• 7(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-11-14, 11:40)noggin Wrote: Pretty certain that TVHZ (which offers 2 x 24p settings - one for 23.976?) and nVIdia system settings both let you switch the output to 24/23.976p? I've not noticed that on Netflix or Amazon Prime TV on my Shield TV. When I select 23.976p output that's what I get in Amazon Prime last time I checked (though I use my Apple TV 4K for most UHD Netflix/Amazon viewing as I prefer the UI)

Are you saying Amazon Prime video switches it back to 60.00Hz? Or are you just pointing out that the Shield TV doesn't auto-switch?   AIUI the Amazon Fire TV needs apps to drive refresh-rate switching (rather than auto switching at the OS level) but it will do it if apps are written accordingly. 
Aware of TVHz; I've used it on Shield, but it's an inconvenience to switch to/from. I don't have FTV 4K Stick yet, but w/my 4K Pendant, yes, Prime switches to 23.976 for movies/TV shows like 'Jack Ryan', 'Bosch', etc., and switches back to 60Hz when back out to the UI.
Even more testing tonight with copies of planet earth 2 and blue planet.... rather than buffering the picture is really juddedy....

Suddenly I like my old fire stick with basic 1080p content.

Sigh Sad
(2018-11-16, 00:59)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-11-14, 11:40)noggin Wrote: Pretty certain that TVHZ (which offers 2 x 24p settings - one for 23.976?) and nVIdia system settings both let you switch the output to 24/23.976p? I've not noticed that on Netflix or Amazon Prime TV on my Shield TV. When I select 23.976p output that's what I get in Amazon Prime last time I checked (though I use my Apple TV 4K for most UHD Netflix/Amazon viewing as I prefer the UI)

Are you saying Amazon Prime video switches it back to 60.00Hz? Or are you just pointing out that the Shield TV doesn't auto-switch?   AIUI the Amazon Fire TV needs apps to drive refresh-rate switching (rather than auto switching at the OS level) but it will do it if apps are written accordingly. 
Aware of TVHz; I've used it on Shield, but it's an inconvenience to switch to/from. I don't have FTV 4K Stick yet, but w/my 4K Pendant, yes, Prime switches to 23.976 for movies/TV shows like 'Jack Ryan', 'Bosch', etc., and switches back to 60Hz when back out to the UI. 
Yes - Amazon Fire TV will switch refresh rate under app control (not automatically at the OS level), but the nVidia Shield TV isn't fixed at 60Hz for Amazon Prime Video as you seemed to imply - it's just you have to change it is 23.976Hz isn't your standard UI refresh rate. (Kodi will switch refresh rates on the Shield TV but most apps don't)
(2018-11-16, 00:17)reddevilmeuk Wrote: I’ve had a look and don’t think they do one that fits / supports the fire stick ...? Unless I’m missing something

I believe this one works - yep read THIS post (click)

UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB Gigabit Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps/1 Gbps with USB 3.0 Hub 3 Ports

The ASIX Chipset in that adapter is highly compatible across a whole bunch of media player devices.

(2018-11-16, 02:27)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-16, 00:17)reddevilmeuk Wrote: I’ve had a look and don’t think they do one that fits / supports the fire stick ...? Unless I’m missing something

I believe this one works - yep read THIS post (click)
UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB Gigabit Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps/1 Gbps with USB 3.0 Hub 3 Ports

The ASIX Chipset in that adapter is highly compatible across a whole bunch of media player devices. 
just ordered for same day delivery so will post my findings...

OTG power enhancer and ugreen adapter
thanks
(2018-11-16, 01:42)redroberts Wrote: Even more testing tonight with copies of planet earth 2 and blue planet.... rather than buffering the picture is really juddedy....

Suddenly I like my old fire stick with basic 1080p content.

Sigh Sad
No such problems on mine - plays all 4K/HDR content perfectly and seeks faster than my Shield TV.
would be really nice to know:-

- what version | build | Skin of kodi your using
- what settings do you have on kodi - Player | Videos and System | Display and Audio
- are you streaming HDR content from a local server | NAS
- which adapter (NIC) are you using
- what settings did you change in the firestick

sorry just trying to figure out wtf

thx in advance
I'd also like to know above. Waiting for the Amazon promotion and going to buy that one too.
Regards,
Embrion
Kodi (v18b5)

Player/Video -
Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop
Sync playback to display: Off

System/Display -
Whitelist: All 3840x2160 options enabled (see note below)

System/Audio -
Number of channels: 7.1
Output configuration: Best match
Allow passthrough: On
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: On
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: On
DTS capable receiver: On

Fire TV

Display -
Video resolution: Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD)
Match original frame rate: On
Colour depth: Up to 12 bits
Colour format: RGB
Calibrate display: No scale
Dynamic range settings: Adaptive

Sounds -
Surround sound: Best available

System

LG OLED B7
Onkyo HT-S3800
Local NAS but using 5Gz Wi-Fi for the Fire TV

The Fire TV 4K can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File without any problems and only starts to struggle with the 200Mbps file.

Kodi has a problem right now causing it to switch to 1920x1080 for 4K HDR videos which is why I disabled all 1920x1080 resolutions in the whitelist.
I also have the 4k now but have to issues it always reverts the resolution back to fixed and my voice search on the remote doesn't work.
(2018-11-16, 14:50)Hitcher Wrote: Kodi has a problem right now causing it to switch to 1920x1080 for 4K HDR videos which is why I disabled all 1920x1080 resolutions in the whitelist.
Any idea if this is fixed in the latest nightlies, or at least being worked on?
I am really liking the 4k. I now have it running instead of the shield TV. At 60$ it kills the shield completely. Also way better remote. Let's see if I miss anything the next couple of days. But for now I am more then happy.
Can't kill the Shield, which has way more horsepower & full HD audio. But, I see FTV 4K stick as a compelling secondary device.
Ok this machine misses serious power. When I connect to WiFi without my nordvpn app enabled I get 130mbit when i enable the vpn app I get 25mbit. On the shield I get 180 150. So this is a no go for me.
(2018-11-16, 19:17)rwijnhov Wrote: Ok this machine misses serious power. When I connect to WiFi without my nordvpn app enabled I get 130mbit when i enable the vpn app I get 25mbit. On the shield I get 180 150. So this is a no go for me.

That was a pretty quick U turn... came in about an hour 15.. lol..

Well its not gonna best Shield thats for sure but not bad for the guest bedroom or study, I reckon..
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3