• 45(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
How do you get Kodi to play HDR with these devices?

My TV pops up a message saying "HDR Content Active" like it normally does for HDR but the colours are all washed out and lacking contrast.  It's like when you try and play HDR video through a non-HDR device.

HDR DOES WORK from other sources on this TV.  The Firestick 4k is fully up to date and set to allow 10 bit output.

Just to add I have tried to search the thread for this, but you can't use any 3 letter search terms which makes "10 bit" "HDR" etc a bit tricky to search for! Thanks
(2019-09-14, 18:03)retro83 Wrote: How do you get Kodi to play HDR with these devices?

My TV pops up a message saying "HDR Content Active" like it normally does for HDR but the colours are all washed out and lacking contrast.  It's like when you try and play HDR video through a non-HDR device.

HDR DOES WORK from other sources on this TV.  The Firestick 4k is fully up to date and set to allow 10 bit output.

Just to add I have tried to search the thread for this, but you can't use any 3 letter search terms which makes "10 bit" "HDR" etc a bit tricky to search for! Thanks

I have the same problem.I don’t know why but if you chose “Always HDR” instead of “Adaptive” in Display setting
it will looks fine . This only happens with my 2016 Samsung LED. I tried my lg monitor and works fine with Adaptive setting Enable
Has anybody figured out how to get additional Kodi remote control commands working with the Amazon Fire TV 4K?  Probably more of an issue for those of us using the stick for live TV, but the basic buttons on the supplied remote are a bit limiting.  I actually use a Logitech Harmony remote sending commands via HDMI-CEC, and I'd like to be able to call up the EPG, get the Info banner for the current channel, have a previous channel button, start a recording of the current channel, and so on.  Being able to jump to a channel by number, page-up/page-down for moving quickly the guide would be nice too.  Basically, the usual buttons for quick interaction with a DVR or PVR device.
(2019-09-25, 02:28)benicehavefun Wrote: Has anybody figured out how to get additional Kodi remote control commands working with the Amazon Fire TV 4K?  Probably more of an issue for those of us using the stick for live TV, but the basic buttons on the supplied remote are a bit limiting.  I actually use a Logitech Harmony remote sending commands via HDMI-CEC, and I'd like to be able to call up the EPG, get the Info banner for the current channel, have a previous channel button, start a recording of the current channel, and so on.  Being able to jump to a channel by number, page-up/page-down for moving quickly the guide would be nice too.  Basically, the usual buttons for quick interaction with a DVR or PVR device.

I don't know about Bluetooth additional commands emulating an expanded remote, but you can use a USB OTG connected RF keyboard. If I get a chance I'll try a Minix RF remote.
(2019-09-22, 11:55)ikudo Wrote:
(2019-09-14, 18:03)retro83 Wrote: How do you get Kodi to play HDR with these devices?

I have the same problem.I don’t know why but if you chose “Always HDR” instead of “Adaptive” in Display setting
it will looks fine . This only happens with my 2016 Samsung LED. I tried my lg monitor and works fine with Adaptive setting Enable 

Mate, you're an absolute legend!  Superb, that works perfectly.
Now that it's unlockable, any chance for HD Audio passthrough? Wink
Disregard this post please.
Just an update..
I was testing FireStick 4K with some video files which have 2 channel PCM audio track (no Dolby track). However my Denon receiver was still showing that it is receiving multi-channel PCM (5.1 in fact) audio from FireStick. I am not sure what does it mean. I have FireStick to output stereo sound under its audio setting and 5.1 'fixed' output under Kodi settings.
(2019-09-25, 02:28)benicehavefun Wrote: Has anybody figured out how to get additional Kodi remote control commands working with the Amazon Fire TV 4K?  Probably more of an issue for those of us using the stick for live TV, but the basic buttons on the supplied remote are a bit limiting.  I actually use a Logitech Harmony remote sending commands via HDMI-CEC, and I'd like to be able to call up the EPG, get the Info banner for the current channel, have a previous channel button, start a recording of the current channel, and so on.  Being able to jump to a channel by number, page-up/page-down for moving quickly the guide would be nice too.  Basically, the usual buttons for quick interaction with a DVR or PVR device.

Making progress on getting the Fire TV Stick 4K to support my complete list of desired remote control commands!

I'm using a Flirc on an OTG cable that's working well off a 1A USB port on my Samsung Smart TV.  Been using Flirc devices for some time on my Kodi Raspberry Pi setups, so I'm duplicating the method used there for sending IR commands from a Logitech Harmony One (650 works great too) to the Flirc.  The Flirc, in turn, generates the desired keyboard shortcuts.  Seems random, but the "Panasonic DMR-EZ28K" definition from the Logitech database has been a great choice, as it's a brand I don't otherwise use, and it has a large number of buttons available.  You can choose something else if you're a Panasonic user, but this one works well otherwise.

