v18 Music visualization (Milkdrop) issue
Hi All,

Just to notify that after a clean installation of the latest Kodi 18 Leia alpha1, if I start to play a song, Kodi starts to use the Milkdrop visualization even if the related default option is set to None.

Would be nice if someone can confirm this issue. Don't know if I need to open a ticket for that or this thread is enough.

Thanks in advance for the attention.
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
In case you found useful my work, feel free to offer me a cappuccino!
I can confirm this behaviour in Win64 nightly 20180109-0c21beb, Milkdrop viz runs even if the addon itself is disabled.

Also the default (out the box) behaviour in Esturay ends up with artist fanart overlayed too

It would seem that the default setting (use Milkdrop viz) is being applied too aggressively, or it could be related to the addon settings failing to be read (see errors in log).

Thanks for reporting this. I will ask around in the team and see if I can find a dev to take this on (not my area of knowledge), otherwise raise a ticket if you like to help it not get forgotten.
The visualisation over fanart thing can be disabled via the OSD settings on Leia (didn't make cut off for Krypton).
Yes, from my perspective the issue is just the fact that the music visualization starts even if it is disabled by default in a clean installation of Kodi.

Thanks for taking care of this!
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
(2018-01-10, 17:30)axlt2002 Wrote: Yes, from my perspective the issue is just the fact that the music visualization starts even if it is disabled by default in a clean installation of Kodi.
That is bizzare isn't it - viz addon disabled, Settings>Player>Music> Visualization set to "none" and yet Milkdrop runs.

It is down to the default guisettings.xml value having
<setting id="musicplayer.visualisation" default="true">visualization.milkdrop</setting>
while the milkdrop addon is disabled by default.

But because the addons are disabled by default on install, the settings GUI can not be set to visualisation to "Milkdrop" (a disabled addon), so displays "none". Hence the main settings menu can not be used to change the saved value to "none" because it already has that value on screen.

The fix is wonderfully simple - ensure that guisettings.xml  has<setting id="musicplayer.visualisation" default="true"></setting> by default.

Meanwhile as a user work around you can clear the viz from the player OSD, as that shows the current value ("Milkdrop") and "none".

But I am left thinking that runnng a viz addon should check that the addon is enabled first too, not just rely on the user not being able to select a disabled viz.
Great! Thanks for your help!

Are you going to propose the modification for the next nightly release?

Have a nice evening.
(2018-01-10, 23:05)axlt2002 Wrote: Are you going to propose the modification for the next nightly release?
Yes I will ensure a PR is raised to fix this, but it is not going to be in tonight's nightly.
No hurry at all! Wink Thanks again for your help!
(2018-01-10, 19:34)DaveBlake Wrote: Meanwhile as a user work around you can clear the viz from the player OSD, as that shows the current value ("Milkdrop") and "none".

Another workaround is to select "Visualisation - None" in the GUI so the selection window opens, if no visualisation addons are enabled you will just have the "None" option here, select "None" this then updates the guisettings.xml so Milkdrop is no longer selected in the xml, after doing this immediately exit Kodi to ensure the change in guisettings.xml gets saved.
(2018-01-10, 19:34)DaveBlake Wrote: The fix is wonderfully simple - ensure that guisettings.xml  has<setting id="musicplayer.visualisation" default="true"></setting> by default.
 I have tried to modify manually the guisettings.xml as you suggested...but every time Kodi is launched, it overwrites the guisettings.xml adding the milkdrop visualization to it.

So may be the fix should be inside the code part of Kodi that manages the guisettings.xml file.
(2018-01-11, 17:23)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-01-10, 19:34)DaveBlake Wrote: Meanwhile as a user work around you can clear the viz from the player OSD, as that shows the current value ("Milkdrop") and "none".

Another workaround is to select "Visualisation - None" in the GUI so the selection window opens, if no visualisation addons are enabled you will just have the "None" option here, select "None" this then updates the guisettings.xml so Milkdrop is no longer selected in the xml, after doing this immediately exit Kodi to ensure the change in guisettings.xml gets saved. 
 This is the one that I'm actually using while...waiting for the final fix! Wink
PR to fix this raised https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13358
Thank you!  Nod
If I read this right, it seems a bit of a shame to disable visualizations by default on all platforms.

I always used to like the equalizer showing with the "out of the box" experience.

Not a massive issue I suppose, but I worry some less savvy users will simply never see a music viz.
The choice has been made (not by me) to disable the viz addons on installation, hence the settings need to change to match that state rather than leave Kodi broken "out the box"!

For a default viz to work we also need something always installed and enabled on all platforms, if we ever have that then the default settings can change accordingly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music visualization (Milkdrop) issue0