Why is it so hard to add "Remove" function in music library?
I have seen this request many times even back in 2010.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...ry+entries

Why?
I don't understand your question, as far as I am concerned the music library does have a remove facility.

But the major reason that Kodi does not have any given feature is because of a lack of volunteer developers with the knowledge, skills, interest and spare time to give freely to the project.
(2018-02-05, 13:38)DaveBlake Wrote: I don't understand your question, as far as I am concerned the music library does have a remove facility.

But the major reason that Kodi does not have any given feature is because of a lack of volunteer developers with the knowledge, skills, interest and spare time to give freely to the project.
 In Fileview, we can right click a folder to "Scan item to library".  In Library, we can't right click an entry to "Remove" it from library.

I know resources are limited.  However, there is a forum named "Feature Request", so I believe the developers still love users' feedbacks and even requests.  What I just don't understand is why this requested feature is low priority after so many years and requests.
cause it's still the developer who picks whatever he wants to work on and we don't work by popular demand
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Other than that, as DaveBlake mentioned, you do have a remove facility, i.e. you can remove albums from the source, then this album will be removed from the library, by running the "clean library" process. Removing an album, but keep the files within the music source, just doesn't make sense. Create an other folder, name it Not-in-library or whatever you want, and move those albums out there what you don't want to see in the library, then run "clean library".

I think you do realize that you are communicating in a provocative, harsh style, what you do intentionally - this is not appreciated!
(2018-02-05, 14:59)olympia Wrote: Other than that, as DaveBlake mentioned, you do have a remove facility, i.e. you can remove albums from the source, then this album will be removed from the library, by running the "clean library" process. Removing an album, but keep the files within the music source, just doesn't make sense. Create an other folder, name it Not-in-library or whatever you want, and move those albums out there what you don't want to see in the library, then run "clean library".

I think you do realize that you are communicating in a provocative, harsh style, what you do intentionally - this is not appreciated!
 I didn't mean to offend anyone.  If someone was offended, my apologies.
I am kinda old and what I learned back school for programming was Pascal and Fortran.  I really have no idea if adding "Remove" function is hard or not using current programming languages.
Sorry again.
No offense taken, but it does niggle when you are busy giving freely of your time trying to improve Kodi to have a user (in their 12th forum post) ask why such-and-such isn't done yet. Kodi has hundreds of thousands of users, and merely a handful of active developers, we get stressed!

Resources are not only limited,  they can not be directed on demand either. Work is peer reviewed for both design and quality of implementation, but no team member can command another person to work on any given tasks.  How devs choose what they work on is up to them. Kodi is a large and long standing project so there is a significant learning curve involved in understanding the current design before useful contributions can be made. It makes sense that most contributors start with some area or issue that interests them personally, and then once knowledge grows get pulled into other bugs and features from there.

Your thread title assumes that a feature you want has not been added because it is hard. In reality it has not been added because no one with the skills has been interested in adding it or had the time to do so, or because it does not make sense in the context of how Kodi is designed.  Frankly programming languages are irrelevant.

Adding a remove function for individual library items (songs, albums or artists) does not fit with the rest of the design, which is based on adding music sources (folders on hard drives where music can be found) and then automatically building and manitaining a library based on the music files found in those sources. Want to remove some music from the library, physically remove it from the source, don't tinker with library entries.
(2018-02-05, 18:51)DaveBlake Wrote: No offense taken, but it does niggle when you are busy giving freely of your time trying to improve Kodi to have a user (in their 12th forum post) ask why such-and-such isn't done yet. Kodi has hundreds of thousands of users, and merely a handful of active developers, we get stressed!

@DaveBlake you are speaking out of the bottom of my heart.

ksooo, another Kodi developer who got stressed so much by demanding and unthankful users not understanding how open source projects work, that he decided to step back from Kodi feature development.
Remove item from library would be nice, but it would be just added next time you did a music library scan.

So removing the source media, then cleaning the library is a sensible way to go.

This is already possible and can even be automated with something like the file browser and then library Auto Update Add-on

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is it so hard to add "Remove" function in music library?0