Setting up SMB or NFS on mac
I've gone to the wiki link and have followed all the steps on my mac but am unable to get my android tv to connect with my computer. I've tried it multiple times but whenever I try to set up the SMB it says that is cannot connect.
SMB v2 by default requires full user credentials, meaning name and a password. It is best to use the "Add a network location..." option when creating a video/music source. No idea if SMB v1 or v2 is used ni MacOS X.

NFS is a different animal from SMB, I don't know if MacOS X has default support for it, or that you even installed an NFS server already.
I kept trying it and got it to work.  I think it might be SMB1 because my kodi on my android tv will now connect without a password or a username. I'm a little concerned that others will be able to get into my system and would like to set up a username and password. But when I go through the steps in the Wiki page it says connection refused.
If you are wanting anonymous access, you may have to use SMBv1 as I believe it is not possible to do this using SMBv2 or SMBv3 with the default settings.

I have not tried using other options, but I may investigate that.
Ok, I looked at this more deeply and here is what I have done.

1. I have set up the normal file sharing on my Mac running Mojave. I have set it up to allow guest usage. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help...usr001/mac has the details under the section called "Let occasional users log in as guests"
2. I have applied the changes to concerning the server side of things as outlined here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926
3. I have used the basic Kodi configuration without changes. I have mounted the various sources in the Video menu using the SMB network.
4. I have had to format the file names per the normal approach to get the directory scanning to work as expected, but this is pretty much a given for working in Kodi (or MrMC, if you use that on tvOS)
I have freaking tried everything to get my stupid iMac to work with Kodi on my shield using smb and can’t for the life of me get it. Such a pain in the ass. I gave up and went back to plex.
I actually figured it out. I changed the permission on my external hard rive to read only for everyone else besides the administrator so that other's cant changed files. To get it to work I went to videos--add videos-browse-add network location--windows network--left everything blank except for server name where I put the ip address itself. Leave out smb in the server name and don't input a password or username as it won't work with that. If you change the permissions to read only it should not matter that you don't have the username or password.
I did that and get unable to connect error
I have found that, on Mac, NFS is the best and fastest for remote sources in a local network. To enable nfs on your mac, and start at boot, use Terminal.app to enter (note that sudo command requires an admin password. Press return key after each command):

First do:
Quote:sudo nfsd enable
Then do:
Quote:sudo nfsd start
Then you need to edit your nfs share points, located at /etc/exports. In terminal:
Quote:sudo nano /etc/exports
Edit the file to look something like this:

/Volumes/wd.3tb.1/ -mapall=nobody -alldirs
/Volumes/qwerty.5tb/ -mapall=nobody -alldirs
/Volumes/azerty.7tb/ -mapall=nobody -alldirs
/Volumes/dvorak.8tb/ -mapall=nobody -alldirs

Then press ctl-x to save and exit. Each line represents a different Volume that you want to share. Change the volume names to whatever yours are.

Then in terminal:
Quote:sudo nfsd restart
This will reload nfsd and pickup the new shares you added. If you want, NFSManager is also good GUI front end for managing nfs shares.

In Kodi, on your player device, you can locate the sources at:

nfs://<ip-address-of-mac>/Volume/<HD-Name>

replace <ip-address-of-mac> with your mac's IP address and <HD-Name> with the name of the Volume. You probably also want to enable MAC (different from Mac. lol) based IP reservations on your router, so your iMac always has the same local ip address.
(2018-11-30, 23:29)Klojum Wrote: SMB v2 by default requires full user credentials, meaning name and a password. It is best to use the "Add a network location..." option when creating a video/music source. No idea if SMB v1 or v2 is used ni MacOS X.

NFS is a different animal from SMB, I don't know if MacOS X has default support for it, or that you even installed an NFS server already.

Mac Mojave has support for all versions of SMB (1,2,3).  It defaults to 3 and with Leia I have it set to force SMB3 as minimum.  You do not need name/password to work with KODI.  You do have to add location based on the network address (net bios style browsing has never worked with Apple's SMB here, only the older Samba from Mountain Lion and before).  Once you add the network location, you can use that to add as many of the drives/shares set up in the "sharing" preference pane in macOS.  Those drives do need to be set there to be read enabled for "everyone" to work and some media files can get set by some programs to not allow everyone to read them (that's easily set in the media drive a whole folder or even drive at a time with Finder for permissions for read only access).  Everything then works as expected save for a music glitch (described below).

