Kodi Leia v18 SFTP and NFS addon auto-enable, when media source exist during upgrade
Going from Kodi v17 to v18 the SFTP and NFS support has been removed from the core and put into separate addons.
These addons are not enabled by default and are also not automatically enabled when sources require them. This lead to my test install not playing anything anymore, because I use SFTP primarily and I didn't know I had to enable the addon manually.

I'd like to request functionality that sets these addons to enabled when needed. Especially when v17 is using SFTP sources and the user updates to v18, but it would also be nice to have the addon enable automatically when a user adds a SFTP/NFS source in v18 and later.
I would like to strongly support this request. Just had my Kodi installation update automatically from 17 to 18, and it was an unpleasant surprise to notice you broke things for your users. The error message is very vague, and provides no clues on what actually happened. It just says "Couldn't connect", nothing more. In the very least you should point your users to installing the add-on if installing it automatically is not a good idea.
Had exactly the same problem, Kodi got updated from 17 to 18 and no more ssh/sftp. So i found this thread and was happy to hear that a addon would restore this functionality. So i installed the plugin, it shows up in the browser, i typed in server name directory user password and unfortunately i can not get into my ssh server at all with Kodi18. So i manualy reinstalled 17.6 again and did exactly the same and 17.6 logs into my ssh server just fine... ssh/sftp is the only protocol i use... Why was this removed?
The same here: my old SFTP connections (set up under Kodi 17) still work but I can't create new ones under Kodi 18.
SSH/SFTP not working here as-well Sad
Please don‘t spam us with [[debug log] ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2019-01-30, 16:37)syntherklaas Wrote: ssh/sftp is the only protocol i use... Why was this removed?
Not everyone uses sftp.
Not everyone uses rar files.
Not everyone uses ...

Unloading Kodi makes it leaner and more flexible.
With separate add-ons, problems can be fixed easier than when functionality is buried into the application itself.

(2019-01-30, 19:58)CQQLAV Wrote: SSH/SFTP not working here as-well
"not working" is not a good-enough bug description.

Start with providing your debug log (wiki)
(2019-01-31, 08:23)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 16:37)syntherklaas Wrote: ssh/sftp is the only protocol i use... Why was this removed?
Not everyone uses sftp.
Not everyone uses rar files.
Not everyone uses ...

Unloading Kodi makes it leaner and more flexible.
With separate add-ons, problems can be fixed easier than when functionality is buried into the application itself.
(2019-01-30, 19:58)CQQLAV Wrote: SSH/SFTP not working here as-well
"not working" is not a good-enough bug description.

Start with providing your debug log (wiki) 
Sorry about that... wrong button... I wanted to quote:

"Not everyone uses sftp."

I had Kodi in stalled tru the windows store. It automatically updated and removed ssh/sftp support. So i wanted to play some music and it was all gone. After reading on the this forum i found out that i had to install the addon. The addon does not work for me on Windows10 with latest Kodi 18.0 64 bit... It refuses to connect...

The only reason i use Kodi is because i can connect to my music server over the internet tru ssh... It suprices me that not everybody else is doing that... I don't see any other protocol that could do this...

I'm back to kodi 17.6 until it get resolved...
To fix a security vulnerability the way SSL is handled has been changed, so this maybe the reason you can't access your server over SFTP, have a read of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918
(2019-01-31, 16:33)jjd-uk Wrote: To fix a security vulnerability the way SSL is handled has been changed, so this maybe the reason you can't access your server over SFTP, have a read of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918
 Thats about FTPS, i'm using (the by far superior part of ssh) SFTP...
(2019-01-31, 16:44)syntherklaas Wrote:
(2019-01-31, 16:33)jjd-uk Wrote: To fix a security vulnerability the way SSL is handled has been changed, so this maybe the reason you can't access your server over SFTP, have a read of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918
SSH is the worst protocol for media streaming. It simply wasn't designed to do that.
(2019-01-31, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote:
SSH is the worst protocol for media streaming. It simply wasn't designed to do that. 
Ok, so what do you sugest to secure stream media over the internet?
(2019-01-31, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote:
Actually, SFTP worked / works fabulous at least for me streaming from my bedroom server that's running Cloudron (www.cloudron.io) and thus doesn't have any other way of connecting...
Arrogant post.

ENOUGH people do use SFTP, or we'd not have people complaining.

If you want logs, tell us how - we're not all developers I wouldn't even have a clue on how to do it from a Fire TV stick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Leia v18 SFTP and NFS addon auto-enable, when media source exist during upgrade2