• 109(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2021-04-09, 03:36)sirmedia Wrote: AFTV gets worse and worse. The new UI is confusing and slow. Great job Amazon!
I think the new UI needs some extra work but I find it nicer looking and faster. I just wish they updated it to Android 9 so our app support is prolonged.
(2021-04-10, 22:05)chicco73 Wrote: Usually PCM is referred to 2.0 and LPCM to multichannel PCM.

Not aware of that - AFAIK LPCM stands for Linear Pulse Code Modulation - and is used to differentiate from other forms of PCM encoding (DPCM - Differential PCM, Log - Logarithmic PCM etc. - though these are seldom/never? used in mainstream audio applications in the HTPC realm) - I've never taken it to mean multichannel PCM. I've always assumed PCM is a short-hand for LPCM (as all mainstream PCM audio is based around Linear PCM sampling/encoding?) - with Multichannel PCM or Multichannel LPCM referring to the non-stereo variants. (Personally I use 5.1/7.1 PCM usually to be explicit)
(2021-04-11, 15:33)noggin Wrote:
(2021-04-10, 22:05)chicco73 Wrote: Usually PCM is referred to 2.0 and LPCM to multichannel PCM.

Not aware of that - AFAIK LPCM stands for Linear Pulse Code Modulation - and is used to differentiate from other forms of PCM encoding (DPCM - Differential PCM, Log - Logarithmic PCM etc. - though these are seldom/never? used in mainstream audio applications in the HTPC realm) - I've never taken it to mean multichannel PCM. I've always assumed PCM is a short-hand for LPCM (as all mainstream PCM audio is based around Linear PCM sampling/encoding?) - with Multichannel PCM or Multichannel LPCM referring to the non-stereo variants. (Personally I use 5.1/7.1 PCM usually to be explicit)
I know, there´s a lot confusion on the net about it.
Because PCM describe the entire family standards ... (it's a bit like Blueetooth and his codecs / transmitting methods)
As I said, usually PCM is referred to 2.0, but a multichannel audio stream is always in LPCM format.
Here an example :
(2021-04-11, 17:18)chicco73 Wrote:
(2021-04-11, 15:33)noggin Wrote:

I know, there´s a lot confusion on the net about it.
Because PCM describe the entire family standards ... (it's a bit like Blueetooth and his codecs / transmitting methods)
As I said, usually PCM is referred to 2.0, but a multichannel audio stream is always in LPCM format.
Here an example :

Yep - my guess is that this is confusion from people who don't understand that PCM 2.0 is LPCM... 

In the era of DVD you had SPDIF audio which was widely described as carrying PCM 2.0 or DD/DTS.  The PCM 2.0 is actually LPCM 2.0 (as it's based on linear coding, not logarithmic or A-Law/u-law etc. or differential) but PCM was used as a shorthand.

In the Blu-ray era - LPCM was explicitly stated (which could be 2.0, 5.1 7.1 etc.) - but for some reason I think people have made assumption that PCM is just 2.0 and LPCM is >2.0.

The reality is that the L just stands for Linear (and defines how the sampling quantisation is handled, not the number of channels sampled).  And SPDIF/Toslink (and the AES 3 similar standard) also carry 2.0 LPCM - though this often abbreviated to PCM.

I would be wary of assuming LPCM = multichannel.
(2021-04-10, 18:16)Shasarak Wrote:
(2021-04-10, 13:48)chicco73 Wrote: PCM mean 2.0 only

With this setting the output is definitely in 5.1 channel PCM format, not 2.0. Whether it's the correct 5.1 channel signal, I don't know.
This is the same as what I get.
But mine is always working the same, even on Kodi 18.x.

Firestick Audio --> PCM (or Stereo previously)
Kodi --> 5.1, disable passthrough ... or in v19 Android audio track (which means passthrough is disabled)

One drawback I'm getting with video player app on FireOS (not Kodi) is that I'm only getting 2.0.
I don't get dialog (Center channel) when I play 5.1 audio using FireOS app outside of Kodi.
I don't know how it'll behave in other FireOS apps, such as Amazon video, Disney+, AppleTV, Netflix, etc. since I don't have any of those subs at the moment.
Since last firestick 4k update, my Kodi 19 matrix, crash every time.

I can see it:

Power on firestick with only Kodi.
Open Kodi
Then is impossible to do nothing, because ram, in a few seconds, max 1 mins, go to full, and Kodi crash.
I have only Google drive add-on. No others.

Needed a log files? No one have this issue?
With previous firestick is, was not this issue.
I can only say that Kodi 19 works as good as ever for me since the new Fire TV update on my 4K Stick, and I use quite a few add-ons.
(2021-04-24, 04:04)Tarkus_ Wrote: I can only say that Kodi 19 works as good as ever for me since the new Fire TV update on my 4K Stick, and I use quite a few add-ons.

Thanks to reply

i'm trying to restore firestick, then install kodi one more time from beginning.

I see anyway that free ram available is little, 1gb used, 200 free, and i didn't install any app, only kodi...
Hi Guys, I'm think I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation here.

So Firestick 4k connected to my NAS via Ethernet using a Gigabit HP adapter.

Using Iperf I get 257Mbps (~32MB) transfer speed. (using the Amazon 10/100 adapter I get 92Mbps (11.5MB) so definitely a good increase)
I don't expect the full Gigabit transfer speeds due to the USB2 Firestick interface but about 32MB still seems pretty good.