And yes, macOS does have and still has NFS installed (possibly part of their UNIX certification as they seem to carry a lot of stuff they don't offer via GUI), but to get it to work with KODI, the SIP security integrity protocol so you can edit the files need to add -boot to the configuration file (actually Mojave seemed to remove my config file period, but I copied it back over from El Capitan and it worked fine). 

The issue I keep having is that playing music from KODI (whether Krypton 17.6 with SMB1 or 18.3 Leia with SMB3) over the network share results in a "skip" every so many songs for reasons unknown.  It even locked up through one song until its time was up for the next one tonight.  I need to do more testing with Windows 10 that I recently installed as an alternate OS on the same machine (set up with MacDrive so it can read my HFS+ media drives and KODI isn't the more wise for wear and accesses them exactly the same as from the Mac OS), but thus far it hasn't skipped on a song yet using Leia 18.3 and SMB3 (oddly video files have always seemed unaffected with MacOS serving; it's always just been music files that have an issue).  I fear Apple's home brew SMB has some kind of an issue in it.  I just tried disabling packet signing and directory sorting by database file (someone claimed this really speeds it up in MacOS), but it'll have to wait for another day to play a bunch of music files to test it (and Windows 10) as I have to work tomorrow.  I recently created a new database via NFS I can swap out as well to test music through that as well.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Nope.  I get skips sooner or later from Windows 10 too with SMB3 and even NFS in OS X (if it's not the network protocol or the OS, what's left?  I removed the advanced settings and rebuilt the GUI in Leia as well).  I've gotten a new router in the past year so I doubt it's the network since they're two different brands and had no other issues.  So unless there's something about that hard drive the files are on that acts up under two different operating systems, I've got no clue why I get skips and others apparently don't.  I get them from an NVidia Shield and a FireTV 4K both and multiple versions of KODI.  AppleTV streams the exact same songs perfectly.  I guess I'll stick with it for network music.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Hi. New here and I'm trying to connect my Kodi on a Tanix6 box to my iMac via NSF Server but I'm having some trouble...

I use NFS Server app on my mac to share a folder in an external HD with all my movie. I select the folder I want to share and map all users to root. The folder is shared because I can use it with my other media players (HiMedia 910B and Mede8er 800). But Kodi isn't getting there, don't know why. I already succeeded once but recently I changed my iMac HD to a SSD drive and having trouble since.

When I select nfs:// it finds my shared directory but when I try to scrape to my library it says "no video found". 

Any advise?

TIA
MacOS 10.14.6 came out with supposed improvements to SMB3 reliability.  I had a TV show freeze on me reliably a few times in a row, but I think maybe it was a memory issue with FireTV as it stopped doing it when I rebooted (I had been running several other apps on it, which sadly do not actually "quit" from memory but try to multitask on the device that lacks resources as it is) so I'm not sure if they improved things or not in the Mac OS update relative to KODI.

Edit: Nope.  It's definitely SMB on the Mac that is to blame.  It froze again and had to be manually restarted on the Mac to get it going again.  Unacceptable.  And Apple had the NERVE to claim they improved SMB reliability.   It's much worse.  I may have to go back to El Capitan on my external backup as it's too unreliable here.  Or I could switch to NFS for now until/if they fix it.
I tried copying back the SMBD app from macOS El Capitan to Mojave (HUGE file size difference, like 800k compared to 5.9MB) and so far, so good.  It appears to run the older version without issue and no freezes or crashes on the first few videos I've watched (fingers crossed).

Edit: Spoke too soon.  Froze again....
Please beware of Catalina for MacOS and NFS. There are new security features that the wiki instructions no longer work. If anyone has workaround for Catalina, please post here and update the Wiki. I have not tried the SMB functionality for Catalina yet, but it is next on my todo list.

Thanks in advance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac0