• 4(current)
v18 QUARTZ - Leia
(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Hey Nonjon, great to see a separate TV menu! Silly question though, could it be to the right of TV shows?
Not a chance my friend. Live tv is second only to movies in terms of the content I consume so this layout means fewer keystrokes for moi. Wink

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Since this is "let's see if it works" stuff, I will assume that skin options for shelf and menu will be done at a later time.
A work-in-progress that's coming along nicely.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: What are the number on the TV logos? Mine are channel numbers, but in your screenshot, you have 1.1, where I only have a number without dot.
We have sub-channel numbers stateside - a means of cramming more content into spectrum licensed to a particular broadcaster.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Would it be hard to put the channel name there instead?
Issues abound as I continue experimenting with guide data providers. Some give me a proper channel name (PBS Kids HD) others a station ID (KERADT2); the latter just as unhelpful as a number, imo. We also have some crazy long network names - "The Son Life Broadcasting Network", for example. For now it's channel numbers but that could change.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: I like the "liveTV" image for channels without channel logo.
That would not reflect what you watched but what is currently airing. Maybe that's a good thing. Not sure yet. In the future there might be an option to populate with recently recorded content. For now, though, I'm just trying to nail the layout and functionality.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Lastly, I tend to switch off all fan art (against doctor's advice) Wink so I haven't been playing with it much. I switched it on for a while though and noticed that you can see it fine if you select something in the shelf, but not if you have a home screen background selected. I feel that the home screen background is there to have the background not be black if there is no fanart to display, so I was surprised to see the background stay the same after selecting a shelf item. Is that intentional? Again, this is not a feature I really use, just something I'm wondering about.
Agreed. Fanart should override the static BG image. Already on the todo list.
(2018-06-24, 17:41)nonJon Wrote: Curious if you've tried NextPVR and have an opinion on it vs Tvheadend? I have the former up and running so I'm finally able to test PVR functionality. Surprising how well it works but improvements are needed.
Well... I don't have any windows machines, so NextPVR was out. I had a Raspberry Pi lying around and got some usb DVB-C devices when it turned out my cable company did not turn off the signal. (I had never bothered to check before) So it was just a project to see if it could work. TVheadend seemed the most open/easy/well supported project for linux, so I tried that. Mind you, I did not get it to work on my old Intel NUC that I was also considering for the project (a newer linux for that), but it worked fine on the Pi.

It completely scratches my itch, it can record, it gets the EPG from the channels. The only thing that's missing is that it didn't have the channel icons, but I added those in Kodi (I suppose it's better to do it at the source though, so both Kodi devices get it with only one time the work) and that works fine.

The only problem I've had this far is that for some reason the 64bit version of Android does not refresh the EPG info from TVheadend. The 32bit version does fine. The MacOS version does fine, but not the 64bit Android version. So every day or so, I need to clear the cache or update my nightly. I posted the issue, I'm hoping it gets resolved.
(2018-06-24, 17:41)nonJon Wrote: Post some screen caps of the missing image issue because I have no idea what you're talking about.
also just got around to that. Here's a screenshot from AndroidTV showing a suggestion for Rosewater from Kodi. Then the screen you get sent to when you select it.

(2018-06-24, 17:41)nonJon Wrote: Voice assistants are the Devil's spawn, BTW.
I know... I am properly paranoid, generally. I do like Alexa though. Also great for my children. It's a mixed blessing, let's say. Smile
(2018-06-24, 17:41)nonJon Wrote: Been dogfooding Leia for a couple weeks now. Insomnia also helps when it comes to finding the time. Wink
I've luckily only had insomnia during one stressful period. I do remember loving the amount of shit I got done. That's all in the past now though. I have two young children and I am wondering where all my time went. Especially when my wife is away for a few days, I get next to nothing done. But hey, just a few more years Wink
(2018-07-03, 14:21)nonJon Wrote:
(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Hey Nonjon, great to see a separate TV menu! Silly question though, could it be to the right of TV shows?
Not a chance my friend. Live tv is second only to movies in terms of the content I consume so this layout means fewer keystrokes for moi.
Wink
Can't argue with that, I suppose. Well.. I can, but it's not going to help. Smile

