Kodi Leia v18 SFTP and NFS addon auto-enable, when media source exist during upgrade
(2019-01-31, 08:23)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 16:37)syntherklaas Wrote: ssh/sftp is the only protocol i use... Why was this removed?
Not everyone uses sftp.
Not everyone uses rar files.
Not everyone uses ...

Unloading Kodi makes it leaner and more flexible.
With separate add-ons, problems can be fixed easier than when functionality is buried into the application itself.
(2019-01-30, 19:58)CQQLAV Wrote: SSH/SFTP not working here as-well
"not working" is not a good-enough bug description.

Start with providing your debug log (wiki) 
 My post was in reply to this...

How do you edit posts on this dumb forum?
(2019-01-31, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote:
(2019-01-31, 16:44)syntherklaas Wrote:
(2019-01-31, 16:33)jjd-uk Wrote: To fix a security vulnerability the way SSL is handled has been changed, so this maybe the reason you can't access your server over SFTP, have a read of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918
 Thats about FTPS, i'm using (the by far superior part of ssh) SFTP...  
SSH is the worst protocol for media streaming. It simply wasn't designed to do that. 

The fact of the matter is people DO use SFTP, it works FAR better for me than Samba or any other protocol I've tried.  I just enable it on my Pi server and it just works.

I've spent three days messing around with this, and the plugin simply complains "Couldn't connect to network server".

What are we supposed to do?
(2019-02-02, 11:22)DarthGecko Wrote: How do you edit posts on this dumb forum?
It's an anti-spam measure. You'll be able to edit posts soon.

(2019-02-02, 11:33)DarthGecko Wrote: What are we supposed to do?
Samba/SMBv2 has disabled network browsing (you can thank Microsoft for that).
Try "Add a network location...", select your protocol and fill in all credentials.
Same here. I run a Cloudron (www.cloudron.io) based home server (build on Docker containers) and SFTP is (was?) a fast no-fuzz protocol to access my media folder under Kodi.
Hello, it is insane that secure shell has been removed from version 18. It is by far the most efficient way to access all the data bases that contain artwork titles and subtitles descriptions and so on. It is also much faster when accessing across the cloud then DNLA. It’s also wrong to say people don’t use it because most people do use SSH. Upnp is clumsy and slow and unreliable . I have tested multiple protocols over the years and SSH is by far the fastest long as it is enabled on the cloud. I think you guys are doing an incredibly wonderful job but you shouldn’t arbitrarily remove things there was no reason why you couldn’t have left it in the core unless you know something you’re not telling us.
Maybe you shouldn't start ranting before reading.
Its been explained several times in multiple places and have valid and good reasons
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-02-02, 11:49)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-02-02, 11:22)DarthGecko Wrote: How do you edit posts on this dumb forum?
It's an anti-spam measure. You'll be able to edit posts soon.
(2019-02-02, 11:33)DarthGecko Wrote: What are we supposed to do?
Samba/SMBv2 has disabled network browsing (you can thank Microsoft for that).
Try "Add a network location...", select your protocol and fill in all credentials. 
I've now tried Samba and NFS.  They are simply NOT an option for me with Kodi 18 on a Fire TV.  I've done checks, going back and forth between Krypton and Leia and the new version is painfully slow, every click in the UI takes upto several seconds to be registered.  Streaming media from my Pi server to Kodi 18 is intolerable via Samba and NFS, the videos intermittently judder to a complete stop then speed up to catch up again, or it freezes completely with a circular thing on screen counting a percentage that never reaches 100% and it crashes.  The protocols aren't that much better on Krypton either, so SMB and NFS are ruled out as viable and the Leia SSH plugin simply does not work as I said before.

I'm not a Kodi developer, I have limited time to devote to this and I've spent days on it.  I've had to go back to Krypton and back to SFTP, it works better than anything else I've tried, and I -really- have tried.
(2019-02-03, 00:26)Martijn Wrote: Maybe you shouldn't start ranting before reading.
Its been explained several times in multiple places and have valid and good reasons
 Perhaps you should try to understand that most of us are just users of a piece of software, that for us has worked without too much of a headache.  We're not in 'Team Kodi' or some other dev clique, we don't spend hours trawling through obscure forums or are familiar with what devs are planning.  I've used Kodi for years and have never been on this site or had a need to, for 99.9% of users this is just software (and we ARE grateful for it) to do a job and when it stops working, we're not going to know those 'good reasons' or that it's been 'explained several times in multiple places'.  What's worse is we're being told to use addons or protocols which are either not working or not working well, for us.
Using OSX as the media server, SFTP was the only protocol that worked effortlessly with Kodi.

OSX's SMB implementation is awful and broken (and would often crash).

Trying to use Zeroconf, nothing happens when the server is selected.

SFTP always "just worked" and now it is gone without a good alternative.
I have a ubuntu server with my media in my house. I have a SSH port open to the internet. I have a nice cottage i go to in the weekends where i listen to the music on my server over the internet. This can be done totally safe over SSH. This should never be done with something like Samba because it is totally unsafe...
(2019-01-31, 17:22)wsnipex Wrote:
(2019-01-31, 16:44)syntherklaas Wrote:
(2019-01-31, 16:33)jjd-uk Wrote: To fix a security vulnerability the way SSL is handled has been changed, so this maybe the reason you can't access your server over SFTP, have a read of https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331918
 Thats about FTPS, i'm using (the by far superior part of ssh) SFTP...  
SSH is the worst protocol for media streaming. It simply wasn't designed to do that. 
 And so what ? Because it's not your favorite protocol ? 

I totally agree, force update from 17.0 to 18.0 why ? all my services run under ssh connection are down... 

So, what is the solution ?
advice Wink --> https://alternativeto.net/software/xbmc-media-center/
Hello all, 

Same issue after updated Kodi SSH/SFTP not working here as-well on Androix MiBox. No Issue on Win10 with same version Kodi/add-on.

Someone here can provide assistance for noobs ? Big Grin

Cheers,
Trigger
Problem solved !!! \o/

Seems a trouble with keys,

Android Solution: So download and install an SSH client and establish an SSH connection to your server. 

After that Relaunch Kodi and now you can access to the distant server and watch your favorite TV show Smile

Tested with:
- Pococphone F1 - Android 9.0.0
- Kodi - 18.0 Git:20190128-d81c34c

Good Luck !
Cheers,
Trigger
too fast... Doesn't work anymore Sad Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Leia v18 SFTP and NFS addon auto-enable, when media source exist during upgrade2