• 8(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Just tested again. Running the vpn app on the the 4k impacts the network with 100mbit . On the shield only 20mbit. But I really like the remote and the integration with my TV and sounbar of the 4k. Also the image of the 4k looks Just a hair better then the shield.
I'm curious how the FTV Stick handles multi-channel audio like AAC 5.1. Does it map all the channels into a 5.1 DD+ stream, or does it do like Roku and knock it down to stereo?
Can anyone test there WiFi transfer speeds? I am seeing lots of fluctuations and speeds around 50mbit. Where the shield get around 180. Both fire sticks behave this way.
How can I test?
Oh and I just found out the 4k remote is fully working on the shield TV. And that's an awesome combo.
(2018-11-16, 19:17)rwijnhov Wrote: Ok this machine misses serious power. When I connect to WiFi without my nordvpn app enabled I get 130mbit when i enable the vpn app I get 25mbit. On the shield I get 180 150. So this is a no go for me.
Kodi has a VPN policy (wiki), please familiarize yourself with it.

In short: VPN is not an essential part for Kodi to work, so if your Kodi setup requires a VPN to work properly, then we don't care.
Any technical talk about VPN usage will be shoved to the Off-topic section of this forum.
First and foremost thanks for taking the trouble in doing this

The gig adapter came this evening and I just tested. The important thing is it made no difference at all.

So I need to go down each of your settings to test

I have now got it stable on 95% of my content it’s just a few files that always give me the caching.... I’m wondering if it’s just those.

Will be testing and using the jellyfish example below.

(2018-11-16, 14:50)Hitcher Wrote: Kodi (v18b5)

Player/Video -
Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop
Sync playback to display: Off

System/Display -
Whitelist: All 3840x2160 options enabled (see note below)

System/Audio -
Number of channels: 7.1
Output configuration: Best match
Allow passthrough: On
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: On
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver: On
DTS capable receiver: On

Fire TV

Display -
Video resolution: Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD)
Match original frame rate: On
Colour depth: Up to 12 bits
Colour format: RGB
Calibrate display: No scale
Dynamic range settings: Adaptive

Sounds -
Surround sound: Best available

System

LG OLED B7
Onkyo HT-S3800
Local NAS but using 5Gz Wi-Fi for the Fire TV

The Fire TV 4K can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File without any problems and only starts to struggle with the 200Mbps file.

Kodi has a problem right now causing it to switch to 1920x1080 for 4K HDR videos which is why I disabled all 1920x1080 resolutions in the whitelist.
Interestingly my fire stick struggles playing the 140mbps jellyfish on the 100mb and 1gb adapter

Constantly caching

Moved it to the fire stick and voila perfect...... hmmm so a few things to check cabling be the first one

EDIT
Not cabling tried multiple cables / routes

(2018-11-16, 14:50)Hitcher Wrote: Kodi (v18b5)

The Fire TV 4K can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File without any problems and only starts to struggle with the 200Mbps file.

Kodi has a problem right now causing it to switch to 1920x1080 for 4K HDR videos which is why I disabled all 1920x1080 resolutions in the whitelist.
So I’ve tested moving the file to multiple machines onto different drives (internal / external / ssd) all on gig connections but get the same result can’t play back the jellyfish file unless it’s sat on the fire stick itself....

I’ve then tested transfer speeds between pc to pc on the same network and getting near gig speeds.....

Any thoughts on what to check nextHuh??
Sounds like a bus speed issue on the stick. Its not designed for a extremely high bit rate over the network it seems.. if its locally stored it works so thats the only conclusion you can draw.
On the network side it seems to strugle. So not sure if that can be fixed with an update.
next thing to check is a connection to the PC that's not SMB.... time for a bit of reading
ok so tested an NFS share, no joy still the same..

then got testing speeds within kodi file manager moving the 500MB file from the local amazon stick to different drives on different machines all on SMB shares and everything using gigabit ethernet. Results were

firestick 4k to SSD | External | internal drives all got approx 22-25 MB/s
any of the drives to firestick 4k all got approx 5-6.5 MB/s

found this a bit weird so tested a normal firestick (jarvis not leia) on the same drives using a 100MB ethernet adaptor. Results were

firestick to all drives approx 8-9 MB/s
any of the drives to firestick all got approx 5-6.5 MB/s

I only have 2.4Ghz wireless, so tested that next on the older firestick (same room as the router) and results were

firestick to all drives approx 3.5 MB/s
any of the drives to firestick all got approx 3.5 MB/s

so what this is telling me (i think) is that it cant get the data from the network quick enough to stop the caching, so the limitation is not with the ethernet adaptor but with the device itself?

has anyone else tried the speed test of moving files over the network to the firestick? 

sigh Sad
From my NAS to Fire Stick using 5Ghz Wi-Fi I'm getting 180-190Mbps which is about 23MB/s.
Normal fire stick or 4k?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3