• 32(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-06-07, 13:22)noggin Wrote: Though that's not playing within Kodi is it, Kodi is firing up an external player (a bit like many people do within Windows)? If my German is correct, Kodi is using Google's Android TV Video Player rather than the built-in Kodi player?

Kodi using mediacodec.
other player using "android video player" like mx player and nova player.

DV work with ExoPlayer .
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-06-09, 15:30)djnice Wrote: I think, DV will work with Kodi 19 alpha, like on Shield.

You know something we don't?
(2020-06-09, 18:49)Hitcher Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 15:30)djnice Wrote: I think, DV will work with Kodi 19 alpha, like on Shield.

I'm using my Shield TV Pro for DV Profile 5 files with Kodi 19 and playing fine.
Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 Dolby Vision playback test with Kodi 19 alpha (20200612):

mp4 files:
Profile 4 BL+EL+RPU Single Track Double Layer: HDR
Profile 5 BL+RPU Single Track Single Layer: Dolby Vision
Profile 7 BL+EL+RPU Single Track Double Layer: HDR
Profile 7 Doube Track Double Layer: HDR

ts files:
All files played back as HDR
I haven't kept up, last I heard it was single or dual layer. Now we have profiles?
(2020-06-13, 13:58)lightsout Wrote: I haven't kept up, last I heard it was single or dual layer. Now we have profiles?

Dolby Vision Profiles and Levels PDF (click)

All Paid for Subscription video streaming services (eg. Netflix) use DV Profile 5

(2020-06-13, 16:34)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-13, 13:58)lightsout Wrote: I haven't kept up, last I heard it was single or dual layer. Now we have profiles?

All Paid for Subscription video streaming services (eg. Netflix) use Low Latency DolbyVision (LLDV) Profile 5

Is the Low Latency a function of the Dolby Vision Profile?  I thought LLDV vs Tunnelled metadata was a separate issue, and to do with the video output stage of a player (i.e. how it handled sending Dolby Vision Metadata) once the video had been decoded rather than the codec profile?

UHD Blu-rays that have DolbyVision encodes on them can be played back on players that use LLDV or players that use 'in-video' tunnelling for their metadata - the route the metadata takes isn't a function of the Dolby Vision profile it is mastered in?  Isn't it just that the tunnelling players need the more complex DV-friendly hardware to insert the tunnelled metadata, whereas those that use LLDV can decode the metadata and pass it via standardised HDMI metadata routes (now that there is a standard). I didn't think that the LLDV vs Tunnelling route had anything to do with Profiles used - or am I missing something?
(2020-06-13, 16:40)noggin Wrote:

All Paid for Subscription video streaming services (eg. Netflix) use Low Latency DolbyVision (LLDV) Profile 5

Is the Low Latency a function of the Profile?  I thought LLDV vs Tunnelled metadata was a separate issue, and to do with the video output stage of a player (i.e. how it handled sending Dolby Vision Metadata) once the video had been decoded rather than the codec profile?

Yes you are correct I just was editing that bit out above while you posted.

All Paid for Subscription video streaming services (eg. Netflix) use DV Profile 5

Interesting read thank you sir.
(2020-06-09, 20:13)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 18:49)Hitcher Wrote:

I'm using my Shield TV Pro for DV Profile 5 files with Kodi 19 and playing fine. 
Hi. If I ripped my movies in full and stored inside my HTPC. 
So does it mean for Kodi19 to play movies with DV, I just need to apply DV profile 5 files? 
Where do I do this inside Kodi 19?
Thanks.
(2020-05-17, 11:23)noggin Wrote: An update to the Intel situation.  I've got a Chuwi Herobox N4100 Gemini Lake based fanless small form factor PC (it comes with Windows 10 installed).  This has 8GB RAM (Dual channel config I believe), 180GB Intel SSD, WiFi, Bluetooth, 2 x USB 3.0 Type A, 2 x USB 2.0 Type-A and a USB Type C (assume USB 3.0 but not checked) and a uSD card slot. It has an empty 2.5" HDD/SSD bay for additional internal storage. Importantly it has an HDMI 2.0 output (as well as a VGA).  I have a feeling the HDMI 2.0 is native from the Gemini Lake, not using an LSPCon.   It's £179 on Amazon UK at the moment - which doesn't seem a bad price.  However Chuwi have a slightly patchy reputation in support terms.

