• 8(current)
Release CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)
(2018-04-27, 20:01)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-04-27, 15:40)micahg Wrote:
(2018-04-27, 06:09)Warner306 Wrote: I deleted the addon data and all was working again. If it happens again, I’ll send you a debug log. I access each show through favourites, so maybe this corrupted the addon in some way.

Everything in their API guid based (basically random) - I suspect that they change, which is why your favourites broke.

(2018-04-27, 06:09)Warner306 Wrote: Would you consider adding a favourites feature? It’s not necessary but would make things easier.

It isn't high on my priority list. But, the beauty of open source is that you can do it yourself if you like. Code is linked in the first post.    
 I wasn't just attempting to access the content via favourites. I was also unable to access the content directly from the shows section. Something broke the device registration feature, as this process enabled again when I deleted the add on data folder. Something is amiss, but I'll see if it happens again.

If I could code, I would add a favourites features. But I can't, so I live with things as they are. It is already a satisfying experience. Your work is much appreciated here. I really missed the CBC.ca add on after the last one stopped development nearly two years ago.

Keep up the good work... 
   I had exactly the same problem as you I couldn't  access  the ON Demand , live worked fine. I deleted the addon data folder as you did and it works again.

Thanks for this I would never have known what to do.
Further to my previous post, I have found a stream that does work.

I had tried numerous TV show episodes and all gave the "one or more items failed to play" error (Bondi Vet, Kids in the Hall, etc) and also Live news (Regina, Toronto, Winnipeg) which also failed to play. All of these play without issue on my Android phone which is on the same WiFi network as my Kodi is (no VPN or anything fishy...).

Then by chance I tried David Attenborough's Reef series and it played fine.

After that I thought perhaps I need a Premium account at CBC instead of a free one, even though the free one seemed to give me everything via the Android app... So I signed up for the free 30-day Premium.

I can now play Kids in the Hall and Paul O'Gradys For The Love of Dogs, but no Bondi Vet and none of the Live Regional feeds.

So...it seems that having Premium account made some difference but still doesn't allow access to everything that can be accessed via the Android app. Even a non-premium free account allowed me to see everything I tried with the Android app, albeit with ads. So there's a difference between what's available and what the Kodi addon can access.

Happy to assist in testing further changes to the app...

Cheers
Robert
Hi @WildPhydeaux, sorry for not taking a look sooner.

I'll be up front with you all -- I have to timebox my efforts as this is just a sideproject and the CBC doesn't publish their spec. Its clear enough how it works, but I'm still reverse-engineering it. So hopefully over time we'll get away from all these defects and bugs.

Now, specifically for your issue @WildPhydeaux  -- I had a look through the log you posted and I didn't get much from it. What I do see is that Kodi starts and without even getting into the addon it starts trying to play Bondi Vet. I'm not sure how you managed that or maybe its just not a good log file, but either way, I can't really debug anything.

Can you turn on debug logging and curl under component specific logging (there is a link in the first post that explains how). Enter the addon from the addons menu and then go through the shows list?

Also, what platform are you running on -- its a 32-bit arm build from what I can tell -- just a generic android box?
No worries at all, judging by your engagement in this thread you seem to doing a great job at supporting and refining this excellent addon and its very much appreciated!

In retrospect, although I turned on curl and ffmpeg specific logging, I'm pretty sure I didn't toggle full debug. I'll do that and paste a proper log file for you.

The system is an OSMC Vero 4k, with an AArch64 processor. A dedicated Kodi box, no Android in sight...

Cheers,
Robert
Ok, so I toggled on full debug plus curl and ffmpeg then rebooted.

Went to the addon, chose Show, Bondi Vet, Season 8 and selected the first episode on the list (Scoobie's Hip Replacement). Got the Working... spinner for a minute or so and then the error.

I did check with the CBC app on my phone and this episode is available and working.

I then went to Live Channels and tried CBKT Regina. It errored also.

Here's the log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/obicelunob

Cheers,
Robert
If the CBC add-on is not working for you then try the following steps to remove the add-on cache to see if this fixes the problem.

ESTUARY

With the new Estuary skin that comes with Kodi 17 Krypton:

1. Go to Gear icon (System) and press Enter.
2. Go to File manager and press Enter.
3. Go to Profile directory and press Enter.
4. Go to addon_data and press Enter.
5. Go to plugin.video.cbc and
        Keyboard:                   LONG PRESS Enter 
        MCE Remote Control:  Press DVD Menu
     to pop up a menu.
6. Go to Delete and press Enter.
7. Go to Yes and press Enter to confirm delete.
8. Press Escape twice to go back to main Kodi menu.

CONFLUENCE

With the older Confluence skin that came with prior Kodi versions:

1. Go to System -> File manager and press Enter.
2. Go to Profile directory and press Enter.
3. Go to addon_data and press Enter.
4. Go to plugin.video.cbc and
        Keyboard:                   LONG PRESS Enter
        MCE Remote Control:  Press DVD Menu
     to pop up a menu.
5. Go to Delete and press Enter.
6. Go to Yes and press Enter to confirm delete.
7. Press Escape to go back to main Kodi menu.

Now that the addon_data cache has been deleted, try again to play a show.

These steps worked for me with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC) add-on version 4.0.3 to play the pilot episode of "Burden of Truth".
Tried the above with no success. Nothing I tried to play today worked, even the couple ones that did play yesterday no longer play. All are online and play fine using the Android app on my phone. Weird indeed, but Micahg is on the case whenever he can, I've no doubt!

Cheers,
Robert
Great post!

What I end up doing when the addon won't work properly even after and especially after an update, I uninstall the addon and delete the folder in .../addon_data/plugin.video.cbc

Might seem extreme but it has resolved most issues when all else has failed.