Also, I'm continuing to use HDMI-CEC for those few buttons that the Fire TV Stick remote has, and that already work in Kodi, so that I can use my Harmony with any other Fire TV Stick app just like always.  Here are my mappings for anyone that's interested:

Harmony One Hard Button --> Panasonic IR Command --> Flirc Generated Keypress --> Kodi Action

Menu --> "Functions" --> <esc> --> previous menu
Page Up --> "F.Record" --> <pg up> --> moves up a page at a time in the EPG or through recorded items
Page Down --> "Record Mode" --> <pg dn> --> moves down a page at a time in the EPG or through recorded items
Info --> "Display" --> M --> player controls OSD
Guide --> "Schedule" --> <ctrl> + G --> displays EPG
Skip Back --> "Direction Left" --> <left arrow> --> skips back various amounts in seconds as defined in Kodi
Skip Forward --> "Direction Right" --> <right arrow> --> skips forward various amounts in seconds as defined in Kodi
Stop --> "Stop" --> X --> stops current playback of Live TV or recording
Previous Channel --> "Com Skip" --> 0 --> jumps back to previous live TV channel or to current time in EPG
Channel Up --> "Ch Up" --> <up arrow> --> changes channel in Live TV up one
Channel Down --> "Ch Dn" --> <down arrow> changes channel in Live TV down one
0 thru 9 Buttons --> "0" thru "9" --> <0> thru <9> -->  jump to channel by number in live TV or EPG

Harmony One Soft Button Name --> Panasonic IR Command --> Flirc Generated Keypress --> Kodi Action

Contextual Menu --> "Sub Menu" --> C --> displays contextual menu based on current activity
Delete --> "Delete" --> <del> --> deletes current library item (if enabled in Kodi)
Recorded TV --> "Direct Navigator" --> K --> displays available recorded TV shows
Live TV --> "Input Next" --> <tab> --> returns display to fullscreen playback

Harmony One Hard Button Mapped to Samsung Smart TV --> HDMI-CEC Mapping to Fire TV
​​​​​​
Exit --> "Back"
Rewind --> "Rewind"
Fast Forward --> "Fast Forward"
Play --> "Play/Pause"
Pause --> "Play/Pause"
Up, Down, Left, Right --> "Up", "Down", "Left", "Right"
OK --> "OK/Select"

Open Issues

I'd like to be able to generate the Fire TV "Home" (house shaped icon) and "Menu" (three horizontal lines icon) buttons from my Logitech, but haven't been able to find keystroke equivalents for those commands.  I haven't had those buttons available via HDMI-CEC -- and they would be handy.  No luck finding them online.  Anybody know if those commands can be generated by keystroke?
Having a bit of an issue, and not sure if anyone else has come across this before and can provide help/advice.

As of a few weeks ago, my Fire TV Stick 4K running Kodi 18.3 has been unable to play RMVB media files. When I try loading one, the screen sort of glitches a bit, and the audio plays fine, but no video appears. I've tried changing every setting I can think of (both within Kodi and in the Fire TV settings) but can't seem to fix this. I'm absolutely certain that the RMVB files played normally previously, but no idea what I've changed.

The Fire TV Stick 4k is plugged straight into TV HDMI port, and the TV is 1080 only.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
(2019-10-12, 19:17)rhoniel Wrote: Just an update..
I was testing FireStick 4K with some video files which have 2 channel PCM audio track (no Dolby track). However my Denon receiver was still showing that it is receiving multi-channel PCM (5.1 in fact) audio from FireStick. I am not sure what does it mean. I have FireStick to output stereo sound under its audio setting and 5.1 'fixed' output under Kodi settings.

There's no way to output 2 channel PCM, as 2 channel PCM, from the Fire 4K. If you use "optimized" instead of "fixed" you can get 2 channels, but it won't be PCM - it will be transcoded to DD+.
(2019-10-08, 12:40)farhanito Wrote: Now that it's unlockable, any chance for HD Audio passthrough? Wink

So much better now Ive got rid of that horrible Amazon launcher, and free from the ads and promoted content.
(2019-10-22, 14:52)Luke M Wrote:
(2019-10-12, 19:17)rhoniel Wrote: Just an update..

There's no way to output 2 channel PCM, as 2 channel PCM, from the Fire 4K. If you use "optimized" instead of "fixed" you can get 2 channels, but it won't be PCM - it will be transcoded to DD+.  

Yep - and Amazon Music HD and Ultra HD (which is lossless 44.1/16bit and 44.1/24 or 96/24 audio) is output as DD+... On their own platform.  Pay Amazon to stream lossless audio - but then find you can't listen to it losslessly on their own platform... (Off topic - but shows a major platform issue...)
With the previous model (not 4K), the dynamic range (0-255, 16-235) could not be set in kodi so the images were too dark.
With this new version is it possible to configure this in Kodi?

About sound I hace a lot of problems with first model....Is it able to pass DTS this 4K version?

Regards,
(2019-10-31, 20:15)Sonhan Wrote: With the previous model (not 4K), the dynamic range (0-255, 16-235) could not be set in kodi so the images were too dark.
With this new version is it possible to configure this in Kodi?

About sound I hace a lot of problems with first model....Is it able to pass DTS this 4K version?

Regards,

It would not help at all. On Android platforms rendering is done with mediacodec surface, it does whatever it wants when outputting. Kodi has no influence here.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3