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: Since this is "let's see if it works" stuff, I will assume that skin options for shelf and menu will be done at a later time.
A work-in-progress that's coming along nicely.
Can't wait. Loving what you're doing so far. I think we should request Quartz to be reinstated as an active skin even.. (as Quartz CE maybe?)
Have you any thoughts on repositories?
(2018-07-03, 14:21)nonJon Wrote: Some give me a proper channel name (PBS Kids HD) others a station ID (KERADT2); the latter just as unhelpful as a number, imo. We also have some crazy long network names - "The Son Life Broadcasting Network", for example. For now it's channel numbers but that could change.
KERADT2 is better than 28.2, imo. Because at least some of the other stations would make sense. As to "The Son Life Broadcasting Network", you can edit the title in the channel manager. Sure it's some work, but it's one time work. I edited some station names as well. Or you can go the group manager and make a limited list of channels omitting that one.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: I like the "liveTV" image for channels without channel logo.
That would not reflect what you watched but what is currently airing.
I just meant the image with the "Live TV" text in it. That image is context dependent?

And just to add something off topic, if you are looking to add images into shelf content, I think the better place to focus is TV show content. Sometimes, if you add a new show, it's a bit offputting to see the same image 5 times. There are some good ideas for other examples. I think SIO2 has the episode thumb with the show banner under it as an option. Did not look bad.
(2018-07-03, 17:02)mediumdry Wrote: As to "The Son Life Broadcasting Network", you can edit the title in the channel manager. Sure it's some work, but it's one time work.
Not in my neck of the woods it isn't. Small fry broadcasters change station formats seemingly with the seasons. I'm not kidding about this. Perhaps it would be just as reasonable for you to seek out some legible station icons making the redundant station name unnecessary. Wink Seriously, though, it's early days in this implementation and anything is subject to change.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: I just meant the image with the "Live TV" text in it. That image is context dependent?
Example image please.

(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: And just to add something off topic, if you are looking to add images into shelf content, I think the better place to focus is TV show content. Sometimes, if you add a new show, it's a bit offputting to see the same image 5 times. There are some good ideas for other examples.

It's always going to be something with you, isn't it? Big Grin Okay, point taken but a subject for another time.
(2018-07-02, 11:50)nonJon Wrote: Early access code for the new PVR features is available here.

The balance of the code changes are available now. This includes the ability to fully customize the new home menu entry.

Thanks for testing and, as always, please to enjoy! Smile

Edit: PVR enhancements have been merged with the master. Use link in the OP to download.
(2018-07-03, 11:32)mediumdry Wrote: And just to add something off topic, if you are looking to add images into shelf content, I think the better place to focus is TV show content. Sometimes, if you add a new show, it's a bit offputting to see the same image 5 times. There are some good ideas for other examples.

How's this?
(2018-07-05, 09:21)nonJon Wrote:

How's this?
 It's great, but it shows the issue. You immediately go from 7 images down to 4. There is, for instance, this option:

Which will get you 5. I think 5 or 6 would be perfect, as opposed to 4. What do you think?

Maybe it is possible to have the image of the episode, then under it the episode number (i.e. S19 - E05) and under that the show banner. Not entirely sure it would look good (I guess this really depends on the size of the TV screen), but it would make the resulting graphics a bit more portraity (for lack of a better word). And when selected, the same as in the normal skin, the name of the episode would show under it with the white selection line around the image/episode nr/banner triplet. For it to really look good, people will have to curate their banner images, but then that is pretty much true already.
I think I know what's bugging me about the "TV" menu item. I tried adding more text, but I think it is because there seems to be an asymmetry. The space between Movies and TV (or Live TV in my example) and the space between TV and TV Shows seems to be off by a little. Maybe I should check my eyes, but the spacing seems a bit off.