Another thing I did to help along the addon on my hardware: I set up an advancedsettings.xml file to increase the cache. Performance is now improved overall on all streaming addons that I use. go figure. ymmv
Hi @WildPhydeaux -- the really wierd thing about your situation is that I can see FFMPEG going off and probing the different segments.  This is where it craps out:

Code:

21:35:20.877 T:3746034432 ERROR: ffmpeg[DF47F300]: Unable to open key file https://cbcvott-a.akamaihd.net/p//38e815...ypt-60.key
21:35:20.879 T:3746034432 ERROR: ffmpeg[DF47F300]: [crypto] Unable to open resource: https://cbcvott-a.akamaihd.net/p//38e815...v5/v5_0.ts
21:35:20.879 T:3746034432 ERROR: ffmpeg[DF47F300]: [hls,applehttp] Error when loading first segment 'https://cbcvott-a.akamaihd.net/p//38e815a-00adf12923b//CBC_BONDI_VET_SEASON_08_S08E01-v2-10542614/segments/CBC_BONDI_VET_SEASON_08_S08E01_v5/v5_0.ts'

And this is after its parsed a bunch of m3u8 files and other video segments. For comparison, can you put Kodi on a desktop (Window/Linux/whatever) and see if you get similar results? Its so bizarre because earlier I can see it successfully read a different key. Stranger still, I do not get this problem on _anything_, but I'm using kodi 18 nightlies...

Show of hands -- how many people are experiencing this and on which platform?
Thanks Micahg,

No Windows PCs here, but I just installed Kodi 17.6 onto my Linux Mint 18.3 (64-bit) desktop. Nothing configured, just basic install and added the CBC addon. Entered username/password. First start of the addon and I get a popup addon error. Second attempt crashes Kodi. Restarted, enabled debug, restarted and ran the CBC addon again. Same result - first time just the error, second time crashes Kodi.

Debug Log

I have another system I can put the latest LibreElec on if you want me to try that also. I guess I could also spin up a Windows 7 VM on my desktop if you want. Just let me know...

Cheers,
Robert
RE: Show of hands.

I am able to successfully play CBC shows with CBC TV add-on v4.0.3.  I'm using Kodi 17.3 (RetroPie) and 17.6 (LibreElec) on Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 respectively.

Note that on at least two occasions I have encountered errors.  When this happened I have had to delete the "addon_data/plugin.video.cbc/" cache.  After that the shows would play properly again.

Thanks again @micahg for maintaining this add-on.

EDIT:  For the record I do not use a username/password with the add-on.
On this latest Kodi install on LM I also just tried deleting the only file that was in "addon_data/plugin.video.cbc/" which was settings.xml (which contains username and password). Made no difference.

Also tried deleting the entire directory, same result and either entering an username/password into the addon configuration or leaving them blank makes no difference also. It runs first with an error and second run crashes Kodi.

Cheers,
Robert
Time to get creative...

Installed Kodi from the Play Store onto my Android mobile phone. Installed CBC addon, left it with no credentials.

First tried S08E01 of Bondi Vet. Popup telling me to go to the CBC website and sign up for an account.
Tried Kids in the Hall, S01E01. Same error as noted in my previous posts.
Tried Live TV, Regina feed. Same error.

Took mobile phone off of my LAN WiFi, onto cell provider system. Restarted Kodi.
Bondi Vet gave same message about creating account. Entered credentials into CBC Addon and tried Bondi Vet again. Noted an "Authorizing device" message followed by... successfully playing the episode.
Other items seem to play fine also.

Determination:
1. Some material from CBC requires an account (unknown if free or paid account is different, other than commercials) and some material does not.

2.The issue I'm having with the CBC Addon is likely unrelated to the platform I'm running it on and more to do with something LAN related, although I was able to view a couple videos successfully a couple days ago.

So, any ideas of where to look? It's a pretty simple LAN, nothing very elaborate, all clients are a wired except mobile phone. I have reasonable bandwidth and very little utilizing it. I guess the obvious place to start is the router. Are there any specific requirements to look for there?

Then again, it may not be the LAN specifically because I can successfully use the CBC Android app on my mobile phone while connected WiFi to the LAN. So something specific to the way Kodi utilizes the LAN, although, I have experimented with other streaming video addons with Kodi in the past with no errors.

Cheers
Robert
I want to thank micahg for his wonderful work.on.this add-on. I created the original one and he's taken over and done a better job than I ever did.
(2018-05-01, 20:08)WildPhydeaux Wrote: 1. Some material from CBC requires an account (unknown if free or paid account is different, other than commercials) and some material does not.

Yeah, that I confirm 100% -- thats how the website works. Right now if you don't have an account you can't watch everything. In future, I suspect in the future they might try to force people to pay for access to the complete catalogue.
(2018-05-01, 20:08)WildPhydeaux Wrote: 2.The issue I'm having with the CBC Addon is likely unrelated to the platform I'm running it on and more to do with something LAN related, although I was able to view a couple videos successfully a couple days ago.

So, any ideas of where to look? It's a pretty simple LAN, nothing very elaborate, all clients are a wired except mobile phone. I have reasonable bandwidth and very little utilizing it. I guess the obvious place to start is the router. Are there any specific requirements to look for there?

I'm still not convinced here -- the HLS streams seem to die on you -- the addon is doing its job and passing the stream location to Kodi, who then passes it over to FFMPEG... The whole way FFMPEG probes every single HLS bitrate isn't great anyway and really slows down playback -- it doesn't even switch between bitrates after probing, so we get nothing for it. I might try adding manual bitrate selection to see if that helps. I think I'm also having issues state in the settings.xml, which might be where some of the other complications are coming from -- I'll switch to back to my normal routing of a separate settings json file to store app state (eg: tokens, auth state).

I'll try and get some work done this weekend.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)1