• 39(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
OK!  I have found some of my BDs of old TV shows contain H.264 1080i content.  As reported by others, his content results in horrible behavior that can actually require a restart of the device to get video working again.

FYI: Fraggle Rock Season 1 Disc 3 does amazingly evil things.  Please note that these are not encrypted and have not been transcoded.

List of behaviors:
* Audio/video out of sync
* Partially de-interlaced images
* 3-4 seconds to register a pause
* video stopped and audio playing.

Please note!  This is not a bug-report because it has already been reported and identified as an Amazon underlying problem (not a kodi problem)

P.S. This is an image on google.  I donno how reliable the link will be
(2019-05-13, 02:31)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-05-12, 23:18)FireInMyHole Wrote: I've reported the audio sync issues as a Kodi bug if anyone would like to add to this thread.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343831

There must be something that can be done within Kodi as MrMC doesn't have the same problem:

Try this A/V sync test video:

https://www98.zippyshare.com/v/5fdVv2pv/file.html

On my setup it's in sync. I'm just wondering if it's something peculiar to the files you're playing. 
This is so incredibly beguiling. This file appears to be in sync, but everything else is out by 300 milliseconds. I'm onto my second stick now, and the outcome is the same.

I've tried every permutation of setting within Kodi and the FireOS but nothing works.

Meanwhile, MrMC plays everything in sync, whether I have it set to match frame rates or not.

Completely at wits end.
(2019-05-18, 17:35)FireInMyHole Wrote:
(2019-05-13, 02:31)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-05-12, 23:18)FireInMyHole Wrote: I've reported the audio sync issues as a Kodi bug if anyone would like to add to this thread.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343831

There must be something that can be done within Kodi as MrMC doesn't have the same problem:

Try this A/V sync test video:

On my setup it's in sync. I'm just wondering if it's something peculiar to the files you're playing.  
This is so incredibly beguiling. This file appears to be in sync, but everything else is out by 300 milliseconds. I'm onto my second stick now, and the outcome is the same.

Upload one of your problem videos, I'm curious to try it. (You can truncate the video with ffmpeg if necessary).

Have you tried old versions of Kodi? Like 17, or 16. If old versions work, it would help the developers if you could identify the version where the problem was introduced.
(2019-05-18, 22:27)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-05-18, 17:35)FireInMyHole Wrote:
(2019-05-13, 02:31)Luke M Wrote: Try this A/V sync test video:

Upload one of your problem videos, I'm curious to try it. (You can truncate the video with ffmpeg if necessary).

Have you tried old versions of Kodi? Like 17, or 16. If old versions work, it would help the developers if you could identify the version where the problem was introduced.  
Tried 17.6. Same result. Which makes me think it's something to do with my hardware.

Videos are from the usual suspects, if you know what I mean. Multiple sources.
(2019-05-19, 16:21)FireInMyHole Wrote:
(2019-05-18, 17:35)FireInMyHole Wrote: This is so incredibly beguiling. This file appears to be in sync, but everything else is out by 300 milliseconds. I'm onto my second stick now, and the outcome is the same.  

Tried 17.6. Same result. Which makes me think it's something to do with my hardware.

I am not sure that I would be able to be of much help for you, but I'd be really interested in kodi.log with the debug level turned on and then the application restarted with the debug logging on.  This might be good to try on a fresh boot on the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k.

Maybe play a Big Buck Bunny:  Or maybe one of your films that fails.  You can use https://paste.kodi.tv/ to place the log and paste the link to here

It would maybe help with identifying the problem prior to replacing any hardware.

I use adbLink to make getting my logs easier, there may be some kind of add-on that makes posting the kodi log easier and more automated, but I barely use even the stock repo and few, if any, add-ons.

(adbLink: https://www.jocala.com/ )
(2019-05-18, 17:35)FireInMyHole Wrote: This is so incredibly beguiling. This file appears to be in sync, but everything else is out by 300 milliseconds. I'm onto my second stick now, and the outcome is the same.  

You are not alone every mkv is async here by 300-500 ms normal untouched rips lol its just a joke, which MrMc version is actually working?
(2019-05-27, 02:23)Lostion Wrote:
(2019-05-18, 22:27)Luke M Wrote: Upload one of your problem videos, I'm curious to try it. (You can truncate the video with ffmpeg if necessary).

You are not alone every mkv is async here by 300-500 ms normal untouched rips lol its just a joke, which MrMc version is actually working?  
Latest AFTV version of MrMC Lite works out of the box. What TV do you have?
(2019-05-27, 09:03)FireInMyHole Wrote:
(2019-05-27, 02:23)Lostion Wrote:
(2019-05-19, 16:21)FireInMyHole Wrote: Tried 17.6. Same result. Which makes me think it's something to do with my hardware.