Is this just me or do others agree?
(2018-07-04, 21:12)nonJon Wrote:
(2018-07-02, 11:50)nonJon Wrote: Early access code for the new PVR features is available here.

The balance of the code changes are available now. This includes the ability to fully customize the new home menu entry.

Thanks for testing and, as always, please to enjoy! Smile 
Great, thanks! Favourite 7 doesn't seem to work though, in the Home Menu editor for the TV section.
(2018-07-06, 10:37)mediumdry Wrote: I think I know what's bugging me about the "TV" menu item. I tried adding more text, but I think it is because there seems to be an asymmetry. The space between Movies and TV (or Live TV in my example) and the space between TV and TV Shows seems to be off by a little. Maybe I should check my eyes, but the spacing seems a bit off.

Is this just me or do others agree?

Your eyes are playing tricks on you.

(2018-07-06, 10:08)mediumdry Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 09:21)nonJon Wrote:

How's this?
 It's great, but it shows the issue. You immediately go from 7 images down to 4. There is, for instance, this option:

Which will get you 5. I think 5 or 6 would be perfect, as opposed to 4. What do you think?

Maybe it is possible to have the image of the episode, then under it the episode number (i.e. S19 - E05) and under that the show banner. Not entirely sure it would look good (I guess this really depends on the size of the TV screen), but it would make the resulting graphics a bit more portraity (for lack of a better word). And when selected, the same as in the normal skin, the name of the episode would show under it with the white selection line around the image/episode nr/banner triplet. For it to really look good, people will have to curate their banner images, but then that is pretty much true already.

The thumbnails in my example image exhibit the correct aspect ratio for the chosen height. A height, it just so happens, that matches all other shelf objects in the skin. Furthermore, the donor code came from Quartz 4. A perfect match.

I dig it. Not changing it. Posters will still be available via a toggle switch if it bugs you that much.
(2018-07-06, 11:53)nonJon Wrote: Your eyes are playing tricks on you.
So it seems indeed. Weird. I'll have to check my carpenter's eye. Nerd
(2018-07-06, 12:03)nonJon Wrote: The thumbnails in my example image exhibit the correct aspect ratio for the chosen height. A height, it just so happens, that matches all other shelf objects in the skin. Furthermore, the donor code came from Quartz 4. A perfect match.

I dig it. Not changing it. Posters will still be available via a toggle switch if it bugs you that much. 

The thumbnails indeed have the correct aspect ratio. But you could have the episode number bar under the thumbnail instead of over it. And if you add the banner image under that, then, keeping the correct aspect ratio, the combined display will be narrower. (or higher, but that would be bad, imo) The thumbnail part will simply be smaller. This is why I mentioned that it could depend on the TV screen size, as smaller screens might make the thumbnail quite small with the added height of the other parts.

This has been a topic that has been discussed at length before (not just between pecinko and me Wink ), which is why you could find the code in an older version of Quartz. There were other options before, including using a separate plugin/script and menu options to chose from in the skin settings.

Having a toggle between series poster and episode thumbnail (like the toggle for the music playlist) would be great.
(2018-07-06, 10:38)mediumdry Wrote: Great, thanks! Favourite 7 doesn't seem to work though, in the Home Menu editor for the TV section.

Fixed, along with a couple other issues.

PVR enhancements have been merged with the master branch. Use link in the OP to download.
(2018-07-03, 16:47)mediumdry Wrote: also just got around to that. Here's a screenshot from AndroidTV showing a suggestion for Rosewater from Kodi. Then the screen you get sent to when you select it.

The skin window in the second image is DialogVideoInfo.xml. Two ways to get there within kodi, 1) from the context menu or keyboard shortcut 'i' while browsing movies/tv shows or, 2) selecting a tv show or movie when Settings>Media>Videos>Default select action = Show information. In any case, the quartz implementation of that window is not coded to display foreground imagery. You will/should see fanart in the background if enabled, however. See the 4th image in the slideshow of the OP for an example of what I'm talking about.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QUARTZ - Leia4