• 23(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2018-12-28, 09:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-12-27, 23:05)testphase Wrote: i get a zidoo z9s for local playback instead (libreelec, coreelec all have the subtitle issue, too bright under hdr)

Interesting, I have been playing around with optimising CoreELEC and have slightly modded versions for use with AML S905W/X - S912 devices when watching HDR content with Subtitles. These should lessen the subtitle brightness/blooming that occurs with LCD LED 4K HDR TV's.

Such versions are found in THIS folder (click)

W. 

Is that coding in the levels that @wesk05 suggested for subtitles based on an HDR10 (ST.2084 PQ) EOTF?  This strikes me as a feature request for Kodi in general - as the subtitles seem to be rendered in SDR levels even when running in HDR output mode. (I guess you have to do this based on output mode not media type, as otherwise HDR content converted to SDR for replay will need SDR subtitles IF they are rendered downstream?)
(2018-12-28, 01:55)Luke M Wrote:  I wonder if you could try playing the LG Chess demo. That one stutters for me (over wifi/smb). I tried increasing the buffer size to 100MB but it didn't help.

https://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo/

No issues - plays perfectly from an attached usb in Kodi 18 rc3
(2018-12-28, 15:38)someuser08 Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 01:55)Luke M Wrote:  I wonder if you could try playing the LG Chess demo. That one stutters for me (over wifi/smb). I tried increasing the buffer size to 100MB but it didn't help.

https://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo/

No issues - plays perfectly from an attached usb in Kodi 18 rc3

I tried playing it from "sdcard" (integrated) storage, and it still wouldn't consistently play without stutter. Sometimes it stutters a lot, and sometimes only a little. I think maybe once it played without any stutter. It seems random, maybe depending on how much CPU time is getting stolen by other tasks (of course I'm not intentionally running anything else, but you know how bloated modern OSes are).
So I got gigagate kit today and spent a few hours replacing my powerline set up (at least between floors) and moving AP next to fire stick. Got 180mbps to my NAS via iperf3, but even 30mbps files using Kodi and NFS mount are not playing without buffering ( 30mbps is the average I assume, so in reality could be double in some scenes) Sad Very disappointed. Probably nothing short of full gigabit connection is going to work...

In the process I still faced issues with ugreen adaptor though - I can't get it to deliver above 55mbps with fire stick even though in my laptop in the same condition I get 200mbps with it. Last thing to try is a new otg adaptor...
Hi all, i am trying to install Kodi Leía RC4 and it does not get installed in my Fire TV Stick 4K.

Can you tell me which versión do you install?
enter in the donwolader it: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android...bi-v7a.apk
(2018-12-27, 13:00)someuser08 Wrote: Of course my tests are much more real life scenario and not theoretical maximum. My NAS is connected to my network via powerline adapters (2000mpbs tplink) and I know its not as fast as I would have hoped, but I get 160mbps to it from iperf on my phone (next to WiFi router from which I also run 6m cable to the laptop/fire stick). The combination of adapters I'm using is completely different though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-20265-Et...Mwebp_QL65

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMILAR-Micro-C...Mwebp_QL65

May be I should try yours...
That's interesting. This is exactly my combo... I recently bought another OTG Adapter but the results are still the same... very poor. I've now ordered the Ugreen adapter with USB 2.0 just to see if it helps in any case. I may also try the anker noggin is using.
(2019-01-01, 14:45)Justkidding Wrote: That's interesting. This is exactly my combo... I recently bought another OTG Adapter but the results are still the same... very poor. I've now ordered the Ugreen adapter with USB 2.0 just to see if it helps in any case. I may also try the anker noggin is using.

Let us know how you get on with that. For the moment I've abandoned wired route and trying wireless. Even though I get almost 200 Mbps now after moving my router, files with bitrate as low as 20mbps still buffer from time to time. I don't know what is really the problem here, Kodi or wireless on the stick... Going to try another router...
(2018-12-31, 18:49)boood Wrote: enter in the donwolader it: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android...bi-v7a.apk

Thanks, it worked.

To all the people that says 1080i h264 is not working, can you tell us which issues are you having?

In my case when watching h264 content, it gets displayed better than in the Mi Box S. Without those lines around the edges of moving objects.

Is it the deinterlacing issue you are having?

The main issue i am having is when the audio is gone after a few minutes. But maybe thats a problem with the streaming service cause other devices suffer from this also
(2019-01-02, 08:35)Rubytux Wrote:
(2018-12-31, 18:49)boood Wrote: enter in the donwolader it: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android...bi-v7a.apk

Thanks, it worked.

To all the people that says 1080i h264 is not working, can you tell us which issues are you having?      

h.264 separated field 1080i interlaced Blu-ray content is a blocky mess.
h.264 MBAFF 1080i interlaced Blu-ray content is played but not deinterlaced (i.e. both fields are displayed at once as if the source is progressive, giving combing on motion)
(I don't have any h.264 PAFF 1080i interlaced content to test with)

h.264 MBAFF 1080i interlaced DVB Live/Recorded TV content fails to display any video at all most of the time.  On the rare occasion it does play, it behaves like h.264 MBAFF Blu-ray content (i.e. no proper deinterlacing)

(Separated Field interlaced coding - where each separate interlaced field was encoded separately, effectively encoded as if it was a progressive frame, is no longer used by any mainstream h.264 encoders, but was used for early 1080i Blu-rays, and because Blu-ray doesn't support 1080p25 content natively, progressive 1080p25 drama was released as 1080i25 usually...  MBAFF is now used pretty much universally as it provides better quality, and encodes both fields simultaneously as a single frame.)
(2019-01-02, 11:55)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-02, 08:35)Rubytux Wrote:

Thanks, it worked.

h.264 separated field 1080i interlaced Blu-ray content is a blocky mess.
h.264 MBAFF 1080i interlaced Blu-ray content is played but not deinterlaced (i.e. both fields are displayed at once as if the source is progressive, giving combing on motion)
(I don't have any h.264 PAFF 1080i interlaced content to test with)

h.264 MBAFF 1080i interlaced DVB Live/Recorded TV content fails to display any video at all most of the time.  On the rare occasion it does play, it behaves like h.264 MBAFF Blu-ray content (i.e. no proper deinterlacing)

(Separated Field interlaced coding - where each separate interlaced field was encoded separately, effectively encoded as if it was a progressive frame, is no longer used by any mainstream h.264 encoders, but was used for early 1080i Blu-rays, and because Blu-ray doesn't support 1080p25 content natively, progressive 1080p25 drama was released as 1080i25 usually...  MBAFF is now used pretty much universally as it provides better quality, and encodes both fields simultaneously as a single frame.)

Mmm, it seems a mix of factors here.

I am testing the Movistar F1 Channel(Spain), it is h264 and likely with european refresh rate.

On the Mi Box S it plays almost perfect (sometimes the audio is also gone), here are some pics:

Mi Box S:

Fire TV Stick 4K:

The Fire TV Stick 4K is a little bit worse with deinterlacing, the Mi Box S is pretty good. Both are better than the Apple TV 4K "out of the box" (GSE has an option to deinterlace, but you need to activate it manually).

Finally, i am in Colombia, we use DVB-T2, but with 30/60 refresh rate. Our tvs support that refresh rate, i am not sure if Samsung/Sony support european refresh rate in their americas tv.

I am not sure if it affects the quality, but i expected worse image with earlier reports about problems with h264 TV.
How are you receiving Movistar? DVB-S/S2, DVB-C/C2 or DVB-T/T2?  Is it 1080i25?

What is your DVB backend? Myth, VDR, TV Headend?
(2019-01-02, 18:46)noggin Wrote: How are you receiving Movistar? DVB-S/S2, DVB-C/C2 or DVB-T/T2?  Is it 1080i25?

What is your DVB backend? Myth, VDR, TV Headend?

Hi, it is IPTV service. I am not sure if it is the same thing as deinterlacing, but when the Movistar F1 Channel shows old F1 footage(Mpeg2?), The Mi Box S looks bad. The Fire TV looks better.

There are lines around the edges as you can see in this picture:

But the lines where bigger/thicker and the objects(a car) looked very blurry, like this:

---------

I have tried X Ray, but it shows no info on a sideloaded app
Ah - if it's an IPTV service it may have been deinterlaced by your provider, before it reaches Kodi.  Is it definitely 50fps not 25fps motion?  IPTV is not the same as a 'real' TV provider via DVB in many cases.

The final screen grab shows badly scaled interlaced content that isn't being deinterlaced before scaling.
you guys do know that the fire tv stick 4K only supports 1080p with the latest kodi built, right?
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3