Linux Schedules Direct Setup on Ubuntu Server
Hi. I wanted to set up TVH on an Ubuntu Server, as although works, I thought Libreelec/Kodi/TVH Server on one machine was bloated(!), so for me is now on Hyper-V, and runs brilliantly. However, it took me loads of attempts to get this far, and the information I needed was on five separate and different forums. So I thought I would consolidate them into one thread for easy searching etc!!

EDIT: Don't run as a Super User, (sudo su, type password) otherwise the last two commands will not work, hts user has no password, and it won't work even if you type nothing in. Should have made that clear when I first posted!
  • Install Ubuntu Server (!) 
  • Add third Party Repo to server for TVHeadend 4.2 and install.
  • Below are the commands:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mamarley/tvheadend-git-stable
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install tvheadend
  • For Schedules Direct to work, we need XMLTV version 0.5.69, which had the new 'tv_grab_zz_sdjson' grabber for Schedules Direct
  • Below are the commands
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alex-tomlins/xmltv
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xmltv
  • To add your account run (we need to be logged in to TVH user account for this - took me HOURS to find this!)
    sudo su - hts
    EDIT: the command below is not run with sudo
    tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure
  • Here you just follow the config setup instructions.

Then from there, you can go into the TVH GUI via http://youriptotvheadend:9981 and run the wizard. Also you can, if like me have no need for OTA EPG, can turn off everything else in the EPG grabber modules in TVH and just use the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber.

This should work regardless of Country of Origin, and anyone who uses Schedules Direct for their PVR.

I just hope someone finds this useful!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Thank you for your contribution.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
any idea what the password is for the hts user? when i run sudo tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure it asks for the password.
It doesn’t have one, that is why all the commands are under sudo, if you log in as a super user from the get go, then it falls down at this point, should have mentioned that in my first post.... in fact I will edit it for future users.

My bad in not putting that in there in the first place.
My Setup thread |
I'm sorry I must be doing something wrong here are my commands and the response it happens if i use sudo su hts or sudo su - hts . I will say I already had tvheadend installed so I didn't use your install commands

dad@Tigger:/home$ sudo su hts
hts@Tigger:/home$ sudo tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure
[sudo] password for hts:

I haven't typed in sudo su before any of this. Not while installing tvheadend or following your commands.
Last command not sudo at the beginning, oops, just ran a fresh install, and when you have sudo at the beginning of the last command, it does indeed ask for password, removing ‘sudo’ Ubuntu doesn’t ask for password, and it installs correctly. I will therefore edit (again!) my first post.

I obviously got to enthusiastic with my sudo commands LOL
My Setup thread |
Thanks for the help but I am just striking out all over the place.

dad@Tigger:/$ sudo su - hts
hts@Tigger:~$ tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure
cannot mkdir /home/hts/.xmltv: File exists at /usr/share/perl5/XMLTV/Config_file.pm line 24.

guess I need to open the config_file.pm and look at line 24
Just re-read your post, is there anything else on the server, or is it just TVH, if it's the latter, fresh install  from the beginning, just use these commands.

The reason why I'm asking, is that these commands only really work with a fresh install of Ubuntu, with the right repo for TVH 4.2, with the right XMLTV version for Schedules Direct to work. It seems that TVH is very picky how it is installed, especially with external XMLTV grabbers.

I spent many, many hours looking online, trying different repos for TVH, only to find I was downloading 4.0, or the official Ubuntu repo was downloading an earlier version of XMLTV (the 'zz' version of 'sdjson' isn't in the old version, and the sudo su - hts, as mentioned before took forever to find.

This fresh install 'seems' to be the only recipe that works perfectly with schedules direct, and one that I can replicate.
My Setup thread |
thanks for your help. I have tvheadend installed on my main pc looking to dvr shows off my OTA antenea HDHomerun setup. I installed it following the directions here https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend...Repository  . guess i will have to mess with it again another time. Tvheadend is working and getting like 4 days of EPG from the OTA grabber was just looking to use my already paid for subscription to Schedules Direct that i had from before my switch to Linux.
Did you start on the official repository or the unofficial? My setup starts on the unofficial, as I had issues with the official one.
My Setup thread |
I used the official.
Try the steps again, but start with the third party repo - and see what happens
My Setup thread |
ok. I will have to uninstall the version I have first
Thanks for that, TJay - really very helpful.

You appear to have run into some very similar issues that I had.

I was running Openmediavault 3 on my Server, which is based upon Debian 8 (Jessie).

I have a Schedules Direct account, so installed XMLTV on my system and noted that Debian 8 only supports version 0.5.63 - I therefore did not have the tv_grab_zz_sdjson that is only supported in 0.5.69.

If I follow this instruction:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alex-tomlins/xmltv
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xmltv

Do you know whether I might be able to install version 0.5.69 on Debian 8?

The above problem is the exact reason I am trying to install OMV 4, which installs 0.5.69 as standard - I am, however having a few issues with it.
I've found azlm8t's fork of tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite to be much better than the non-sqlite grabber, and better than the original with support for artwork and <premiere /> tagging in the generated output. Just install the xmltv package as provided, then clone and install the other grabber into /usr/bin and use that. Much less friction, and only uses the modules from xmltv, not its grabbers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Schedules Direct Setup on Ubuntu Server1