• 19(current)
Intel Gemini Lake
(2019-10-21, 17:32)Mount81 Wrote:
(2019-10-21, 15:35)keoma Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 11:00)garcea Wrote: HDR on Intel
Are you really sure?  
Fairly certain. Patches were added with support for GLK.

Look here for example:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/11142231/  
Ok, can someone explain what that means in practice so far? The linked description states HDR support only on DP for Gemini Lake and on what platform and with what kind of Player? KODI I guess and Linux, but more specifically please? And can we expect it to work also with HDMI anytime soon? 
I think NUC7 Pentium/celeron has DP-internal but HDMI external so should work over HDMI. Problem is as I stated above; no support in Xorg or Wayland yet. I have no clue when that will be added. With the patches in the example it should be possible to use Kodi-gbm instead of Xorg/Wayland. My guess is that this is pretty experimental and it should be better for us "normal" users to wait for Xorg/Wayland-support or perhaps a customized LibreELEC build.
(2019-10-21, 17:32)Mount81 Wrote: The linked description states HDR support only on DP for Gemini Lake
https://github.com/freedesktop/drm-tip/c...85b071e868
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/25091/#rev15
(2019-10-21, 17:32)Mount81 Wrote: Ok, can someone explain what that means in practice so far?
That means that we will have to wait for this PR (among others) to be finalized and merged to Kodi master. AFAIK some changes to ffmpeg will be required too.
(2019-10-21, 19:14)keoma Wrote: I think NUC7 Pentium/celeron has DP-internal but HDMI external
Gemini Lake has native internal HDMI 2.0 controller.
Before I start digging, does anyone have audio dropouts on this board ?
I only get dropouts with 4k video and Atmos audio, 1080p video with the same audio track doesn't. Both video files have the same framerate
For anyone who want to check out HDR on Gemini Lake I posted a LibreELEC image with working HDR here.
(2020-01-26, 06:06)smp1 Wrote: For anyone who want to check out HDR on Gemini Lake I posted a LibreELEC image with working HDR here.

Thank you for this.
Kodi Enthusiast / Spontaneous Box Buyer / Wannabe Dev
[ Current favs: Fastest: Ugoos AM6 Android Box / Budget: Omni Kodi Stick / Balance: KM3 Android Box ] 
Hi there,
just a short question to the Intel-Gemini-Lake community:
Is here somebody who is running Kodi under Ubuntu (or similiar OS)? Could you please have a short view on an other thread here:
frame-stuttering issue
Can you confirm this problems?
I know, HDR, Dolby Atmos, etc. are much more up-to-date, but smooth video-playback should be basic, shouldn't it...
(2020-02-06, 12:34)contadino Wrote: Hi there,
just a short question to the Intel-Gemini-Lake community:
Is here somebody who is running Kodi under Ubuntu (or similiar OS)? Could you please have a short view on an other thread here:
frame-stuttering issue
Can you confirm this problems?
I know, HDR, Dolby Atmos, etc. are much more up-to-date, but smooth video-playback should be basic, shouldn't it...
Yeah I had the stuttering in Ubuntu 19.10 (but not 18.04) and fixed it by enabling the tearfree option in xorg.conf

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1066722/...04/1122245
Yeah! That does the trick! Laugh
Thanks a lot @teeedubb !!
Sometimes the solution can be so easy. But so hard to find...
I know that HDR is a work in progress and that gemini lake and above should be able to properly show HDR.
And i know, that the J4005 is the lowest end of the gemini lake with UHD 600 and that J5005 is probably the better choice (2vs4 cores, UHD 600 vs 605).

Now the question: should 4k 60Hz with 10bit HDR run as well on the J4005?

Asking because in this test (https://www.elefacts.de/test-68-intel_nu...windows_10) which is running on Kodi in Windows, the test file did run perfectly on the J5005, but not on the 4005, and the CPU Speed was not the problem (was at 20-30% usage).
Can anyone confirm that 4k 60Hz 10bit will make problems with J4005 on libreelec?
(2020-02-20, 14:01)PKOneTwo Wrote: I know that HDR is a work in progress and that gemini lake and above should be able to properly show HDR.
And i know, that the J4005 is the lowest end of the gemini lake with UHD 600 and that J5005 is probably the better choice (2vs4 cores, UHD 600 vs 605).

Asking because in this test (https://www.elefacts.de/test-68-intel_nu...windows_10) which is running on Kodi in Windows, the test file did run perfectly on the J5005, but not on the 4005, and the CPU Speed was not the problem (was at 20-30% usage).
Can anyone confirm that 4k 60Hz 10bit will make problems with J4005 on libreelec?

It's quite only the matter of the IGP, not the CPU power itself with video playback. UHD with HDR video playback sometimes needs a quite a bit of a IGP craft. See that even the Vega 8 and Vega 11 IGP's in the Ryzen APU's are just the very entry level for 4K / HDR and those are much powerful IGP's than any other Intel currently. Intel's may also could do to some kind of level, but it also depends on such things like how demanding is to playback the particular video: bitrate/codek/fps/HDR/ and the playback software that mostly matters. So in this state i guess, it's kind of very unpredictable to tell anything for sure how it would turn out (if anytime) in practice for Gemini IGP's. Needs than lots of testing, with lots of different test videos, many different playback software options and settings tweaking all around.
(2020-02-20, 17:26)Mount81 Wrote:
(2020-02-20, 14:01)PKOneTwo Wrote: I know that HDR is a work in progress and that gemini lake and above should be able to properly show HDR.

It's quite only the matter of the IGP, not the CPU power itself with video playback. UHD with HDR video playback sometimes needs a quite a bit of a IGP craft. See that even the Vega 8 and Vega 11 IGP's in the Ryzen APU's are just the very entry level for 4K / HDR and those are much powerful IGP's than any other Intel currently. Intel's may also could do to some kind of level, but it also depends on such things like how demanding is to playback the particular video: bitrate/codek/fps/HDR/ and the playback software that mostly matters. So in this state i guess, it's kind of very unpredictable to tell anything for sure how it would turn out (if anytime) in practice for Gemini IGP's. Needs than lots of testing, with lots of different test videos, many different playback software options and settings tweaking all around.   

I think you completely missed the questions or i missed what you wanted to explain to me:

Obviously Codec is HEVC (H.265), which all this thread is about! And Bitrate: well what the Profile Main 5.1 has it's specifictions.
This aside the Questions were:
Should 4k 60Hz with 10bit HDR run on J4005  as well as it does on the J5005?
And: can anyone confirm that 4k 60Hz 10bit will make problems with J4005 on libreelec?
(2020-02-20, 17:53)PKOneTwo Wrote: I think you completely missed the questions or i missed what you wanted to explain to me:

Obviously Codec is HEVC (H.265), which all this thread is about! And Bitrate: well what the Profile Main 5.1 has it's specifictions.
And: can anyone confirm that 4k 60Hz 10bit will make problems with J4005 on libreelec? 
Ok, maybe we both missed a bit of the point of the others explanations. My answer still stand so and still somewhat relevant, but than I repeat the headline: I guess that in this state of development, it's all still be guessing and unsure prediction to state anything regarding.
(2020-02-20, 18:40)Mount81 Wrote:
(2020-02-20, 17:53)PKOneTwo Wrote: I think you completely missed the questions or i missed what you wanted to explain to me:

Ok, maybe we both missed a bit of the point of the others explanations. My answer still stand so and still somewhat relevant, but than I repeat the headline: I guess that in this state of development, it's all still be guessing and unsure prediction to state anything regarding. 
Has nothing to do with guessing.
Either the Chipset can hrdware decode h.265 with HDR or not.
i already read that wioth some patchwork, ist does work.
What i want to klnow now is if the J4005 is sufficient enough or not?
J5005 has a more powerful GPU = does it concern the hardware decoding at all or does J4005 with less powerful GPU does the same in the same quality?
Decoding and output are two things.

Both obviously can decode h265 10 bit just fine. Depending on the windows driver, some are more limited than others when it comes to output.

Didn't we have that before? Certain devices were not allowed to passthrough dts-hd ma on windows, but worked fine on linux?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, let's see the example: UHD / HDR, 10bit, 23.976fps, 140Mbit/s bitrate video. Implemented decoders right enough for this on their own? No additional IGP raw power needed? All smooth, no stutter, no framedrops? With what kind of Playback software? I would highly doubt it. Expect what comes with 60fps. Or prove me wrong, I'm all ears now...
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Gemini Lake1