Setting up SMB or NFS on mac
(2019-10-12, 03:55)sobarber Wrote: Please beware of Catalina for MacOS and NFS. There are new security features that the wiki instructions no longer work. If anyone has workaround for Catalina, please post here and update the Wiki. I have not tried the SMB functionality for Catalina yet, but it is next on my todo list.

Thanks in advance.
I refuse to use Catalina due to it dumping 32-bit app support (breaks most games and many high-priced apps like older Photoshop versions), but I did notice that when I installed Mojave it didn't just wipe/reset my one file setting in one of the files like previous versions did, but deleted the entire file entirely.  I had to copy back the relative files completely from a previous OS backup version on top of turning SIP off first to be able to edit the files.  

It's hard to believe, but macOS (then OS X) used to have full NFS support in the server app settings.  They removed it, but in order to remain UNIX compliant and keep their certification, they included all required tools and apps.  They clearly felt no need to make them easily accessible.  Perhaps with Catalina, they no longer care about being UNIX certified?
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
OK, I figured out the NFS changes on Catalina. You have to do the edits to the plist from the Terminal started in the Recovery OS mode with the SIP disabled.

In the RecoveryOS, the boot volume will be mounted as "/Volumes/{Root Volume Name}" so the root volume is called  "Macintosh HD" then the boot volume would be mounted as "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

The file to edit would be "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist"

And then you can reenable SIP before you reboot.
(2019-10-12, 23:00)sobarber Wrote: OK, I figured out the NFS changes on Catalina. You have to do the edits to the plist from the Terminal started in the Recovery OS mode with the SIP disabled.

In the RecoveryOS, the boot volume will be mounted as "/Volumes/{Root Volume Name}" so the root volume is called  "Macintosh HD" then the boot volume would be mounted as "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

The file to edit would be "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist"

(2019-10-14, 16:44)Kotek67 Wrote:
(2019-10-12, 23:00)sobarber Wrote: OK, I figured out the NFS changes on Catalina. You have to do the edits to the plist from the Terminal started in the Recovery OS mode with the SIP disabled.

Can someone please help me figure this out - after upgrading to MacOs Catataline , I cannot longer access my SMB shares within Kodi that worked until the upgrade with no problems. I am getting "lock settings" with user/password prompt when trying to access the previously added shares ? What can I do here to fix that? Which credentials is Kodi asking me to enter ? Please help!!!!
(2019-10-14, 16:48)Kotek67 Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 16:44)Kotek67 Wrote:

Can someone please help me figure this out - after upgrading to MacOs Catataline , I cannot longer access my SMB shares within Kodi that worked until the upgrade with no problems. I am getting "lock settings" with user/password prompt when trying to access the previously added shares ? What can I do here to fix that? Which credentials is Kodi asking me to enter ? Please help!!!! 
I am having trouble after catalina as well.. I am able to access the local files on kodi (non-repository) but when I click the video, its like it tries to load but does nothing.. I am able to reload the library so I know the path is good.. This issue is across the board if I use kodi on a mac, firestick, firetv..

If I connect to the same folder on a mac through finder, I am able to play the movie with no issues.. So its not necessarily an SMB issue in general, but an SMB issue through kodi..

I have some log files that do show an error....

2019-10-19 09:38:04.096 T:123145331466240   ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 53, Software caused connection abort )
2019-10-19 09:38:04.096 T:123145331466240   ERROR: Open - error probing input format, smb://192.168.10.55/Movies/Movies/3 Days to Kill/3 Days to Kill (2014) .mp4

Any ideas?
I'm glad I have no intention of EVER using Catalina (which destroyed 32-bit support as well, which meant Photoshop CS3, iZotope RX and Microsoft Office 2012 here, none of which I want to pay to replace, let alone "rent" from the newer "Cloud" versions by Adobe and Microsoft).  I'm very unhappy with Apple on this and the lemmings on the Mac boards couldn't care less what Apple does.  They only use Facebook and Facetime anyway and the horrible Safari browser.  Hell, Mojave has issues for me as it is (fails to boot without going into safe mode every so often and doing a diskutil update Preboot command (no idea how it loses this over time, but I bet it has something to do with Boot Camp never getting an update as well in regards to APFS, although Windows 10 on it never fails to boot and SMB3 works religiously there while I sometimes get the odd "pause" from the Mojave server unless I reset it (turn off/on) after a reboot and then it seems good until the next reboot.  Frankly, El Capitan worked much more reliably, but I'm on a timer as it is for browsers, etc. continuing to work.  Microsoft is no picnic with their screwy updates either.  The days of a nice reliable server seem to be over.  The NVidia Shield firmware update seems to have brought back the dreaded "stops for no reason" issue on top of all that that previously went away on it by turning CEC commands OFF.  So either they've reenabled something not in the list internally or god knows what (shakes head).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

More info pleaseHuh Edit how?

