v18 "Minimize Black Bars" stretches Video and destroys Aspect Ratio. ZoomIn option Please
"Minimize Black Bars" just stretches the Video and destroys the original Aspect Ratio of the Video which results in bad viewing experience.
Please make an option that the User can decide to "zoom in" or "stretch" the video "minimize black bars".

Tested with Libreelec on an Amlogic Device.
The zoom option has in XBMC and Kodi for ages, via the 'z' button or via the OSD. Toggle it a couple of times for the correct display.

If you are watching a video with a different aspect than the one of your tv/monitor/phone, and you don't want too change the aspect ratio, you have a simple choice:
- Either you go with the black bars
- Or you choose to zoom in and miss a part of the video display.

You basically cannot put a circle in a square opening, it doesn't fit. Smile

(Or you can stop viewing ripped videos where black bars have even been added intentionally by so-called 'experts')
I know but you have to do it manually.
"Minimize Black Bars" is something which works automatic.
It would be nice if "Minimize Black Bars" can be optional set to zoom instead of stretch.
So 4:3 and 2,35:1 gets zoomed in automatically to fill a lil bit more of a 16:9 screen.
(2018-01-18, 07:13)wedok Wrote: "Minimize Black Bars" just stretches the Video and destroys the original Aspect Ratio of the Video which results in bad viewing experience.
Please make an option that the User can decide to "zoom in" or "stretch" the video "minimize black bars".

Tested with Libreelec on an Amlogic Device.
 Kodi can do this already an platforms like Linux X11/Wayland or Windows. Platforms where video bypasses Kodi's rendersystem have limited options.
Settings/Player/Videos (wiki) 2.4 is where you can set it to zoom 4:3 videos automatically.

@Klojum
Yeah, I knew that one was coming. Wink
(2018-01-18, 08:10)Klojum Wrote: (Or you can stop viewing ripped videos where black bars have even been added intentionally by so-called 'experts')
 How about my case, where I've been increasing my collection of older 90's anime that have gotten Blu-Ray releases.  That 4:3 content has pillar boxes to fit the 1920x1080 resolution of the Blu-Ray.  So when I remux them to use in Kodi, all of that black space remains.  Or uhh, is this also your definition of 'ripped videos by so-called experts'?

Fun Fact: The pirated versions crop out the pillar boxes since they are re-encoding where as I remux my discs to keep everything intact.
(2018-01-24, 18:56)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Or uhh, is this also your definition of 'ripped videos by so-called experts'?
Nope, I had the experts in mind, who intentionally add black sections to 21:9 videos and make them in 16:9 aspect ratio output... Oo

The "old" 4:3 aspect ratio is almost impossible to paste onto a now default 16:9 screen.
(2018-01-24, 19:45)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 18:56)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Or uhh, is this also your definition of 'ripped videos by so-called experts'?
Nope, I had the experts in mind, who intentionally add black sections to 21:9 videos and make them in 16:9 aspect ratio output... Oo

The "old" 4:3 aspect ratio is almost impossible to paste onto a now default 16:9 screen. 
 Yeah, all Blu-Rays do that for the same reason my 4:3 anime Blu-Rays have pillar boxing baked in.  Because there is no 4:3 HD resolution that is legal for a Blu-Ray.  Blu-Ray DOES support 1440x1080 but ONLY anthropomorphically at 16:9, so any 4:3 HD material on BluRay has to be 1920x1080 with pillar boxes.  This is also why you see films that are wider than 16:9 having some letter boxing baked in.  Because they HAVE TO to conform to specifications.  Meanwhile, rips normally crop these out since they have the luxury of re-encoding and not needing to fit rigid specs

I get that you're a mod, but I'm pretty sure you just made a critical remark to a user over their 'rips' while misunderstanding how baked in pillar boxing and letterboxing is the normal for BluRays.  (Also for Remuxed rips)
exactly, I watch TV and the transmitted shows change all the time but Kodi does not handle that well

really this would solve almost everything:

1) detect black bars, but even the side black bars! But with a tolerance - a TV logo can be there
2) fill to the screen completely without the black bars (accepting a possible zoom), but no change the ratio
3) for detected 3:2 and less (this includes 4:3 of course) found after the step 1) slightly zoom and non linear stretch (now the non linear stretch is awfully distorted, now 4:3 in 16:9 TV show is not stretched, does not work)
4) test this detection every 3 seconds, after 3 successful detection of ONE but different type, change

this is the best solution I have met so far but the description above would be sufficient for the majority for sure

I think this should be fully automated and this solution is I believe very convenient for almost all

what do you think?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Minimize Black Bars" stretches Video and destroys Aspect Ratio. ZoomIn option Please0