• 11(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-11-21, 08:15)Hitcher Wrote: Resolution switching is working but there's currently a problem with 4K videos if you have any 1080p options whitelisted. It definitely switched to the correct resolution when I tested using 720p and 576i test files.
Yep, I did see your earlier post about this, but I didn't whitelist anything because of this post by @fritsch saying "Kodi autoswitches if no whitelist is set".

(2018-11-21, 08:26)rwijnhov Wrote: @hdmkv
How dit you hook up that hub to your stick?
There are multiple ways you can do it (see aftvnews.com), but here's my set-up:

[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2018-11-21, 04:00)ozkhan1 Wrote: @madnottez

Sorry for the messy way of responding but i am on my phone and not very user friendly but here goes:

- amazon ethernet adaptor not as good as the UGREEN one above.. I've tested!
- ensure you content is local
*** means you are streaming personal files from a PC or network attached storage (NAS) from inside your home connected to your home network or on a drive directly connected to the media streamer. Thats what local is as compared to over the internet streaming such as Netflix
- store the content on a pc or nas
**** see above. I suggest googling NAS. These are basically hard drives always on by themselves, without a PC and you can use them to share data over your network. Very useful, most medium to high end Kodi users use NAS drives or servers for personal media.
- connect the pc or nas to a gigabit switch
*** again i suggest googling. Ideal in your situation. If you have only one ethernet cable running from your router to the basement, you can use a switch. It can be described as an internet extention cord with more outlets just like a power strip. It gives you the flexibility of connecting more devices using ethernet.
- connect the firestick 4k (with above adaptors) to the same gigabit switch
** once you have a gigabit switch, you plug the firestick’s ethernet cord from the usb adapter to the switch so you have a hardwired connection.
- use Leia latest BETA
**** kodi has nightly test builds which are called beta versions. Not considered stabke but you can download them from the download page

Ok thanks. Will look into all of these. First will test new TV and Fire stick as is and see what happens.

Everything I watch is streaming though so that first part may not apply to me. I will get the adapters and go wired though.

Thanks
(2018-11-21, 16:07)bungral Wrote: Should I be using Leia rather than Krypton with it?  Is that likely to help me?

Cheers.
 Nah... the problem isn't Kodi I don't think. I think people have been having sync issues even with Amazon Prime videos.
I'm not getting ATMOS w/'Jack Ryan' on Prime w/Stick 4K, just DD+, but do get ATMOS w/FTV3 Pendant. Hopefully, Amazon fixes this.
How does it compare to the Sheild? Is it better or on par for kodi, Netflix and youtube (in browser)

I recently bought a sheild and am thinking of returning it for the firestick.

Other than not having chromecast this seems like the better buy.

YouTube in browser support 4k?
My firestick isnt working right with Dolby true HD, and DTS HD. When they are decoded to LPCM they no sound in the center channel.

What are the best sound settings to use?
Hmm, got my FTVS4K on Tuesday and Kodi Leia (18.0 > b5) running, but this morning Kodi starts and stops after a few seconds. Thought I screwed Kodi's config by unplugging a lot, so I decided to completely delete org.xbmc.kodi, remove Kodi and did a fresh install of today's nightly.
But issue persists. I don't see any warning or errors in the log file.

08:49:56.020 T:18446744071872977184  NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20 build 1.9@4893595
08:49:56.020 T:18446744071872977184  NOTICE: GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_ANDROID_extension_pack_es31a GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_buffer_storage GL_EXT_clear_texture GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_conservative_depth GL_EXT_copy_image GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_draw_buffers_indexed GL_EXT_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_geometry_point_size GL_EXT_geometry_shader GL_EXT_gpu_shader5 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_primitive_bounding_box GL_EXT_pvrtc_sRGB GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_group_vote GL_EXT_shader_io_blocks GL_EXT_shader_non_constant_global_initializers GL_EXT_shader_pixel_local_storage GL_EXT_shader_pixel_local_storage2 GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_shadow_samplers GL_EXT_sparse_texture GL_EXT_sRGB_write_control GL_EXT_tessellation_point_size GL_EXT_tessellation_shader GL_EXT_texture_border_clamp GL_EXT_texture_buffer GL_EXT_texture_cube_map_array GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_R8 GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_RG8 GL_EXT_YUV_target GL_IMG_bindless_texture GL_IMG_framebuffer_downsample GL_IMG_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_IMG_program_binary GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_shader_binary GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc2 GL_IMG_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_IMG_texture_npot GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robustness GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_draw_buffers_indexed GL_OES_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fragment_precision_high GL_OES_geometry_point_size GL_OES_geometry_shader GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_gpu_shader5 GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_sample_shading GL_OES_sample_variables GL_OES_shader_image_atomic GL_OES_shader_io_blocks GL_OES_shader_multisample_interpolation GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_OES_tessellation_point_size GL_OES_tessellation_shader GL_OES_texture_border_clamp GL_OES_texture_buffer GL_OES_texture_cube_map_array GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_texture_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_storage_multisample_2d_array GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OVR_multiview GL_OVR_multiview2 GL_OVR_multiview_multisampled_render_to_texture

are the last two lines in kodi.log
Hi guys,

question about the Fire TV Stick 4K. I have it connected with the Amazon Ethernet Adapter to my gigabit LAN. I have Kodi Leia installed on the Fire TV Stick and streaming via SMB files from my PC (also connected to LAN).

