (if at all). But that's just generally known expressly.
(2018-03-24, 10:29)JK1974 Wrote: Completely right, but neverthless, my initial question remains: Do we really have no HDR ouput possibilities on Linux yet, and why is it on the contrary said to be working on AMS905X/S912 devices under Linux? Is it just a HDR-to-SDR conversion an thus fake advertisment for all users having a HDR-capable display?
Nothing is "faked" HDR10 works.
Read HERE for detailed 4K HDR10 testing on S905X hardware running the LE or OSMC Linux distros. The S912 is the same. It's all handled at a AML Linux Kernel level, virtually independent of the OS or playback software used.

Kodi user interface selectable Chroma and bit depth settings are being added slowly to some AML LE distros. At the moment you can simply add them to a permanent LE or OSMC autostart file once you SSH login.

(2018-03-24, 10:29)JK1974 Wrote: Completely right, but neverthless, my initial question remains: Do we really have no HDR ouput possibilities on Linux yet, and why is it on the contrary said to be working on AMS905X/S912 devices under Linux? Is it just a HDR-to-SDR conversion an thus fake advertisment for all users having a HDR-capable display?

The issue is one of hardware support. Amlogic makes the referenced SoC's that use ARM processors and Mali GPUs that support hardware video decoding of H.264/H.265/VP9/etc and supports HDMI2.0a and HDR. The general operating system used for these that supports the above are either Android, Fire OS (Android), LibreELEC or OSMC.

Then to the rest of it, when you say Linux you're not mentioning the hardware. NVIDIA doesn't support HDR on Linux. AMD doesn't support HDR on Linux. Intel doesn't support HDR on Linux. The manufacturers need to support it for Linux to be able to use the hardware.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
So Geminilake won't support HDR on Windows? What is the lowest tdp Intel/amd cpu for HDR?

-HomeDope
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...dows-15-65-

Intel has released new 23.20.16.4982 driver.
(2018-03-25, 21:44)HomeDope Wrote: So Geminilake won't support HDR on Windows? What is the lowest tdp Intel/amd cpu for HDR?

-HomeDope
 Currently you need minimum a 7th gen i3 Core for HDR.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake1