• 108(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2021-04-03, 19:03)Shasarak Wrote: Question for those who have owned both a fire stick 4K and a fire cube: is the image quality any better on the cube?

I don´t know which TV you have ... but I can say, unfortunately, that my oled webos internal player is MILES better image quality compared to Fire Stick 4K...
(2021-04-04, 18:09)chicco73 Wrote:
(2021-04-03, 19:03)Shasarak Wrote: Question for those who have owned both a fire stick 4K and a fire cube: is the image quality any better on the cube?

I don´t know which TV you have ... but I can say, unfortunately, that my oled webos internal player is MILES better image quality compared to Fire Stick 4K...

Yes the Fire Stick image quality is really not very good; that's why I'm wondering if the Fire Cube might be better. (TV's internal player is not an option for me, partly because the TV introduces an unacceptable level of audio lag - the sound lagging behind the picture - and partly because that bypasses my Lumagen video processor).
(2021-04-04, 18:31)Shasarak Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 18:09)chicco73 Wrote:

Yes the Fire Stick image quality is really not very good; that's why I'm wondering if the Fire Cube might be better. (TV's internal player is not an option for me, partly because the TV introduces an unacceptable level of audio lag - the sound lagging behind the picture - and partly because that bypasses my Lumagen video processor).
I bought the firestick 4K thinking about improving the image quality with KODI, with a better support for subtitles and audio tracks, a better graphical interface... compared to the internal WEBOS player.
The result is any surround passthrough NOT work, the image quality is worst, the file access to the NAS is incredibly slow with KODI (but fast with VLC, I don´t know why)
Have to change my mind...
I don´t think things change with the cube
(2021-04-04, 09:18)mountainhill2 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 05:52)Luke M Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 03:07)mountainhill2 Wrote: Got it yesterday, too.

If I'm not wrong (my boy is using it now, can't check/confirm), it does "fix" one thing.
The description on the Audio is now changed from "Stereo" to "PCM" and it says it supports multi-channel PCM.

Multi-channel PCM is never an issue for me, it's been always working in my setup.
But I know it didn't work for some of the folks here.
I'm wondering if the latest firmware really fixes the multi-channel PCM issue for you?
That is you can choose to get multi-channel PCM instead of DD+ when playing DTS/AAC contents.

Kodi Android v19 changed from using floating point to integer audio, which fixed the 5.1 PCM problem. (7.1 still doesn't work).
I only have 5.1 speakers, so I can't fully confirm if 7.1 is working or not.

But when I play the 7.1 audio test file from Fraunhofer, I can confirm that both Back and Side audios are coming out of my back/surround speakers.
Doesn't it mean that my setup is capable of handling 7.1 audio?

No. Even if Kodi is set to 7.1 (is it?), the channels could be reversed. That was the original problem with 7.1. More recently, it doesn't work at all.
(2021-04-04, 21:51)Luke M Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 09:18)mountainhill2 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 05:52)Luke M Wrote: Kodi Android v19 changed from using floating point to integer audio, which fixed the 5.1 PCM problem. (7.1 still doesn't work).
I only have 5.1 speakers, so I can't fully confirm if 7.1 is working or not.

But when I play the 7.1 audio test file from Fraunhofer, I can confirm that both Back and Side audios are coming out of my back/surround speakers.

No. Even if Kodi is set to 7.1 (is it?), the channels could be reversed. That was the original problem with 7.1. More recently, it doesn't work at all.
In Kodi --> Systems --> Audio, I set it to Best Match, 5.1.

As I've mentioned above, I can hear all 7 audio channels "correctly" (Side Left and Back Left from my Surround Left, Side Right and Back Right from my Surround Right) using Fraunhofer test file.
(2021-04-05, 05:24)mountainhill2 Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 21:51)Luke M Wrote:
(2021-04-04, 09:18)mountainhill2 Wrote: I only have 5.1 speakers, so I can't fully confirm if 7.1 is working or not.

In Kodi --> Systems --> Audio, I set it to Best Match, 5.1.

As I've mentioned above, I can hear all 7 audio channels "correctly" (Side Left and Back Left from my Surround Left, Side Right and Back Right from my Surround Right) using Fraunhofer test file.

Obviously Kodi can decode 7.1 and downmix to 5.1. That is completely independent of Android. To test the sound output you have to set Kodi to 7.1. (But if your AVR downmixes the 7.1 to 5.1, then you won't know about reversed channels).
So I finally received the firetv update today after months and months of no 5.1 on Kodi (running 18.3) and as others have said nothing has been fixed with passthrough and I’m still getting stereo at best on my all singing and dancing Atmos 5.1.2 set up.

To say I am gutted is an understatement as I’ve been praying for this update for ages now.

I’m finally admitting defeat and I’m guessing it’s a case of upgrading to Kodi 19 and reinstalling all my addons (a good few hours work for a basic Kodi user like me) or ditching the Firestick altogether and going for a different hardware setup altogether and the cost that involves.

Could anyone please breakdown the easiest way to upgrade to a nightly(?) Kodi 19 version and if I could somehow copy my current addons over at all pretty please?

I know the experts here could probably write a very quick explanation instead of me watching YouTube guides and googling for hours on end. I’d be very grateful if so as DD+ even with no DTS would be a godsend right now. Thanks in advance
What works for me to get 5.1 (all I have).  Set the Firestick to stereo only, set Kodi to 5.1 channels and disable passthrough.
I can confirm with the NEW update that passthrough work partially on KODI 19 (only 5.1 and only with IEC RAW through ARC).
DTS and Atmos demo track still 2.0 for me...
(VLC passthrough not work because you cannot change to Android RAW packer)
AFTV gets worse and worse. The new UI is confusing and slow. Great job Amazon!
(2021-04-08, 22:15)chicco73 Wrote: I can confirm with the NEW update that passthrough work partially on KODI 19 (only 5.1 and only with IEC RAW through ARC).
DTS and Atmos demo track still 2.0 for me...
(VLC passthrough not work because you cannot change to Android RAW packer)

Additional info: Kodi 18.9 passthrough NOT work with new fireos update
With the new update I can now select PCM in the fire settings and then without enabling passthrough on Kodi I seem to get multi in into my AVR. I’m unsure if this means I am getting 5.1 but it certainly sounds a lot different than the stereo I was getting before.
(2021-04-10, 12:20)KILOCHARLIE Wrote: With the new update I can now select PCM in the fire settings and then without enabling passthrough on Kodi I seem to get multi in into my AVR. I’m unsure if this means I am getting 5.1 but it certainly sounds a lot different than the stereo I was getting before.

PCM mean 2.0 only
Maybe your AVR is set to force 2.0 signal to all speakers Huh
My soundbar can do it ... but it isn´t a real surrond at all
(2021-04-10, 13:48)chicco73 Wrote: PCM mean 2.0 only

With this setting the output is definitely in 5.1 channel PCM format, not 2.0. Whether it's the correct 5.1 channel signal, I don't know.
(2021-04-10, 18:16)Shasarak Wrote:
(2021-04-10, 13:48)chicco73 Wrote: PCM mean 2.0 only

With this setting the output is definitely in 5.1 channel PCM format, not 2.0. Whether it's the correct 5.1 channel signal, I don't know.
Usually PCM is referred to 2.0 and LPCM to multichannel PCM.
Anyway, the Firestick 4K menu audio setting, describe it as Stereo Only.
You mean that Kodi work with his internal audio setting (whatever the setting in Firestick Audio menu) Huh
Then my soundbar (Samsung Q950T) don´t support LPCM but Bitstream only ... so I can´t test it
  • 108(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3