Bug KODI 17/18 + Sony Android TV + HDR10 Content = Grey Bars
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that. I wish I could repay you somehow. I am going to make like 3 copies of this build.
No problem, I am glad to help you.
I had the same problem on my Sony X900E, but I found out that it happens on almost all players with HDR content. Archos video, VLC, even Amazon Prime shows gray bars with HDR. That's one of the reasons I returned my TV.
Yeah, that seem to be a(nother) bug on the Sony/Philips/Mediatek devices.
There is a programmatic workaround, though, it's to have the root window (and eveything in-between) made transparent.

It's how it was on SPMC, and how it will be in MrMC 3.7
It is now beta5 and this issue is still not fixed. Even it used to be fine on 20180120 build. @Koying is MrMC fixed this in 3.7? Considering purchase.
go ahead
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Purchased. The letterbox is black, but Audio sync does not work as well as Kodi
I have this issue, too.

Sony Bravia A1 2017 - Android 7 + Kodi nightly from today Sad

SPMC display of the letterbox are correctly black.

Any progress on that front?
Joined just to join this thread as also have this issue

Sony XF9005 latest update
Kodi v18 "Leia" RC 1
Mixture of x264 and x265 4K HDR content

Doesn't happen on any x264 content but majority of x265 shows grey bars and weirdly not all the same ton of grey some more grey than others.

Anyone have anymore info on this? Does Kodi 17 work better? Will this possibly be fixed with public version of Kodi 18?
Hi
I have also the same problem. Gray bar on hdr content, but no all films.
I have the new kodi leia
My TV is Sony 55xf9005
I too have this issue on all x265 content with HDR (TV is a Sony Bravia 65XE9005).

Plex have now found and fixed the issue (in beta, not fully released yet) - more information here.  The “fix” was to set the background of the screen to transparent instead of black - I wonder if this can be done via Kodi config?

I created a Reddit post on this specific issue to see if anyone had any work arounds, now that a solution is known.  Maybe drop a comment on the Reddit post here?

Would really love to see a fix for this in Kodi!
Quote:If your curious, the "fix" was to set the background of the screen to transparent instead of black, there was nothing wrong with the HDR data or anything specific to playback of HDR content. It's definitely a hardware issue or something in the Android OS provided by Sony as it should only be applying the HDR data to the video and has no reason to change the black bars to grey, but we will be rolling out this fix in the next release.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-01-02, 19:53)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:If your curious, the "fix" was to set the background of the screen to transparent instead of black, there was nothing wrong with the HDR data or anything specific to playback of HDR content. It's definitely a hardware issue or something in the Android OS provided by Sony as it should only be applying the HDR data to the video and has no reason to change the black bars to grey, but we will be rolling out this fix in the next release.
Does that mean you might be able to work on fixing it?

Any idea if we can implement said work around via config files?

Thanks!
This is not a fix. This is forcing the GPU to resolve the alpha channel. It's yet another fuckup by Sony ... I really wonder why people give them their money.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It's the kind of issue you don't really even know about until you've bought the TV and been using it for a few months Smile

Based on your reply I'm going to assume this isn't easily fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI 17/18 + Sony Android TV + HDR10 Content = Grey Bars2