v18 issues with DSF files
Hi,

just a summary of what I've seen till now. I've scanned all my DSF library and

1. in the db it seems there are no "comments", even if I have in tags
2. in the db it seems there are also no MB details, even if the music is properly tagged with Picard

please double check and let me know if this is just my issue, or there is something to be implemented in Kodi?

thanks

Andrea
With DSF format music files the tag reading is done by ffmpeg, and that is limited on what tags it processes compared to TagLib that is used for other file formats. I don't have any DSF files myself, so I have never tested this or looked deeply at it, but I strongly suspect that you are just seeing internal limits not that you have done anything wrong.

To be honest FLAC does everything I need for quality sound, dare I suggest convert to FLAC Tongue

OK, have looked at the ffmpeg code (a separate project from Kodi but also opensource) and https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/blob/mast...at/id3v2.c it does not support "custom" (non standard ID3v2) tags such as the Musicbrainz id ones. It does have a read comment facility (COMM tag) but that isn't called by CMusicInfoTagLoaderFFmpeg::Load, probably something that could be added. I'll have a chat with the guy that did the ffmpeg tag loader DSF stuff when he gets back off holiday (sorry, but I am just not over enthusiastic about support for yet more music file formats).
Dave, DSF is very popular in the world of high resolution/high end audio (for those who don't know it's the native SACD digital format).

Personally I convert everything to PCM (FLAC) at 88.2kHz/24bit but there are many out there that won't use Kodi unless DSF is fully supported (which means tags too). A lot of work has already been done to get playback of DSF into Kodi.

I really think you need to do whatever you can to resolve/improve DSF tagging as there are thousands of existing SACD releases and new releases are still coming on a regular basis.

My 2 cents.

THX
Garry
(2018-02-21, 22:27)HomerJau Wrote: I really think you need to do whatever you can to resolve/improve DSF tagging as there are thousands of existing SACD releases and new releases are still coming on a regular basis.
Garry, your thoughts are welcome of course but I'm not the only guy that could get into this. The code that would need to change is very localised, so it could be a great feature for someone to start Kodi development with. Although it could also involve ffmpeg changes too, but that is also open source.

If someone else wants to step up and do this then I will be supportive. Otherwise I do understand how other devs often respond that Kodi does what it does, and if it doesn't do what you want then use something else. Sorry, I have a cold and I'm feeling jaded.
Thanks Dave for the feedback.

I'm in the last stage of renovating my home so no spare time right now. I may be able to jump in and get my feet wet in about 6 weeks or so. I know you are pretty busy trying to keep Music going. Very much appreciated by all here!

You may have an apprentice soon.
That's great Garry Smile
Feeling a bit sucked under in Kodi quicksand at the moment, no worries I'll get over it.
BTW I was not intentionally targeting you to contribute, the invitation was an open one.
(2018-02-21, 15:51)DaveBlake Wrote: With DSF format music files the tag reading is done by ffmpeg, and that is limited on what tags it processes compared to TagLib that is used for other file formats. I don't have any DSF files myself, so I have never tested this or looked deeply at it, but I strongly suspect that you are just seeing internal limits not that you have done anything wrong.

To be honest FLAC does everything I need for quality sound, dare I suggest convert to FLAC Tongue

OK, have looked at the ffmpeg code (a separate project from Kodi but also opensource) and https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/blob/mast...at/id3v2.c it does not support "custom" (non standard ID3v2) tags such as the Musicbrainz id ones. It does have a read comment facility (COMM tag) but that isn't called by CMusicInfoTagLoaderFFmpeg::Load, probably something that could be added. I'll have a chat with the guy that did the ffmpeg tag loader DSF stuff when he gets back off holiday (sorry, but I am just not over enthusiastic about support for yet more music file formats).

Hi Dave,

Based on latest TabLib github comments DSD tagging is now supported with TagLib (checked in 3 months ago). Is there much work involved in getting latest TagLib version into Kodi (if not already done) and to implement DSF tag reading in Kodi?

THX
Garry
(2019-02-06, 21:59)HomerJau Wrote:
(2018-02-21, 15:51)DaveBlake Wrote: With DSF format music files the tag reading is done by ffmpeg, and that is limited on what tags it processes compared to TagLib that is used for other file formats. I don't have any DSF files myself, so I have never tested this or looked deeply at it, but I strongly suspect that you are just seeing internal limits not that you have done anything wrong.

Hi Dave,

Based on latest TabLib github comments DSD tagging is now supported with TagLib (checked in 3 months ago). Is there much work involved in getting latest TagLib version into Kodi (if not already done) and to implement DSF tag reading in Kodi?

THX
Garry

That might also be a question to @spiff as changes maybe required in the sacd addon as well.

For reference this appears to be the PR that added support to Taglib https://github.com/taglib/taglib/pull/878

However it looks like they haven't actually tagged a new release of taglib since that went in so any update may have to wait until they do.
sacd provide all the metadata that is available. as for tags, those should be supported already through the ffmpeg tag loader. what's missing?
(2019-02-08, 13:53)spiff Wrote: sacd provide all the metadata that is available. as for tags, those should be supported already through the ffmpeg tag loader. what's missing?
 Thanks for following up spiff.

I've just done a test with Leia 18.1 RC (Milhouse LibreElec latest).

The only tag that seems to get ignored (from the ones I'm interested in) is Comments. I used TagScanner to modify DSF tags for a single track in an album. Scanned with Kodi and checked the database. Comment was still empty. Apart from this all is working as expected. This is not a critical issue to me.

THX
(2019-02-08, 13:53)spiff Wrote: sacd provide all the metadata that is available. as for tags, those should be supported already through the ffmpeg tag loader. what's missing?
 @spiff ffmpeg tag reading is not as complete as Taglib. From code comment:

ffmpeg supports the return of ID3v2 metadata but has its own naming system for some, but not all, of the keys. In particular the key for the conductor tag TPE3 is called "performer".   See https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/blob/mast...d3v2.c#L43   Other keys are  returned using their 4 char name.  Only single frame values are returned even for v2.4 fomart tags e.g. while tagged with multiple TPE1 frames "artist1", "artist2", "artist3" only  "artist1" is returned by ffmpeg.   Hence, like with v2.3 format tags, multiple values for artist, genre etc. need to be combined when tagging into a single value using a known item separator e.g. "artist1 / artist2 / artist3".
Hi, just to jump on this thread. Smile
I have just finished archiving my Vinyl as DSF files and added them to my KODI
what I have noticed is that the ReplayGain information is ignored (probably to do with the TAG reading)
also the track length doesn't show in the library list.
definitely due to non-reading of the TAGS,
managed to export the TAGS using mp3tag then created an SQL UPDATE statement with excel and updated the database with the missing details Smile
Basically, its a good thing that SACDs contain album/track related info at all, which helps a player to show that info. On the negative side, that info is wildely inconsistent in its use of tag content and that's why I hate it with a passion. Some tag text is of a descriptive nature rather than using basic categories as one would expect.

When I tried out spiff's SACD ISO decoder in Kodi, the albums and tag info read were all over the place and messed up my carefully maintained tags of the rest of my music collection. Unfortunately, Kodi has no tag editing capabilities (yet), so this seriously triggers my male sorting OCD.
Foobar2000 reports the track lengths correctly. You need to have both SACD and Wavpack plugins installed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
issues with DSF files0