This is my com.apple.nfsd.plist - What should I edit and How? Whats SIP and how do I disable it?
Thanks
————————————

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <dict>
        <key>PathState</key>
        <dict>
            <key>/etc/exports</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.apple.nfsd</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/sbin/nfsd</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>
I am also getting a “error probing input format” in the log file, and the movies won’t start playing. Also, adding the network share and browsing through the folders takes forever when setting it up.
I am doing this on a Mac with Catalina accessing another Mac with Catalina, through Samba share..

The same share is fully accessible and working perfectly on my Apple TV (Infuse Pro - set up as Samba share also) so I don’t think the actual share is the issue here.

LE: If anyone's interested, I got it to work by adding the share through the "Volumes" option. Just went there and found the shared folder right there (after first creating an alias for it in Finder - but not sure that's even necessary because I deleted it later and the share still works now).
(2019-07-21, 05:12)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2018-11-30, 23:29)Klojum Wrote: SMB v2 by default requires full user credentials, meaning name and a password. It is best to use the "Add a network location..." option when creating a video/music source. No idea if SMB v1 or v2 is used ni MacOS X.

NFS is a different animal from SMB, I don't know if MacOS X has default support for it, or that you even installed an NFS server already.

Mac Mojave has support for all versions of SMB (1,2,3).  It defaults to 3 and with Leia I have it set to force SMB3 as minimum.  You do not need name/password to work with KODI.  You do have to add location based on the network address (net bios style browsing has never worked with Apple's SMB here, only the older Samba from Mountain Lion and before).  Once you add the network location, you can use that to add as many of the drives/shares set up in the "sharing" preference pane in macOS.  Those drives do need to be set there to be read enabled for "everyone" to work and some media files can get set by some programs to not allow everyone to read them (that's easily set in the media drive a whole folder or even drive at a time with Finder for permissions for read only access).  Everything then works as expected save for a music glitch (described below).

And yes, macOS does have and still has NFS installed (possibly part of their UNIX certification as they seem to carry a lot of stuff they don't offer via GUI), but to get it to work with KODI, the SIP security integrity protocol so you can edit the files need to add -boot to the configuration file (actually Mojave seemed to remove my config file period, but I copied it back over from El Capitan and it worked fine). 

The issue I keep having is that playing music from KODI (whether Krypton 17.6 with SMB1 or 18.3 Leia with SMB3) over the network share results in a "skip" every so many songs for reasons unknown.  It even locked up through one song until its time was up for the next one tonight.  I need to do more testing with Windows 10 that I recently installed as an alternate OS on the same machine (set up with MacDrive so it can read my HFS+ media drives and KODI isn't the more wise for wear and accesses them exactly the same as from the Mac OS), but thus far it hasn't skipped on a song yet using Leia 18.3 and SMB3 (oddly video files have always seemed unaffected with MacOS serving; it's always just been music files that have an issue).  I fear Apple's home brew SMB has some kind of an issue in it.  I just tried disabling packet signing and directory sorting by database file (someone claimed this really speeds it up in MacOS), but it'll have to wait for another day to play a bunch of music files to test it (and Windows 10) as I have to work tomorrow.  I recently created a new database via NFS I can swap out as well to test music through that as well.

Will this work with Catalina?
(2019-11-01, 16:49)ChinoAlan Wrote:
(2019-07-21, 05:12)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2018-11-30, 23:29)Klojum Wrote: SMB v2 by default requires full user credentials, meaning name and a password. It is best to use the "Add a network location..." option when creating a video/music source. No idea if SMB v1 or v2 is used ni MacOS X.

NFS is a different animal from SMB, I don't know if MacOS X has default support for it, or that you even installed an NFS server already.

Mac Mojave has support for all versions of SMB (1,2,3).  It defaults to 3 and with Leia I have it set to force SMB3 as minimum.  You do not need name/password to work with KODI.  You do have to add location based on the network address (net bios style browsing has never worked with Apple's SMB here, only the older Samba from Mountain Lion and before).  Once you add the network location, you can use that to add as many of the drives/shares set up in the "sharing" preference pane in macOS.  Those drives do need to be set there to be read enabled for "everyone" to work and some media files can get set by some programs to not allow everyone to read them (that's easily set in the media drive a whole folder or even drive at a time with Finder for permissions for read only access).  Everything then works as expected save for a music glitch (described below).

And yes, macOS does have and still has NFS installed (possibly part of their UNIX certification as they seem to carry a lot of stuff they don't offer via GUI), but to get it to work with KODI, the SIP security integrity protocol so you can edit the files need to add -boot to the configuration file (actually Mojave seemed to remove my config file period, but I copied it back over from El Capitan and it worked fine). 

The issue I keep having is that playing music from KODI (whether Krypton 17.6 with SMB1 or 18.3 Leia with SMB3) over the network share results in a "skip" every so many songs for reasons unknown.  It even locked up through one song until its time was up for the next one tonight.  I need to do more testing with Windows 10 that I recently installed as an alternate OS on the same machine (set up with MacDrive so it can read my HFS+ media drives and KODI isn't the more wise for wear and accesses them exactly the same as from the Mac OS), but thus far it hasn't skipped on a song yet using Leia 18.3 and SMB3 (oddly video files have always seemed unaffected with MacOS serving; it's always just been music files that have an issue).  I fear Apple's home brew SMB has some kind of an issue in it.  I just tried disabling packet signing and directory sorting by database file (someone claimed this really speeds it up in MacOS), but it'll have to wait for another day to play a bunch of music files to test it (and Windows 10) as I have to work tomorrow.  I recently created a new database via NFS I can swap out as well to test music through that as well. 

Will this work with Catalina? 
I can't say with any certainty since I don't use Catalina and probably never will due to it dumping 32-bit app support.
So this is the thread where all the Mac pros hang out?  I am a brand new convert (or aspiring convert, I should say) from Windows.  Couldn't resist the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the M1's performance and figured it would take several years for Intel to catch up with this kind of silicon, which only means that Apple will keep growing its market share, and it was finally time to leave Windows.

Well, I've had a very tough first 24 hours with my new Macbook Pro.  The learning curve is insane, and all my workflows have been turned upside down.  To ease the transition, I've tried to make it feel like Windows as much as possible by using my existing keyboard and mouse, but the design differences in the two OS's are just too fundamental.  The hardware is mind-blowing, but the OS is causing me a lot of pain.  Spent $20 right away on a NTFS-mounting app and will probably spend more on various other solutions to further reduce friction.

Back on topic, one of my biggest dependencies was Kodi (streaming content to Nvidia Shield) and after several hours, I've finally gotten it to work by forcing SMB1 and making some odd and unintuitive selections in System preferences.  I did cheat by assigning my old Windows PC's static IP to the Macbook in router settings to avoid the library being duplicated, which happened to me at least twice in the past.

I hope that as the Mac market share continues to grow, we do get a more robust and secure sharing solution that doesn't require being a Unix expert to set up.  I am nowhere near the required level of understanding of MacOS to try the NFS method right now, and it seems these setups break with version upgrades anyway.
(2022-02-13, 05:56)Knocks Wrote: I hope that as the Mac market share continues to grow, we do get a more robust and secure sharing solution that doesn't require being a Unix expert to set up.  I am nowhere near the required level of understanding of MacOS to try the NFS method right now, and it seems these setups break with version upgrades anyway.

For what it's worth, I don't use MacOS machines but I have used Ubuntu Linux now for some 12 years now. And sure, every OS has its nicknacks. But setting up a working NFS share has become a matter of a 1-3 minutes (depending on how fast I type). In a session terminal, installing the NFS server means typing 1 line (sudo apt install nfs-kernel-server), adding NFS shares is 1 line per share in the /etc/exports file, then 'activate' the exports file with a single command, and then restart the nfs server with also 1 command. Done.

NFS has much less of a problem with versions like SMB does. Creating a SMB/NFS share on OS level is recommended so Kodi won't have to deal with the any setup problems.

I'm sure other people can set up SMB shares in Linux or MacOS or Windows just as fast, but I'm no MacOS or Windows guy. Getting to know a new OS takes time, and with MacOS you should be able to handle lots of things via the command line or scripts (MacOS is basically Linux as well). I set up a new Linux pc with all its programs and tools via the command line only. Only the little tweaks are done via the GUI.
Most of the differences on Macs from Windows are easier to do on Macs. Other things are surprisingly similar (i.e. I had no real trouble adjusting either way over the years). The biggest difference is COMMAND-C (Apple icon on Apple keyboards) instead of Control-C and installing and deleting programs are usually drag and drop on the Mac (yeah drag to trashcan to delete; no uninstall program to run normally). Of course, there are exceptions to that with a few programs, but that's the norm.

Apple has made getting up NFS on a Mac a PITA in more recent years with their removal of their own install (used to come with server tools) and then that security boot crap nonsense that won't let you modify system files without jumping through boot plus Shell hoops. Even if you turn it off, updates reenable it. They probably got even more crappy on recent OS updates (My Intel Mac Mini was never updated to the OS version that broke 32-bit apps since I have some very expensive pro apps that are 32-bit and I'm not renting Photoshop!

I've got it set up here to also boot Windows 10 and have software on both operating systems to read and write each others drives. Until last KODI Matrix I could boot to either OS and my KODI players around the house wouldn't know or care which OS I was on as the media drives were available on both. The more recent requirement to have an actual stupid login name and password to set up SMB (never used to need it and the Mac certainly doesn't at all require it to access media shared locally) may have screwed that up (haven't booted into Windows in like 2 years now). It's easy to create a dummy account on the Mac to just allow media access, but I'm less sure what to do on Windows. It doesn't seem worth the bother given how little I use Windows anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac0