• 50(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Cooler than a Roku and much cheaper than an Apple TV, the new streaming dongle offers 4K HDR video in every conceivable format while outperforming Amazon’s more expensive Fire TV Cube and third-generation Fire TV  now discontinued.The only thing you can’t do with the Fire TV Stick 4K is switch to an external cable box and launch live cable channels by voice.
For my delay friends:

I prepared a test sample, it includes a DTS track, a stereo mp3 track, a stereo aac track, a 6 channel aac track and a 6 channel ac3 track. The position in the movie I check with all of these is "Hamburger" :-)

It looks perfectly fine for me with all audio tracks. I used: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk for testing, which only contains a very minor change to yesterday, which as an influence of about 10 to 20 ms, but not more on average.

Testfile: https://fritschserver.no-ip.org/owncloud...Emlc2rGcCT (720p video and above 5 audio tracks (dts, mp3, aac 5.1, aac, ac3) use it with above prepared apk, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Smile 
(2019-12-09, 12:39)fritsch Wrote: For my delay friends:

I prepared a test sample, it includes a DTS track, a stereo mp3 track, a stereo aac track, a 6 channel aac track and a 6 channel ac3 track. The position in the movie I check with all of these is "Hamburger" :-)

It looks perfectly fine for me with all audio tracks. I used: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk for testing, which only contains a very minor change to yesterday, which as an influence of about 10 to 20 ms, but not more on average.

Testfile: https://fritschserver.no-ip.org/owncloud...Emlc2rGcCT (720p video and above 5 audio tracks (dts, mp3, aac 5.1, aac, ac3) use it with above prepared apk, please.

Thanks for your effort!!!  Smile
Does anybody have a definitive list of settings that Kodi should have for the Fire Stick 4K? That would make for great information to keep in the OP.
Not much, to be honest. The defaults work quite well. Configure Audio to match your setup (e.g. passthrough settings). The major thing I changed was in "Picture" settings to not scan exif tags and not generating preview images. The memory of the Stick is a bit smallish and going through large picture directories could easily make it going out of memory.

I wanted to reimplement exif handling (e.g. ringbuffer cache with a max size) but could not motivate myself enough :-)

Volunteers welcome.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
With the "timestamp" build, I got the values mentioned below. The measurements were taken with a Sync-One2 (https://sync-one2.harkwood.co.uk/) with FireTV Stick 4K connected directly to LG OLED C8. Audio passthrough was disabled in Kodi. The test file is from Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc. It is a 4K 23.976fps HDR10 test pattern. The internal timing resolution of the Sync-One2 is 0.05ms. The display is rounded to nearest ms.

FireTV 4K
Dolby Digital: -176ms
AAC: -291ms
Dolby TrueHD: -284ms
DTS-HD MA: -256ms

For comparison, these are the values from nVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019)
Dolby Digital: -134ms
AAC: -124ms
Dolby TrueHD: -127ms
DTS-HD MA: -138ms
@wesk05  Thanks much. The timestamp build is outdated, you can use the fritschfiretv build if you find the time. What I find funny: Passthrough was disabled in all cases. That means the FireTV only output 2.0 stereo, which is done with the very same format for all of those input formats. Therefore I had expected a lower variance. Especially the Dolby Digital (which is also decoded to PCM) looks odd.

Also when you check my sample above - I am not sure your values actually reflect real life experience. One would notice your measured delays very heavily, also for the Shield.
The Sync-One 2 uses optical detection (not HDMI analysis) to detect the video, and either an internal mic or external line-in (analogue) to detect the audio, doesn't it?

As a result all measurements will include delays introduced by both the source AND the display (and a connected AVR if there is one)?  

So the measurements are useful, VERY useful, for local system calibration purposes - where you want to get things to be as close to zero as possible - but they are less 'absolute' and more 'local relative' - unless you also know the inherent A/V delay in your display and can factor this in (or you can absolutely prove that your display has no relative A/V lag/lead and all lag/lead is source related) ?  In other words the Sync-One2 delay is a combination of player delay, display delay and audio system delay - so you have to be careful in using it to state player/source delay only - but it IS very useful for comparing different source devices playing the same media into the same display and audio system.
Means: It has also an impact depending on how large the audio buffer is? Then it's quite "useless" for kodi users here, sadly :-(

AudioTrack dynamically constructs / maintains the audio buffer and increases it, if needed. The GetDelay() and GetHWLatency() tell this to AudioEngine, which tells it to the video player.

Now the shield values are quite clear as well. Depending on which version he ran (Leia or Master), that's exactly the audio buffer in that version - I think this was Leia _without_ my backported patches that are in fritschfiretv build.
And what I have forgotten:
In kodi Audio and Video are totally separate. VideoPlayer has different queues. Audio queue size and video queue size is _not_ of equal size. Means there can be 7 seconds in Video queue and 5 in Audio-Queue and so on. The playback samples are then synced to each other via above API. So, if you just measure "what goes" in and when it comes to display, you have a severe offset between video and audio.
We made contact to amazon today and described the DD+ issue (Stereo Output when DD+ processing by their FW is active). We hope for the best :-)
(2019-12-12, 12:47)fritsch Wrote: We made contact to amazon today and described the DD+ issue (Stereo Output when DD+ processing by their FW is active). We hope for the best :-)
Is there an issue tracker we can look at so we can let Amazon know we really want it fixed? Or were you just lucky enough to talk to somebody like Elias Saba?
Luckiness ... remember: they don't care about kodi at all :-)

Therefore I made the issue a "wrongly implemented" AudioTrack API issue that affects all other applications as well.
(2019-12-12, 18:54)fritsch Wrote: Luckiness ... remember: they don't care about kodi at all :-)

Therefore I made the issue a "wrongly implemented" AudioTrack API issue that affects all other applications as well.

Hello Fritsch,
are there any updates regarding your Amazon ticket? I can't find it in github in the exoplayer-amazon-Repo....

Kind Regards,
G.
No. They did not reply yet. Btw. you are looking in the wrong repository. Kodi does not use their exoplayer fork.

Did you test the fritschfiretv build I made? Where do you still get issues? (Comparing to Leia won't help - as the mentioned version has an entire new API implemented - Leia will never work from playstore, cause of the old android devices we have to support I cannot backport that stuff)
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3