Latest AFTV version of MrMC Lite works out of the box. What TV do you have? 
No i did use the latest kodi version and its async, MrMC lite i didnt tested it yet, can MrMC play rar? I acually switched to an Raspberry Pi 3B+ and dont have any sync issues so it must be the stick.
I can confirm its sync with MrMc Lite only thing thats still not working is HEVC untouched, testet transformers the last king and it stutters like hell (1 gbit network) over Kodi it runs a little better (with optimized cache settings) so yeah maybe it need some tweaks here and there.
Hi - I have 2 question for you guys:
1) Will Kodi ever be able to passthrough Dolby Atmos in Amazon Fire Stick 4k? Is is something locked in the device itself or Kodi needs to enable it? 
2) Do HDR10+ rip work just fine? I mean - do you see the HDR10+ sign in your TV while playing BR rips in Kodi?

Thanks
(2019-05-29, 21:15)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi - I have 2 question for you guys:
1) Will Kodi ever be able to passthrough Dolby Atmos in Amazon Fire Stick 4k? Is is something locked in the device itself or Kodi needs to enable it? 
2) Do HDR10+ rip work just fine? I mean - do you see the HDR10+ sign in your TV while playing BR rips in Kodi?

Thanks

I do not know the answer to #1,  I have this reply to #2 that I am completely uncertain if it answers your question

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 2 h 13 min
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 3241 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 902 cd/m2

This plays just fine, looks good, audio synced with video, HDR pop-up displays on my TV when it starts.  However, I have to transfer my video (untranscoded) to an MKV container from the ISOs I typically use.

Does this count as HDR10+?

Is there a film out there I should look for that contains the video encoding you are asking about?

--thefrog
(2019-05-30, 02:48)thefrog Wrote:

Thanks

I do not know the answer to #1,  I have this reply to #2 that I am completely uncertain if it answers your question

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@high
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 2 h 13 min
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 3241 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 902 cd/m2

This plays just fine, looks good, audio synced with video, HDR pop-up displays on my TV when it starts.  However, I have to transfer my video (untranscoded) to an MKV container from the ISOs I typically use.

Does this count as HDR10+?

Is there a film out there I should look for that contains the video encoding you are asking about?

--thefrog 
I am not sure if it does since mediainfo seems not be updated to display whether a content is HDR10+ or not. I have some rips in HDR10+ - but please let me know if your TV supports it first so that I can give you access to download the sample (need a gmail account).

Thanks for the help.
(2019-05-30, 05:50)gilsonsjc Wrote:
(2019-05-30, 02:48)thefrog Wrote:

Thanks

I do not know the answer to #1,  I have this reply to #2 that I am completely uncertain if it answers your question [*snip*]
I am not sure if it does since mediainfo seems not be updated to display whether a content is HDR10+ or not. I have some rips in HDR10+ - but please let me know if your TV supports it first so that I can give you access to download the sample (need a gmail account).

Thanks for the help. 
I did a bit of research into HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. 

My TV is an LG 75UH8500 and does not support HDR10+, according to the marketing nonsense (here: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-75UH8500-4k-uhd-tv ) it supports "HDR Super Plus Dolby Vision™."  HDR10+ seems to be a Samsung thing.

Getting information about what the TV thinks it is playing has not been easy.  I suppose I could connect to the debug/serial port.  I do not even have the TV connected to the network because I do not trust the device.  European versions of the remote control supposedly has extra buttons to reveal more information.

I don't see a Sammy 4k in my future.

1) There isn't a standalone "Atmos" audio format. There is DD+ with Atmos and TrueHD with Atmos. Firestick4K passes through DD+ but not TrueHD. Since streamers aren't currently offering lossless audio, Atmos is already fully supported as far as Amazon is concerned.

2) Don't know. Somebody with a Samsung TV will have to try it.
(2018-12-28, 09:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-12-27, 23:05)testphase Wrote: i get a zidoo z9s for local playback instead (libreelec, coreelec all have the subtitle issue, too bright under hdr)

Interesting, I have been playing around with optimising CoreELEC and have slightly modded versions for use with AML S905W/X - S912 devices when watching HDR content with Subtitles. These should lessen the subtitle brightness/blooming that occurs with LCD LED 4K HDR TV's.

Such versions are found in THIS folder (click)

W. 
hi wrxtasy,

thanks for your reply, it has been a while, i gave up the z9s because of the unstable firmaware and pickup again the s912 device, i flash your version, all the srt subtitles works perfectly under hdr modes (they are all grey out no mor blindling bright).
do you think it is possbile to update this version to coreelec 9.0.2? there has been a lot bug fixes now since the above versions. or can you maybe share the methode so that people can do theirself?

thanks again
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3