Does Kodi transcode the movies?
(2018-02-16, 20:38)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 20:55)natethomas Wrote: With that said, even if you did have the setup I described, with two instances of Kodi, Kodi still wouldn't transcode, because we haven't built Kodi to have the ability to transcode and because in most cases the version of Kodi acting as the player would have all the same powers as the version of Kodi acting as the server, so there would be no need to transcode.
This is not true anymore. Kodi's architecture is running though a transformation that finally makes transcoding on-the-fly possible by a headless server component. Still a long way to go but I wanted to stress that Kodi is (re)built with the abiltiy to transcode.. 
My guess this is a v19 deal bit sounds super interesting none the less. Smile
Seems like the perfect thread to post in.

I have a server that I stream movies from with Kodi. I point to my file share in my library. Works great on the local network. I have a VPN setup between two locations, my server location and the remote location. The problem I have is the upload speed at the server location tops out at 12Mbps and when I try to play a movie at the remote location I get a lot of buffering for higher quality movies. My question is, is it possible for me to downscale with Kodi to allow the remote location to say watch the movie in 720p instead of 1080p or 4K?

Thanks in advance!
No, there is no transcoding preformed by Kodi. It simply plays the file. But work is being performed to allow that option in future.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-05, 00:02)Karellen Wrote: No, there is no transcoding preformed by Kodi. It simply plays the file. But work is being performed to allow that option in future.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea on the planned release date? I sure love some Kodi, been using it since it's early days as XBMC. Really would hate to have to use something else.
Sorry, I have not seen any talk of a release date. In fact, I haven't seen any talk about it for quite a while. Everybody is still working towards the v18 release, so that is where all the effort is.

It will be in a later release. Keep fingers crossed for v19 Wink
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-05, 01:15)Karellen Wrote: Sorry, I have not seen any talk of a release date. In fact, I haven't seen any talk about it for quite a while. Everybody is still working towards the v18 release, so that is where all the effort is.

It will be in a later release. Keep fingers crossed for v19 Wink

Thanks for the update! I'll use Plex for that site for the time being. As soon as Kodi gets the feature, I'll be switch back!
I really do hope kodi allows transcoding soon I have a stack of 4k h.265 files piling up that my TV will not playback 

plan B of cause is to go back to playing through the PC ..
Not likely to happen anytime soon as no one is currently working on this area.
(2019-04-21, 00:28)MasterCATZ Wrote: I really do hope kodi allows transcoding soon I have a stack of 4k h.265 files piling up that my TV will not playback 
plan B of cause is to go back to playing through the PC ..

This sounds like getting a bigger set of wheels that don't fit under your car.

Why get 4K files if your TV cannot display them? And plenty of times, the difference in 1080p vs 2160p video quality in movies is hardly noticeable... Many times, 4K movies have been upscaled with poor results.

Option C: get a cheap Android box next to your TV that CAN play 4K videos properly.
My projector max resolution is 1080p.  My TVs and everything else in the video chain (server, switcher, receiver, splitter, etc) supports 4K HDR.  I would like the option of transcoding 4K HDR video to 1080p (non-HDR) when using the projector. I am not a fan of having Kodi call an external player (such as VLC).

Is there any ETA or news on the transcoding front.
(2023-05-17, 21:54)MediaPlayerFan Wrote: My projector max resolution is 1080p.  My TVs and everything else in the video chain (server, switcher, receiver, splitter, etc) supports 4K HDR.  I would like the option of transcoding 4K HDR video to 1080p (non-HDR) when using the projector. I am not a fan of having Kodi call an external player (such as VLC).

Is there any ETA or news on the transcoding front.

your projector (as well as any display) will already have hardware scaling - any software scaling would be unnecessary overhead in both code and load on the device, not to mention in my opinion worse quality than letting the hardware do its job
My projector will not accept a 4K input.

To some extent I answered my own question.  Setting Kodi to output only 1080p will do the job.  The HDMI output to the video equipment is 1080p until a 4K video starts playing. At that time, everything in the HDMI chain switches to 2160p as it should. I guess I am just looking for a shortcut that does not switch to 2160p. Ideally, with a keymap I would like to choose whether Kodi outputs 1080p or 2160p for a 4K movie.
(2023-05-17, 22:13)MediaPlayerFan Wrote: My projector will not accept a 4K input.

To some extent I answered my own question.  Setting Kodi to output only 1080p will do the job.  The HDMI output to the video equipment is 1080p until a 4K video starts playing. At that time, everything in the HDMI chain switches to 2160p as it should. I guess I am just looking for a shortcut that does not switch to 2160p. Ideally, with a keymap I would like to choose whether Kodi outputs 1080p or 2160p for a 4K movie.

setting the display output resolution on your host device to 1080p should do this - kodi shouldnt be changing resolutions to above that automatically

no clue what you are running on though
I am using Windows 10, GTX 1050ti video card, Kodi V19.

The Kodi GUI is 1080p and I have the HDMI output set to 1080p. When a 4K movie starts playing, Kodi in conjunction with Windows switches to 2160p as it should. 

I can use a keymap to a script that changes the resolution.  For example:

xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "method":"Settings.SetSettingValue", "params":{"setting":"videoscreen.resolution","value":158}, "id":1}')

The main problem I have is that the value "158" does not remain fixed.  Initially it forced 1080p 23 fps, but over time the list of video resolutions changes and the value needs to change. Is there a way to specify the resolution and frame rate directly rather than a value such as "158"?
wouldnt it be easier to whitelist all resolutions under 4k (thereby blacklisting 4k as a result)? - https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/D...hitelist_2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi transcode the movies?1