However, with H265 ultra HD files I have the problem that they often stop to buffer (blue dot in the middle of the screen, loading for a few secs). Which makes them unwatchable. Normal 1080p files (H264 or H265) play just fine.

Here media info of the file from Media Player Classic HC:

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : HEVC
Format/Info                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                 : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                       : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                       : 54 min 19 s
Width                          : 3 840 pixels
Height                         : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                      : 10 bits
Title                          : MPEG-H HEVC Video / 58295 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020
Language                       : English
Default                        : Yes
Forced                         : No
Color range                    : Limited
Color primaries                : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics       : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients            : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primar : R: x=0.708000 y=0.292000, G: x=0.170000 y=0.797000, B: x=0.131000 y=0.046000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance    : min: 0.0020 cd/m2, max: 1000.0000 cd/m2

Any suggestions? Is it the Amazon ethernet adapter? Thanks
If you are using a 100Mbps only Amazon adapter it will have insufficient bandwidth for your 58.295Mbps 4K streaming.
Any media player with only 100Mbit Ethernet would have the exact same problem with that 4K bitrate.

And we have not even considered HD audio data transfer yet either or the inefficient SMB networking protocols.

You need one of the USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet USB Hub adapters already talked about in this thread.

Really no one should be buying Amazon 100Mbit only Ethernet adapters if they are even thinking of anything to do with home networked 4K video streaming.

(2018-11-22, 15:25)wrxtasy Wrote: If you are using a 100Mbps only Amazon adapter it will have insufficient bandwidth for your 58.295Mbps 4K streaming.
Any media player with only 100Mbit Ethernet would have the exact same problem with that 4K bitrate.

And we have not even considered HD audio data transfer yet either or the inefficient SMB networking protocols.

You need one of the USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet USB Hub adapters already talked about in this thread.Really no one should be buying Amazon 100Mbit only Ethernet adapters if they are even thinking of anything to do with home networked 4K video streaming.
 Thanks, I will order myself a gbit usb hub and report back.
wrxtasy, would you recommend streaming over NFS from my PC, instead of SMB? Is the transfer rate much better?

Thanks
(2018-11-22, 01:10)hdmkv Wrote: I'm not getting ATMOS w/'Jack Ryan' on Prime w/Stick 4K, just DD+, but do get ATMOS w/FTV3 Pendant. Hopefully, Amazon fixes this.
To resolve my own issue, I had forgotten you need to manually enable ATMOS during playback. Amazon should put this in the main settings.

watch gallery
(2018-11-22, 14:35)Breal Wrote: Hi guys,

question about the Fire TV Stick 4K. I have it connected with the Amazon Ethernet Adapter to my gigabit LAN. I have Kodi Leia installed on the Fire TV Stick and streaming via SMB files from my PC (also connected to LAN).

However, with H265 ultra HD files I have the problem that they often stop to buffer (blue dot in the middle of the screen, loading for a few secs). Which makes them unwatchable. Normal 1080p files (H264 or H265) play just fine.

Here media info of the file from Media Player Classic HC:

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : HEVC
Format/Info                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                 : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                       : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                       : 54 min 19 s
Width                          : 3 840 pixels
Height                         : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                      : 10 bits
Title                          : MPEG-H HEVC Video / 58295 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020
Language                       : English
Default                        : Yes
Forced                         : No
Color range                    : Limited
Color primaries                : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics       : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients            : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primar : R: x=0.708000 y=0.292000, G: x=0.170000 y=0.797000, B: x=0.131000 y=0.046000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance    : min: 0.0020 cd/m2, max: 1000.0000 cd/m2

Any suggestions? Is it the Amazon ethernet adapter? Thanks
hi you need a gigabit ethernet adaptor and the amazon model is only fast ethernet (100m)
I moved to a rural area and have very little internet. Could I use a new fire stick 4K with Kodi and gigabit Ethernet adapter hooked directly to my netgear NAS to stream local movies to my TV?

Would I need a router or just an Ethernet switch between the NAS and the fire sticks?

Will my files still be able to scrap for the movie posters but all the heavy lifting of the files be done on the “home network”?

As I said my internet is horrible and is just a nighthawk hotspot for my whole house. Kids want to kill me...
(2018-11-22, 17:34)Breal Wrote: wrxtasy, would you recommend streaming over NFS from my PC, instead of SMB? Is the transfer rate much better?

Thanks

It might be slightly better, but home networking and streaming 4K Rips with HD audio at 50+ Mbps bitrates , you really need Gigabit Ethernet.

DIY - setup NFS file Sharing on Windiws Computers (click)

• 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3