Now this is where things don't add up.
If I copy a file using SolidFile Explorer or ES File Explorer it maxes about at 11/12MB.
If I play the Jellyfish high bitrate samples in Kodi the 80/90/100/110Mbps samples play fine but stuttering starts as 120Mbp (15MB) file.
If I play the same files on my PC connected to the same LAN I can go upto the 250Mbps (over 30MB) before any stuttering starts.

So even though Iperf is stating data transfer speed of 32MB the reality of the situation is somewhere around 12/13MB.
Which would suggest a Gigabit Ethernet adaptor is pretty much pointless.
I've have tried both SMB and NFS with no difference.

Am I missing something here or does that make sense?
(2021-05-05, 17:04)billsmith564 Wrote: So even though Iperf is stating data transfer speed of 32MB the reality of the situation is somewhere around 12/13MB.

That sounds plausible. Iperf tests the speed the OS can move data at; Kodi-level connections are always slower. That said, the maximum permitted bit rate for a UHD blu ray remux is 128Mb/s I think, so you don't really need to move data faster than that. On other platforms there is a way to mount the connection at OS level and have Kodi treat it as a local folder, but I've never figured out how to do that on the Fire Stick - maybe someone can tell us?
(2021-05-05, 19:51)Shasarak Wrote:
(2021-05-05, 17:04)billsmith564 Wrote: So even though Iperf is stating data transfer speed of 32MB the reality of the situation is somewhere around 12/13MB.

That sounds plausible. Iperf tests the speed the OS can move data at; Kodi-level connections are always slower. That said, the maximum permitted bit rate for a UHD blu ray remux is 128Mb/s I think, so you don't really need to move data faster than that. On other platforms there is a way to mount the connection at OS level and have Kodi treat it as a local folder, but I've never figured out how to do that on the Fire Stick - maybe someone can tell us?

Thanks for clarifying my understanding. I agree with you about the 128Mbps, I was just testing limits. Cheers.
(2021-05-05, 17:04)billsmith564 Wrote: Hi Guys, I'm think I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation here.

Using Iperf I get 257Mbps (~32MB) transfer speed. (using the Amazon 10/100 adapter I get 92Mbps (11.5MB) so definitely a good increase)
I don't expect the full Gigabit transfer speeds due to the USB2 Firestick interface but about 32MB still seems pretty good.

If I copy a file using SolidFile Explorer or ES File Explorer it maxes about at 11/12MB.
If I play the Jellyfish high bitrate samples in Kodi the 80/90/100/110Mbps samples play fine but stuttering starts as 120Mbp (15MB) file.
If I play the same files on my PC connected to the same LAN I can go upto the 250Mbps (over 30MB) before any stuttering starts.

So even though Iperf is stating data transfer speed of 32MB the reality of the situation is somewhere around 12/13MB.

billsmith564

From my experience and tries with different products:

1. This combo  OTG Cable + Ethernet Adapter gave my the best performance, with 323Mbps measured with Iperf3.  The quality of the OTG Cable really matters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNF...UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJU...UTF8&psc=1

2. Jellyfish Android client sucks...  same movie, same Amazon device, same network, Emby outperform JellyFish from It can't be watched to fluent stream.  Kodi is on pair with Emby but outperform it on 4K rips with high bitrate video and high def audio, so I use        KODI  always

3. 323Mbps is ok for 4K, but with some heavy rips it buffers about 3 or 4 seconds at the beginning or with a big jump forward playing.

4. Using a NVIDIA Shield with Gigabit ethernet connection zero buffering and instant FF are archived  in the same network.  

5. My networks consist in 1xAFTV Stick 4K, 1xAFTV Cube 2nd Gen. 1xNvidia Shield 2017, a old  Chromebox  Celeron 2955U as server running OpenMediaVault and an Asus RT-AC87U Router
(2021-05-06, 16:00)Maito Wrote:
(2021-05-05, 17:04)billsmith564 Wrote: Hi Guys, I'm think I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation here.

billsmith564

From my experience and tries with different products:

1. This combo  OTG Cable + Ethernet Adapter gave my the best performance, with 323Mbps measured with Iperf3.  The quality of the OTG Cable really matters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNF...UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJU...UTF8&psc=1

[cut]
How do you power the Fire stick with that combo? I use the solutions below to power the 4k Stick and get those speeds also with this combo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLUEJFU
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSQ56J9
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2021-05-05, 19:51)Shasarak Wrote:

I'm officially a happy bunny, and quite by accident.

I was transferring some files from my NAS to my Android phone and noticed slow speeds, around 5MB/s while getting around 50MB/s to a Windows laptop.
After a quick Google I tried using FTP rather than SMB, and straight away around 35MB/s transfer speed.

So onto the Firestick and changed Kodi to use FTP rather than SMB.

Previously:
If I played the Jellyfish high bitrate samples in Kodi the 80/90/100/110Mb/s samples played fine but stuttering started at the 120Mb/s (15MB/s) file.
Now:
I can now play the same Jellyfish high bitrate samples right upto 250Mb/s (31.25MB/s) with no stuttering, stuttering starts at the 300Mb/s (37.5MB/s) file.

Not that I'm going to have anything to actually play at those bitrates, but it's nice to know the limit.
(2021-05-12, 01:21)billsmith564 Wrote: So onto the Firestick and changed Kodi to use FTP rather than SMB.

I can't be arsed with FTP, but I do use Hanewin NFS Server on my Windows box. Linux devices tend to be much happier using NFS rather than SMB.
  • 109(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3