• 64(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Okay, great. Could you disable Mediacodec (Surface), then it should also be fine in kodi, right?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-04-03, 00:37)jubilex Wrote:
(2020-04-02, 22:40)88keyz Wrote:
(2020-04-02, 17:31)jubilex Wrote: Yeah, it's strictly a problem with the combination of Fire TV 4k and Kodi and cropped MOVs -- the cropped MOVs display correctly in Kodi on Windows, in Kodi on Android phone, and in Plex on the same Fire TV 4k. Someone even said they display correctly in Kodi on 2nd gen Fire TV (not 4k) although I haven't verified that. Meanwhile, there is no problem with cropped MKVs.

If MKV containers work perfectly you could always use FFmpeg to convert your MOV files to an MKV (or likely MP4 as well) container without having to re-encode.  Save the following code as a batch file, ie. FFmpeg_mov2mkv.bat, making sure your change the SET FFMPEG variable line to reflect your FFmpeg executable path.

FFmpeg_mov2mkv.bat:

@echo OFF
SET FFMPEG="C:\FFMPEG\ffmpeg.exe"
FOR %%a IN ("*.mov") DO %FFMPEG% -i "%%a" -c copy "%%~na".mkv

Then just place any MOV files to be converted to MKV container into the same folder as the batch file and double-click it.  All MOV files will be converted to MKV files in seconds without needing to re-encode.  If you'd prefer to convert to MP4 then just change the end of line 3 from .mkv to .mp4 and resave the file as FFmpeg_mov2mp4.bat.  
I ran the command you gave and did all the output resolutions suggested. I also did versions of the 800 resolution converted to mkv and mp4.

In VLC and Plex on Fire 4k, all played back correctly -- black bars on all except 1056 and 1072 where I think they were cut off by overscan.

In Kodi on Fire 4k, all played back stretched, with no black bars. Since 100% of all the other hundreds of cropped MKVs in my collection play back correctly, I'm guessing there must be something different with these particular streams regardless of what container they're packaged in?

Here is the log including playback of all the files you suggested (output800.mov etc), and your cropped Pulp Fiction sync-test.mkv which displayed correctly: aduzulerim.kodi (paste) 

And for your log. Yes exact same symtpome I had expected. Will talk to @peak3d once again, perhaps we do something "wrong" that we could do differently.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-04-03, 07:01)fritsch Wrote:
(2020-04-03, 00:37)jubilex Wrote:
(2020-04-02, 22:40)88keyz Wrote: If MKV containers work perfectly you could always use FFmpeg to convert your MOV files to an MKV (or likely MP4 as well) container without having to re-encode.  Save the following code as a batch file, ie. FFmpeg_mov2mkv.bat, making sure your change the SET FFMPEG variable line to reflect your FFmpeg executable path.

FFmpeg_mov2mkv.bat:

@echo OFF
SET FFMPEG="C:\FFMPEG\ffmpeg.exe"
FOR %%a IN ("*.mov") DO %FFMPEG% -i "%%a" -c copy "%%~na".mkv

Then just place any MOV files to be converted to MKV container into the same folder as the batch file and double-click it.  All MOV files will be converted to MKV files in seconds without needing to re-encode.  If you'd prefer to convert to MP4 then just change the end of line 3 from .mkv to .mp4 and resave the file as FFmpeg_mov2mp4.bat.  
I ran the command you gave and did all the output resolutions suggested. I also did versions of the 800 resolution converted to mkv and mp4.

In VLC and Plex on Fire 4k, all played back correctly -- black bars on all except 1056 and 1072 where I think they were cut off by overscan.

In Kodi on Fire 4k, all played back stretched, with no black bars. Since 100% of all the other hundreds of cropped MKVs in my collection play back correctly, I'm guessing there must be something different with these particular streams regardless of what container they're packaged in?

Here is the log including playback of all the files you suggested (output800.mov etc), and your cropped Pulp Fiction sync-test.mkv which displayed correctly: aduzulerim.kodi (paste) 

And for your log. Yes exact same symtpome I had expected. Will talk to @peak3d once again, perhaps we do something "wrong" that we could do differently. 

Thank you for your efforts! FWIW no combination of the two mediacodec settings in Kodi have any effect on the video stretching.
The reason is quite simple. Mediacodec itself announces a Stream-Change, telling us the dimensions we gave it via hints (1920x816) would have changed to 1920x1088, because it tells us its internal aligned surface dimensions ... which is a bug ... but perhaps we can handle that nicley™ without breaking all the rest.
Morning all, I recently bought a Fire TV 4K since I'm about to lose my free Sky TV (UK satellite) so I installed Kodi 18.6 on it. I'd hoped I'd be able to use the framerate switching but I cam across an answer saying there's a bug in the amazon firmware?

I have the option enabled on the FTV, also adaptive HDR etc, I then enable it in Kodi but the only resolution I can whitelist is 1080p 59.94? Is there anyway to successfully enable this. 

I'm rather susceptible to the jerkiness of pans when 24p is shown at 60p/50p even though my other half doesn't notice it.

Thanks Smile
In general FireTV 4K can do it, sadly it seems there is a firmware bug, that it forgets / does not negotioate properly with the TV, AVR. It might help to power it on last, after AVR, TV have been there already. Sometimes it also helps to power cycle the AVR, TV while it is already on.
(2020-04-04, 08:02)fritsch Wrote: The reason is quite simple. Mediacodec itself announces a Stream-Change, telling us the dimensions we gave it via hints (1920x816) would have changed to 1920x1088, because it tells us its internal aligned surface dimensions ... which is a bug ... but perhaps we can handle that nicley™ without breaking all the rest.

Well, that would be awesome! Any guesses why it decides on 1920x1088 for these cropped MOVs but not for any other cropped mkv?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17611

Will prepare a testbuild later.
Here: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM/...bi-v7a.apk (make a backup - this is Matrix material)
(2020-04-04, 10:44)fritsch Wrote: In general FireTV 4K can do it, sadly it seems there is a firmware bug, that it forgets / does not negotioate properly with the TV, AVR. It might help to power it on last, after AVR, TV have been there already. Sometimes it also helps to power cycle the AVR, TV while it is already on.

OK, many thanks, I tend to have it powered on all the time, whereas the TV/AVR go on and off all the time Smile
The "hard core" backport of peak3d's fix onto my fritschfiretv build fixes the issue for me - though, not sure what It broke :-)

Have fun testing.
(2020-04-05, 12:17)fritsch Wrote: The "hard core" backport of peak3d's fix onto my fritschfiretv build fixes the issue for me - though, not sure what It broke :-)

Have fun testing.

Thank you, will test tonight and report back! Should I be testing your 0405 firetv build, or the previously posted 0404 build posted at Jenkins? Are they both Matrix?
No, this is still Leia: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk and should fix your issue. We are planning to backport that to 18.7 - so give it a thorough test.
Thank you so much! Everything I played displayed correctly, cropped, uncropped, mov, mkv. I tried one of I think every kind of file I have available and no problems with any of them.
(2020-04-05, 22:02)jubilex Wrote: Thank you so much! Everything I played displayed correctly, cropped, uncropped, mov, mkv. I tried one of I think every kind of file I have available and no problems with any of them.

Thanks much.
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3