4K video playback - Kodi 17 vs 18 - Extreme difference (Some good, some bad) - Why?
(2018-07-07, 07:36)fritsch Wrote: First don't use dsplayer but kodi's internal player. Play the file and manually tune the tone map parameter in the video osd, please.
 When you say not to use DSPlayer, do you mean I should use Kodi 17.6 or Kodi 18?

Since Kodi 17.6 doesn't support HDR from what I understand, and in Kodi 18 I already tried tuning the tone map parameter.
In "The Matrix" it doesn't help since the problem isn't just that it's dark. The colors are completely messed up. For example the colors of the light from the flashlight look blue and pixelated.
I meant v18. Could you provide a short sample of the Matrix file? E.g. use dd to cut out 50 MB of it?

Edit: Oh and btw. retry with the latest nightly. We fixed some BT2020 conversion there.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-07-07, 13:43)fritsch Wrote: I meant v18. Could you provide a short sample of the Matrix file? E.g. use dd to cut out 50 MB of it?

Edit: Oh and btw. retry with the latest nightly. We fixed some BT2020 conversion there.
 Sure I will provide, I'm just not sure what dd means? Smile
I will also try the nightly build and report back! Thanks!
(2018-07-06, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote: Your GTX 1050 does not have enough RAM to decode HDR at only 2GB whereas a GTX 1050Ti has ample RAM with 4GB.
 I have a 1030 with 2GB of RAM plays everything I throw at it. I don't apply any post processing. LAV Video Decoder is set to use D3D11 instead of DXVA2 Copy-Back and CPU/GPU buffers lowered from MadVR default config.
(2018-07-07, 13:35)Nom1fan Wrote:
(2018-07-07, 07:36)fritsch Wrote: First don't use dsplayer but kodi's internal player. Play the file and manually tune the tone map parameter in the video osd, please.
 When you say not to use DSPlayer, do you mean I should use Kodi 17.6 or Kodi 18?

Since Kodi 17.6 doesn't support HDR from what I understand, and in Kodi 18 I already tried tuning the tone map parameter.
In "The Matrix" it doesn't help since the problem isn't just that it's dark. The colors are completely messed up. For example the colors of the light from the flashlight look blue and pixelated. 
Can you also confirm that your render method in Kodi's Player setting is set to Pixel Shader and not auto or dxva
(2018-07-07, 17:44)drpizznock Wrote:
(2018-07-06, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote: Your GTX 1050 does not have enough RAM to decode HDR at only 2GB whereas a GTX 1050Ti has ample RAM with 4GB.
 I have a 1030 with 2GB of RAM plays everything I throw at it. I don't apply any post processing. LAV Video Decoder is set to use D3D11 instead of DXVA2 Copy-Back and CPU/GPU buffers lowered from MadVR default config. 
Great.  Please provide feedback on test files #11 and #15 from the '4k Ultra HD' section https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

Interested if HDR switches on and off automatically and that both video samples play smooth with no judder or any other abnormalities.  This using the GPU and not CPU while testing with any of the madVR compatible players such as MPC-HC via KODI (external launch) and/or Windows Explorer.

Then again via KODI v.18 VideoPlayer if possible.

TIA.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Kodi's player won't trigger the HDR switch. We do tonemapping. So use your eyes and not your "I see a HDR icon" ... that really reminds me of: When the passthrough LED on my AVR is green it sounds much better discussions ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-07-07, 18:26)brazen1 Wrote: Great.  Please provide feedback on test files #11 and #15 from the '4k Ultra HD' section Samples (wiki)

Interested if HDR switches on and off automatically and that both video samples play smooth with no judder or any other abnormalities.  This using the GPU and not CPU while testing with any of the madVR compatible players such as MPC-HC via KODI (external launch) and/or Windows Explorer.

Then again via KODI v.18 VideoPlayer if possible.

#11 doesn't seem to be there. 

#13 plays fine without stutter using Kodi DSP + MadVR and with Kodi 18 from KodiSetup-20180704-50141600-master-x64.exe with DXVA2 enabled.
Here is the direct link to #11 you couldn't find  http://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

Also, I'm not too concerned about the #13 video you reported on.  More interested in #15 as requested and I checked the d/l link is working fine.

I'm sorry.  I feel like I'm hijacking this thread but also that we are 'killing two birds with one stone' so to speak.  It's hard to gain feedback from testers at times and appreciate your help.

With that said, not only are we confirming whether or not a GTX 1030 is up to standard (other testers have said it works but with uncontrollable judder and now awaiting your expereince), but KODI v.18 using your CPU for HDR rendering also.  With DXVA2 enabled, you are only testing the GTX.  We need you to test per Fritsch instructions exactly.  Thank you again in advance for contributing your results.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-07-07, 21:43)brazen1 Wrote: With that said, not only are we confirming whether or not a GTX 1030 is up to standard (other testers have said it works but with uncontrollable judder and now awaiting your expereince), but KODI v.18 using your CPU for HDR rendering also.  With DXVA2 enabled, you are only testing the GTX.  We need you to test per Fritsch instructions exactly.  Thank you again in advance for contributing your results.
#11 and #15 play fine with Kodi DSP + MadVR. This 1030 sits in an old Gateway 2850 with an i3 540 it won't play these files, no point in trying Kodi 18 without DXVA2
Quote:Can you also confirm that your render method in Kodi's Player setting is set to Pixel Shader and not auto or dxva

It was set on Auto :X 
I never noticed this configuration as it was not mentioned in any guide I've read.
Care to explain what it means? I would really appreciate it !

Hope I have time tonight to test everything. Still don't know what dd is in order to provide a sample of "The Matrix" movie file.

Thanks.
It is my understanding that pixel shader is what allows tone mapping to do its thing in Kodi 18
(2018-07-07, 17:44)drpizznock Wrote:
Changing to D3D11 instead of DXVA2 Copy-Back allowed DSPlayer + madVR to play "The Terminator II" file much better but still not as smoothly as Kodi 18 or official Kodi 17.6, still ran into too much stuttering.
(2018-07-07, 17:53)drpizznock Wrote: Can you also confirm that your render method in Kodi's Player setting is set to Pixel Shader and not auto or dxva 
 This changed a lot ! Now in Kodi 18 preAlpha2 with Pixel Shaders instead of Auto, I get very nice colors on "The Matrix".
Although, "The Terminator II" now looks better than on Kodi 17.6, it still looked much more vivid with Render method set to Auto, but you can be the judge. Please compare the following screenshots with the ones from my first post:

The Terminator II - Kodi 18 - Pixel Shaders
The Matrix - Kodi 18 - Pixel Shaders
(2018-07-08, 22:11)Nom1fan Wrote:
(2018-07-07, 17:53)drpizznock Wrote: Can you also confirm that your render method in Kodi's Player setting is set to Pixel Shader and not auto or dxva 
 This changed a lot ! Now in Kodi 18 preAlpha2 with Pixel Shaders instead of Auto, I get very nice colors on "The Matrix".
Although, "The Terminator II" now looks better than on Kodi 17.6, it still looked much more vivid with Render method set to Auto, but you can be the judge. Please compare the following screenshots with the ones from my first post:

The Terminator II - Kodi 18 - Pixel Shaders

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't ever remember these scenes being particularly vivid, are you sure that is not a correct representation? and the more vivid one is not overblowing the colours like a vivid mode on a TV should never ever be used as it will give you incorrect colours.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K video playback - Kodi 17 vs 18 - Extreme difference (Some good, some bad) - Why?1