Installing a development build of LibreElec (booting from a USB stick in live mode, after disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS - hit ESC to enter the BIOS), which includes the Intel HDR patches to flag HDR info frames on HDMI etc. it is playing 2160p24 HEVC HDR content and correctly flagging an HDR10 EOTF over HDMI (i.e. playing HDR10 content correctly triggers the TV into HDR10 mode).  

I've not had a chance to check whether it's RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 (the latter is apparently unlikely) - nor whether it's 8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit. Nor have I had any time to check the Rec 2020/Rec 709 switching. (My HD Fury Vertex is in storage...). I believe 2160p50-60 support is still a WIP - will try that later.

However this is good news for Intel HDR support - though it's still a minefield because of LSPCon (where a Displayport output from a CPU is converted to HDMI, rather than the native HDMI output used). NUCs in particular often use LSPCons.  AIUI LSPCon HDR support is still not there. (Native HDMI 2.0 - where supported in hardware - is better?)
Hi just checking if you are using Kodi19 with HDfury? 
Cos I’m thinking if combining both will have HDR & DV to our displays.
(2020-06-29, 04:23)Waterbottle23 Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 20:13)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 18:49)Hitcher Wrote: You know something we don't? 

So does it mean for Kodi19 to play movies with DV, I just need to apply DV profile 5 files? 
Thanks.

Yes, you need to demux the dual layer track to BL and EL with eac3to or tsmuxer and remux with Yusesope's python script to a single layer hevc file. You can use this file with dolby's mp4muxer tool.
(2020-06-30, 08:10)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-29, 04:23)Waterbottle23 Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 20:13)djnice Wrote: I'm using my Shield TV Pro for DV Profile 5 files with Kodi 19 and playing fine. 
Thanks. 

Yes, you need to demux the dual layer track to BL and EL with eac3to or tsmuxer and remux with Yusesope's python script to a single layer hevc file. You can use this file with dolby's mp4muxer tool. 
Damn.... So all my movies need to do this.
I’ll pass on DV..... 
Thanks.
(2020-06-30, 08:51)Waterbottle23 Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 08:10)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-29, 04:23)Waterbottle23 Wrote: Hi. If I ripped my movies in full and stored inside my HTPC. 
Thanks. 

I’ll pass on DV..... 
Thanks.

Yep !
Only for the Ultra Hardcore DV Bluray Rip - Nerds / lovers Love

I will stick with regular HDR10 and Premium 4K HDR TV Picture Processing & Dynamic Tone Mapping - thank you to avoid all that stuffing around.

(2020-06-30, 11:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 08:51)Waterbottle23 Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 08:10)djnice Wrote: Yes, you need to demux the dual layer track to BL and EL with eac3to or tsmuxer and remux with Yusesope's python script to a single layer hevc file. You can use this file with dolby's mp4muxer tool. 
I’ll pass on DV..... 
Thanks.

Yep !
Only for the Ultra Hardcore DV Bluray Rip - Nerds / lovers Love

I will stick with regular HDR10 and Premium 4K HDR TV Picture Processing & Dynamic Tone Mapping - thank you to avoid all that stuffing around.
Well I found out from Nvidia customer service that no nvidia GPU support DV.
Seems like shield tv & Oppo player support them.
I like Kodi interface, so I'm too, will just stick to HDR and 4k.

Actually, i Contacted HDfury helpdesk thru discord and gave them my AVR model and projector model. 
They are able to verify for you if your hardware can support DV.
The only problem is the source which is the HTPC, which is using nvidia. 
I read that need to pay royalties to dolby if using DV.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209